Murray Heaven - Hockey Heaven is dead. Long live Murray Heaven

X. Benedict

So far I like what Murray is doing and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on the Ehrhoff buyout. I'm wondering how the rest of the NHL players view it. Not so much that it was done but in the way it was done with basically calling out the player in some real and implied statements.

First of all, it should be clear to anyone now - This team HAD no assets left. Pure and simple. Anyone remotely worth anything went at the deadline. If there were any takers for Ehrhoff whatsoever, don't you think he would've been gone then?

Getting an expensive d-man, who doesn't want to be part of a rebuild, and comes with an imminent threat of a cap penalty, both off the books and off the roster is not mismanaging an "asset", it's handling a cluster###### you didn't create, but have been given the task to clean up after.

He said this morning that there were indeed offers for CE, as in plural. He just felt that CE was almost untradeable because of the contract and the offer would have had to blow him away.

If Darcy Regier had bought out Ehrhoff and received nothing in return for an asset, this board would be ablaze with comments ripping Regier for mismanaging an important asset. However, if Tim Murray mismanages an important asset, he is praised as a conquering hero!

Enjoy your honeymoon Mr. Murray. Someday the jackals will be at your door.

No Murray is just mopping up Reiger's messes....

nothing mis-managed by Murray.. just dealing with the what he was dealt. Obviously nobody wanted Ehrhoff with the contract Darcy gave him

nothing mis-managed by Murray.. just dealing with the what he was dealt. Obviously nobody wanted Ehrhoff with the contract Darcy gave him

Murray said he had multiple offers for Ehrhoff, so that last part is just false. The potential recapture penalty scared Murray enough to not take the offers. It really is that simple.

He said this morning that there were indeed offers for CE, as in plural. He just felt that CE was almost untradeable because of the contract and the offer would have had to blow him away.

The way I understand that, is that part of those offers meant he would've had to take bad contracts in return, and for whatever reason, decided the particular players involved in said deals weren't someone he wanted here.

If a player requires bad contracts coming the other way in order to move him, then - by my understanding of it - he's not an "asset". He's just a bad contract being unloaded for another bad contract.

Others may disagree, but that's how I perceive an asset.

Edited by Kristian

X with an opus and I'm loving the four horsemen!

Who gets here first Samson, or Nikita?

Or do I get me both this year?

Is this the right direction? Who the ###### knows?

At least it is a direction.

Edited by dudacek

The way I understand that, is that part of those offers meant he would've had to take bad contracts in return, and for whatever reason, decided the particular players involved in said deals weren't someone he wanted here.

If a player requires bad contracts coming the other way in order to move him, then - by my understanding of it - he's not an "asset". He's just a bad contract being unloaded for another bad contract.

Others may disagree, but that's how I perceive an asset.

As stated by TrueBlue right above you, the only thing that prevented a trade was the cap recapture. The Hoffs deal is "only"$1M per the last three as i understand it, so GMTM envisons Hoff not playing for that sum and retiring, forcing a $10M cap hit if in last year, right when he sees us in the middle of a being a contender for multiple Cups.

Pretty easy to understand why he was not tradeable

Murray said he had multiple offers for Ehrhoff, so that last part is just false. The potential recapture penalty scared Murray enough to not take the offers. It really is that simple.

Yes and those offers did nothing to offset the penalties that could of came down the road. It is that simple.. WRAP YOUR HEAD AROUND IT. Nobody was offering enough or what it would take to offset that potential penalty.

Murray rahter have the cap space in the future guaranteed. I have no issues with that because we have a plenty of assets in our system and plenty of firepower to add more in the short term

Edited by ddaryl

That mess was created by the league too.

I think they need to print up a shirt with a hand hitting the snooze button of a digital alarm clock where the time reads 5:50......

The time should read 5:45

As stated by TrueBlue right above you, the only thing that prevented a trade was the cap recapture. The Hoffs deal is "only"$1M per the last three as i understand it, so GMTM envisons Hoff not playing for that sum and retiring, forcing a $10M cap hit if in last year, right when he sees us in the middle of a being a contender for multiple Cups.

Pretty easy to understand why he was not tradeable

Fair enough, but that still means he wasn't an asset.

At least to us anyway.

Edited by Kristian

He can talk to Lafontaine's empty chair.....

:clapping:

If Darcy Regier had bought out Ehrhoff and received nothing in return for an asset, this board would be ablaze with comments ripping Regier for mismanaging an important asset. However, if Tim Murray mismanages an important asset, he is praised as a conquering hero!

The mismanagement was in the original contract.

Really like Murray. Especially after this quote from the presser earlier today.

If Buffalo succeeds, Murray knows he’s going to get a lot of the credit, but he knows it’s not all him, “There were assets here, there were good players here. The young guys that are on the team, I talk about Myers and Foligno and Ennis all the time, but also when you have Pysyk and Ristolainen and Zadorov and McCabe on your backend, I mean that’s exciting, so there were good young players that were her before me. If we turn this around it’ll be me getting a lot of the credit, but there’s a foundation here that was here before I got here and I have to recognize that and you have to recognize that.”

And this

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 2m

Tim Murray on Sabres' rebuild: "I knew it was a big job, and I know it’s a job that has to be done the proper way, and that’s hard."

I don't think so, for a couple of reasons - we actually need his cap heavy hit to help get us to the cap floor and its to soon to give up on him. Not comparing him to Pronger or Chara, but they went through similar experiences at this age. Give Myers one more year, at least,.

Jeremy White@JeremyWGR Jun 27

Tyler Myers has a large group of Chara-believers left. Those folks might want to acknowledge that Tim Murray isn’t one of them.

B-)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.