71 members have voted

1. 1. Which pick was your favorite?

• Sam Reinhart, C, Kootenay Ice
    • Brendan Lemieux, LW, Barrie Colts
    • Eric Cornel, C, Peterborough Petes
    • Vaclav Karabacek, RW, Gatineau Olympiques
    • Jonas Johansson, G, Brynas Jr. (SWE)
    • Brycen Martin, D, Swift Current Broncos
    • Maxwell Willman, C, Williston-Northampton (USHS)
    • Christopher Brown, C, Cranbrook Kingswood (USHS)
    • Victor Olofsson, W, MODO (SWE)
  2. 2. Least favorite pick?

• Sam Reinhart, C, Kootenay Ice
    • Brendan Lemieux, LW, Barrie Colts
    • Eric Cornel, C, Peterborough Petes
    • Vaclav Karabacek, RW, Gatineau Olympiques
    • Jonas Johansson, G, Brynas Jr. (SWE)
    • Brycen Martin, D, Swift Current Broncos
    • Maxwell Willman, C, Williston-Northampton (USHS)
    • Christopher Brown, C, Cranbrook Kingswood (USHS)
    • Victor Olofsson, W, MODO (SWE)
  3. 3. Overall grade

From everything I had read and heard, it is hard not to get excited about the Sabres future three-five years from now. It's going to be tough waiting it out though.

Agreed, though I wondered about the goalie choice so early and why not Barbashev of Karlsson? Still don't know enough about these guys to make an educated judgement. Haven't watched any of them other than highlights and have no idea of their consistency and motor. We shall see...

Favorite was obviously Reinhart. I would say that the goalie in the third wasn't the one I thought had better upside. I think Husso based on what I watched did. But Devine has drafted pretty well with goaltenders. So it's not the end of the world. Kulda should have been our 7th. I stand by that at least.

To grade the draft, I took my model, www.limedata.us/blog/40.php, and selected what it thought was the top 50 or so players, then see who got those players. This is really rough, no goaltenders, it does a bad job on weird leagues, I never got defensemen scaled right, but according to the model, the better teams, generally, picked better players

Team Picks Total Score

TBL 4 1500

LAK 4 1000

STL 2 1000

NYI 2 1000

TOR 2 1000

CGY 1 1000

BUF 1 1000

FLA 3 900

DET 3 900

EDM 1 900

PHI 3 700

VAN 2 700

AZ 2 700

NSH 3 600

Most everyone else got 1 of the top 50 or so, some, like New Jersey got zero.

The model loves Barbashev, but Tampa Bay traded down instead of taking him, which gives me pause, since Tampa Bay knows this stuff. Barbashev will be my most watched player from this draft.

Tim Murray arrived in town with the second overall pick, 3 seconds, and the ability to take dead money from other teams, and left town farther away from Tampa in talent then he was before. I believe I am the first off the Tim Murray bus.

To grade the draft, I took my model, www.limedata.us/blog/40.php, and selected what it thought was the top 50 or so players, then see who got those players. This is really rough, no goaltenders, it does a bad job on weird leagues, I never got defensemen scaled right, but according to the model, the better teams, generally, picked better players

Team Picks Total Score

TBL 4 1500

LAK 4 1000

STL 2 1000

NYI 2 1000

TOR 2 1000

CGY 1 1000

BUF 1 1000

FLA 3 900

DET 3 900

EDM 1 900

PHI 3 700

VAN 2 700

AZ 2 700

NSH 3 600

The model loves Barbashev, but Tampa Bay traded down instead of taking him, which gives me pause, since Tampa Bay knows this stuff. Barbashev will be my most watched player from this draft.

Tim Murray arrived in town with the second overall pick, 3 seconds, and the ability to take dead money from other teams, and left town farther away from Tampa in talent then he was before. I believe I am the first off the Tim Murray bus.

I have a feeling that teams were scared away by Barbashev's offensive "upside". If you read the write up on him, he sounds exactly like the kind of guy I would want on my team...so you have to wonder what teams were thinking. I personally would have preferred Barbashev as well, from reading about him, but since I have never seen him play, I have to trust that Tim and the staff know what they are talking about.

Team Picks Total Score

TBL 4 1500

LAK 4 1000

STL 2 1000

NYI 2 1000

TOR 2 1000

CGY 1 1000

BUF 1 1000

FLA 3 900

DET 3 900

EDM 1 900

PHI 3 700

VAN 2 700

AZ 2 700

NSH 3 600

Just curious that you only had 1 of the sabres picks in your top 50. Why was Lemiuex excluded?

Just curious that you only had 1 of the sabres picks in your top 50. Why was Lemiuex excluded?

The model is essentially "Do you score enough for your body size?" There's some other things in it, but that's the best way to think of it. If you check Lemieux, he's in the Axel Holmstrom chart, which is about half way down. Now it isn't a bad group, in fact, it's one of my favorite sizes, and he's not far from O'Reilly, but he doesn't score enough. One of the things important to me is are there prospects rated below you that became NHL players, and for Lemieux that's a no (without checking to see if one of these guys is playing in Nashville or somewhere)

Lemieux could be top 50, he's the right size to play, but if I view the players from their perspective, I can talk myself into most anybody. So I tried to do it on a more numerical basis.

Team Picks Total Score

TBL 4 1500

LAK 4 1000

STL 2 1000

NYI 2 1000

TOR 2 1000

CGY 1 1000

BUF 1 1000

FLA 3 900

DET 3 900

EDM 1 900

PHI 3 700

VAN 2 700

AZ 2 700

NSH 3 600

So your off the Tim bandwagon because he did poorly based on your model that seems very flawed? I would have preferred barbi to Lemieux as well but I think you are one of the first to say he is not a top 50 player in this draft. Several even had him pegged as a first round pick.

Team Picks Total Score

TBL 4 1500

LAK 4 1000

STL 2 1000

NYI 2 1000

TOR 2 1000

CGY 1 1000

BUF 1 1000

FLA 3 900

DET 3 900

EDM 1 900

PHI 3 700

VAN 2 700

AZ 2 700

NSH 3 600

I'd like to see your model, but all I get is a 404 Not Found.

Even moreso when they're drafting 18 year olds.

Haven't followed baseball closely in a long time; is that draft rated 2 minutes after completion as well?

Nope - FIVE teams passed on the chance to draft Derek Jeter in 1992, including the Astros, whose scout, Hal Neuhauser, was so ticked off at the Astros for ignoring his advice to draft Jeter that he quit his job. But it took a few years for the colossal stupidity of passing on Derek Jeter become evident! :)

Based on what?

Well, I mean, he was good enough to be considered a first rounder by most experts and was selected with the first pick in the second round... Pretty sure a lot of people in the know are claiming the same thing.

Well, I mean, he was good enough to be considered a first rounder by most experts and was selected with the first pick in the second round... Pretty sure a lot of people in the know are claiming the same thing.

Wasn't asking you but since you insisted, tons of players with much better track records have completely busted. Not sure why that poster was certain of his future success.

I'm happy with Lemieux, but still feel a twinge of pain that Barbeshev was a possibility at 31.

But more than that I'm surprised on the Cornel and Karabacek picks. Macinnis

Was a possibility as was Mckoweon, and Pollock.

I'll trust the scouting department that Cornel and Karabacek have the higher ceilings.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.