TRADE: Sabres acquire Josh Gorges from Montreal

Hoss

Certainly, but there's no denying that the franchise, its fans and those who cover it exude pompous horse ######.

I don't see how you can say that about the franchise or its fans. What has the franchise done? And aren't its fans a widely diverse group of people?

Think of Bucky and Mike Harrington. Then imagine fifteen Buckys and Mike Harringtons, all writing through their anuses, competing with each other for readership. More than a few of them are going to vie for Press Czar of Turdistan.

This.

Another excellent outcome from this - we have even more reason to dislike the Leafs than before.

I've a feeling we won't be seeing Your Father's Sabres Team on the ice moving forward. ;)

She looks like Flo from Progressive's evil sister.

Yeah, she's got that working for her too! Unlike Flo, she'd be rubbing her hands together and laughing evilly - "We've RAISED his insurance rates due to an accident that wasn't his fault - bwahahahaha!!!"

Edited by Jsixspd

I don't see how you can say that about the franchise or its fans. What has the franchise done? And aren't its fans a widely diverse group of people?

We can nitpick, or we can acknowledge that fanbases have certain generalities applies to each. Acting entitled is something a number of Leafs fans do.

We can nitpick, or we can acknowledge that fanbases have certain generalities applies to each. Acting entitled is something a number of Leafs fans do.

In fairness, I think a fanbase is entitled to be entitled when, from my understanding, every free agent wants to sign in Toronto

I don't think it's nitpicking to disbelieve that a group of literally millions of people can be painted with a broad brush.

In fact, I'll go one step further: I think that pretty much every fan base of every team is more or less the same. Don't believe me? Sit in the nosebleeds in the upper deck at the Ralph, and then do so at any other NFL stadium. It's the same group of drunken meatheads wherever you go. Or listen to the dudes who call in to local sports radio in any city -- it's the same mix of some good comments with a ton of clueless trade proposals.

The big spread, IMHO, is in the quality/tone of local sports media. Some cities (like NYC and Boston) have mostly really sharp, on-the-ball journalists covering their teams. Others (like Buffalo) have mostly 2nd-tier mediocrities. Then there are some, like Toronto and Montreal, where you have a large component of British-royalty-gossip-rag types covering their teams.

I don't think it's nitpicking to disbelieve that a group of literally millions of people can be painted with a broad brush.

In fact, I'll go one step further: I think that pretty much every fan base of every team is more or less the same. Don't believe me? Sit in the nosebleeds in the upper deck at the Ralph, and then do so at any other NFL stadium. It's the same group of drunken meatheads wherever you go. Or listen to the dudes who call in to local sports radio in any city -- it's the same mix of some good comments with a ton of clueless trade proposals.

The big spread, IMHO, is in the quality/tone of local sports media. Some cities (like NYC and Boston) have mostly really sharp, on-the-ball journalists covering their teams. Others (like Buffalo) have mostly 2nd-tier mediocrities. Then there are some, like Toronto and Montreal, where you have a large component of British-royalty-gossip-rag types covering their teams.

I will be the first to demand your resignation.

because rivalry.

Good insight here.

I don't know whether to be comforted or frightened by the fact that sports fans everywhere are essentially the same kind of people when it comes to their teams.

GO SABRES!!!

Despite being called the armpit of America and all the other crap. There will still be Sabres season ticket holders who sell their tickets to Leafs fan. And that, my forum compatriots, is a real travesty.

Imagine the joy of having the Leafs fans booing your player in his home rink loud enough to make a difference.

Sigh.

Exactly. I can't help but laugh each time I hear fans claim to be the best fanbase out there. I wouldn't go so far as to say that all are the same, but there are definitely 3 or 4 types that you could lump all fanbases into. And I don't mean those groupings to be some sort of ranking, it is probably just levels of how laid back one group is versus another. None of us are special. You are going to find at least a handful of team fanbases that are exactly like us.

Despite being called the armpit of America and all the other crap. There will still be Sabres season ticket holders who sell their tickets to Leafs fan. And that, my forum compatriots, is a real travesty.

Imagine the joy of having the Leafs fans booing your player in his home rink loud enough to make a difference.

Sigh.

The Leafs games are the first games I pick every year in my ticket draft. When the Sabres are good, I would not sell them for anything. When they are tough to watch, it's hard to pass up $500 for two tickets (especially when they help pay for the rest of the games).

In fairness, I think a fanbase is entitled to be entitled when, from my understanding, every free agent wants to sign in Toronto

Like Brian Boyle, Dan Boyle, Dave Bolland, Matt Moulson? They all chose other cities over Toronto after TOR showed strong interest...

Like Brian Boyle, Dan Boyle, Dave Bolland, Matt Moulson? They all chose other cities over Toronto after TOR showed strong interest...

I'm thinking your sarcasm meter is misaligned. Or at least that's how I read it, understated humour from our overseas friend. :)

Is it the city? or the team diva (cough....cough....Phaneuf)?

Pass me my Red Bull hat will ya?

Could be the coach to, after i saw that show where they follow the two teams leading up to the winterclassic.

Only thing i could think off: that team is a collection of d.i.c.k.s. lead by a giant asshat (carlyle)

Edited by Heimdall

Exactly. I can't help but laugh each time I hear fans claim to be the best fanbase out there. I wouldn't go so far as to say that all are the same, but there are definitely 3 or 4 types that you could lump all fanbases into. And I don't mean those groupings to be some sort of ranking, it is probably just levels of how laid back one group is versus another. None of us are special. You are going to find at least a handful of team fanbases that are exactly like us.

If I hear the media in Vancouver say that their fans are so knowledgable about hockey again I will puke. That statement is usually followed by 2 or 3 calls during the phone in segment that literally make you want to bang your head off the wall. Actually I think its some kind of collective deep rooted insecurity that makes the fans and media of one city or the other proclaim that they are the best fan base.

If I hear the media in Vancouver say that their fans are so knowledgable about hockey again I will puke. That statement is usually followed by 2 or 3 calls during the phone in segment that literally make you want to bang your head off the wall. Actually I think its some kind of collective deep rooted insecurity that makes the fans and media of one city or the other proclaim that they are the best fan base.

I think it's because sports.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.