Islanders Watch - Tank Commander II

X. Benedict

I think the Rangers got in their head. Back in February, the Isles were up by two in the third period and the Rangers, still pretty far back of them in the standings, scored three straight goals to win. Then the Rangers got hot and made a big deal at the deadline and never looked back. The Isles sat on their hands. "We like our team" Darcy style. That, and Tavares has absolutely dried up.

I think the Rangers got in their head. Back in February, the Isles were up by two in the third period and the Rangers, still pretty far back of them in the standings, scored three straight goals to win. Then the Rangers got hot and made a big deal at the deadline and never looked back. The Isles sat on their hands. "We like our team" Darcy style. That, and Tavares has absolutely dried up.

...did you just call Tavares menopausal?

They'll make the playoffs but are not entering with any momentum. Could end up being a decent pick, not like 25th, which was the scenario a short while ago.

Ah, the old momentum myth. I have no idea how this all plays out but history has shown that how you enter the playoffs has little to do with the success you achieve

Ah, the old momentum myth. I have no idea how this all plays out but history has shown that how you enter the playoffs has little to do with the success you achieve

I recently looked at the final 20 regular season games of the eventual Cup champions since the lockout and posted the data in a thread. I can't remember which one. A few teams were "on fire" at the end, but the general trend was a strong, solid finish. FWIW, no one limped home the way they Islanders are. I'll try to find the thread if you're interested.

So if the playoffs started today it would be Isles and Pens. 

I think that one would go deep and the Pens would win. 

I wouldn't be so sure about that, pens have been struggling to make it passed the first round last 2 years and with Letang now out with concussion.

I recently looked at the final 20 regular season games of the eventual Cup champions since the lockout and posted the data in a thread. I can't remember which one. A few teams were "on fire" at the end, but the general trend was a strong, solid finish. FWIW, no one limped home the way they Islanders are. I'll try to find the thread if you're interested.

I would like to see that. While Cup winners is obviously a good example, I remember looking up some similar data regarding teams that won in the first round and it went about 50/50. I think eventually talent wins out but initially, it is more about match ups and adjustments. I remember Lindy's first two years and the team finished horribly before entering the playoffs and making a couple of runs

I would like to see that. While Cup winners is obviously a good example, I remember looking up some similar data regarding teams that won in the first round and it went about 50/50. I think eventually talent wins out but initially, it is more about match ups and adjustments. I remember Lindy's first two years and the team finished horribly before entering the playoffs and making a couple of runs

I have no clue if it is a myth or not either.  Definitively lots of examples, but you hockey is a streaky sport.  So you would think it would lead into the playoffs, but I dont know.  

Cup champs since lockout, last 20 regular season games.

06 -- Carolina -- 9-8-3

07 -- Anaheim -- 15-4-1

08 -- Detroit -- 12-6-2

09 -- Pittsburgh -- 15-2-3

10 -- Chicago -- 11-6-3

11 -- Boston -- 10-6-4

12 -- LA -- 12-5-3

13 -- Chicago -- 13-5-2

14 -- LA -- 12-6-2

I would say Carolina certainly limped and Boston went .500. Otherwise it pretty much just says what you'd expect: good teams player well deep into the season and playoffs.

Yeah, Carolina limped.  McKee limped more.  Otherwise that list would be different.

capitals up 2 with 10 minutes to go, and islanders give up a goal a minute into the game.  Bruins also up fast.  We need a perfect sweep today (go caps, bruins, and senators)

islanders down 2 (3 minutes into the first).  lol islanders score 2 to tie it up in the next 2 minutes

edit: 6 goals in the first 10 minutes.  And detroit missed a true open netter a few seconds ago.  These teams arent the best at the D right now

Edited by Vlad Dangerslakov

Good game between Isles and Wings.  They could swap positions in the standings after today (sink Isles, sink)

Actual trivia question during today's Det-NYI game

Sabres-Isle games 1982.

Three players had the Gordie Howe,  who were they?

Good game between Isles and Wings. They could swap positions in the standings after today (sink Isles, sink)

Actual trivia question during today's Det-NYI game

Sabres-Isle games 1982.

Three players had the Gordie Howe, who were they?

I'd love to hear the answer but here is another one for you. How many did Gordie have in his career?

Exactly although I guess there are still some argument about a possible third. That and the fact he only had 22 fights in his career seems to run counter to the rep. Still a tough sob

No doubt. Cherry did a bit many moons ago, about the need for enforcers, and said that the owner in Detroit had to sit Gordie down and explain to him that he was not a ham and egger but a star like Richard. He said "we're different, I don't skate as pretty." Cherry went on to posit that had they let Howe continue to settle his own scores it would have set the bar for judging all superstar players. I disagree, but I found it interesting.

No doubt. Cherry did a bit many moons ago, about the need for enforcers, and said that the owner in Detroit had to sit Gordie down and explain to him that he was not a ham and egger but a star like Richard. He said "we're different, I don't skate as pretty." Cherry went on to posit that had they let Howe continue to settle his own scores it would have set the bar for judging all superstar players. I disagree, but I found it interesting.

Gordie is one of a kind. Tough as nails. I wonder how many chiklets his elbow knocked out back in the day ?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.