Christian Ehrhoff bought out; Signs with PIT, 1yr $4M

Hoss

Eventually he should be but, if ehroff is trying, there is no way he is there yet. I didn't really watch him enough in the AHL to know of he's ready enough to put up a full season with the big club yet, do you think he is? Even if he's not, barring some crappy ufa dman Murray picks up I'm not sure we have a choice but to bring him up. With Ehroff gone that maes1\3 of our starting defense is gone right?

Agreed. Risto may one day be better than Ehrhoff, but as of now Risto can't lick his jock.

That should be a separate topic :)

What is the penalty by the way? Knowing the league they would change the rules and make the Sabres forfeit their first round draft pick in 2015.

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/22432-how-do-sabres-reach-cap-floor-next-year-and-penalty-for-failing-to-do-so/

IKnowPhysics has a good link in that thread.

Wasn't it announced yesterday that Murray most likely wasn't going to offer contracts to his RFA's including Ruhwedel, McBain and Conacher?

IIRC, it wasn't announced which ones won't be back. If Ruhwedel isn't qualified, pick next scrub D-man on the list and insert his name into the joke. :)

Wasn't it announced yesterday that Murray most likely wasn't going to offer contracts to his RFA's including Ruhwedel, McBain and Conacher?

He didn't name any specific players, just that not all of their RFAs would receive qualifying offers.

Not sure what the 'phantom injury' plan is, didn't see it upthread, nor in the 'real' Ehrhoff thread. ;)

Not sure what they'd be able to give Ehrhoff to guarantee he go along w/ that plan.

I had mentioned in some other thread that we can't Trade him because then we lose control. As long as he is on our team, we could treat him with the Pronger-Method, and keep him on LTIR for years to avoid retirement and recapture. So the options were always only keep or buyout. They wouldn't need to give Ehrhoff anything, they just need the docs on their payroll to say he can't play and he gets to keep his full salary.

Just pay the penalty for not hitting the lower cap limit?

This absolutely would cost us the top draft pick.

Not sure what the 'phantom injury' plan is, didn't see it upthread, nor in the 'real' Ehrhoff thread. ;)

Not sure what they'd be able to give Ehrhoff to guarantee he go along w/ that plan.

It would be a risk, for sure. But I think having a player of Ehrhoff's caliber for cheap when the team is on the rise is worth that risk. Murray disagrees, obviously :lol:

So we all love Tim Murray. Great talent evaluator. Does his comment about Ehrhoff not improving teams move the needle for anyone?

Yes. I am a little disappointed in Tim. That being said, Ehrhoff being bought out sucks. I don't know who will be on the team next year at this point. No longer on the trade Myers train because uhhh we have need him.

Ristolainen is penciled in along with Pysyk on the starting roster now IMPO. Zadorov may end up there as well. Orpik would be a great pickup for us, need a veteran leader.

This furthers my belief that Reinhart will be on the team. He'll get us $4 mill closer to the cap floor. Obviously he'll have to prove he's ready, but I think Murray is under the impression that the many who said he's ready are right.

@BuffNewsVogl: But frankly, Tim Murray says, Christian Ehrhoff's desire to not be part of the Sabres and defenseman's inability to improve team are huge.

@BuffNewsVogl: Sabres GM Tim Murray says he's made it clear that if someone doesn't want to be in Buffalo, he'll get them out. So bye, Christian Ehrhoff.

I hated this move until I read this. If he doesnt want to be here, shake hands as friends and promptly show him the door. I think I am beginning to get a man crush on GMTM, I have a good feeling about the rebuild because of how he is running it...

I had mentioned in some other thread that we can't Trade him because then we lose control. As long as he is on our team, we could treat him with the Pronger-Method, and keep him on LTIR for years to avoid retirement and recapture. So the options were always only keep or buyout. They wouldn't need to give Ehrhoff anything, they just need the docs on their payroll to say he can't play and he gets to keep his full salary.

This absolutely would cost us the top draft pick.

Thanks for the clarification. :beer:

It would be a risk, for sure. But I think having a player of Ehrhoff's caliber for cheap when the team is on the rise is worth that risk. Murray disagrees, obviously :lol:

Apparently TM expected CE to be the disgruntled Ehrhoff we saw at the end of last season. No sense having THAT guy around teaching the young'uns how to (not) be pros.

It makes me question his team evaluating ability. By that logic, the Preds should have bought out Shea Weber last year.

The Predators will never spend to the cap and do not have to worry about peaking right at the moment that a Weber recapture penalty might apply.

They were allowed to be restructured, in a way, that's what we just did with Leino and Ehrhoff.

<_< you know that's not what I meant.

It is what it is. Though Ehrhoff is one hell of a player. He's still on the useful side of his career. It will be interesting if someone claims him. I doubt it though when you can take your chances in UFA.

He won't be claimed because he will never be on waivers. He will refuse to be waived, get bought out, become a UFA.

Somewhere Chad Ruhwedal is smiling right now.

:lol:

Pernell Karl. Bring him to me.

Not familiar with hhim, who is he?

Anyone else think Brooks Orpik is about to get a two year hometown payday?

I'd be willing to throw ssome money at him to fill in big minutes and provide some knowledge of what it feels like to win.

I think Risto is ready. He was the best player on the ice for either team most nights in the A.

If he's ready for it I say bring him up and oair him on the 3-4 pair

It is what it is. Though Ehrhoff is one hell of a player. He's still on the useful side of his career. It will be interesting if someone claims him. I doubt it though when you can take your chances in UFA.

He's not going to choose waivers. He'll bypass the process to pick his next destination.

Apparently TM expected CE to be the disgruntled Ehrhoff we saw at the end of last season. No sense having THAT guy around teaching the young'uns how to (not) be pros.

95% of the team had quit by that point in the season. If Ehrhoff is going to be the scapegoat, whatever, but he was far from the only one to mail it in.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.