NHL BOG adopts new draft lottery for 2015 - NHLPA must okay.

PromoTheRobot

Well, the old saying is that if you play with fire, you get burned. Ever notice that the ones whining the loudest about a change in the rules are the ones that have been abusing it the worst?

I know, right? It's like when they change a bus route. You never hear the people who drive their Lexuses complaining about it. Everyone should just drive Lexuses and stop biching.

Well, the old saying is that if you play with fire, you get burned. Ever notice that the ones whining the loudest about a change in the rules are the ones that have been abusing it the worst?

Except everyone has been operating the last several years under the current plan. Changing it on the fly in one season undermines the work that good GM's have been performing. The NHL screws it up everytime.

I know, right? It's like when they change a bus route. You never hear the people who drive their Lexuses complaining about it. Everyone should just drive Lexuses and stop biching.

You said it better

Sorry, I'll fix it, but it's not that misleading.

Since this topic was raised, I want to say something about threads on SS.

I appreciate the desire to maintain efficiency but it can go too far. Funneling new topics into existing threads makes SS look like a dead board.

I'm sure the dozen or so of you who dominate this board would disagree but anyone who is a casual reader would think that nothing is happening here because the topics never change. I don't have the time or the desire read every thread before posting, nor should I have to.

Take sister site TBD an example. There is a constant influx of new topics. Some may be similar to existing threads, and if they are too similar, a mod closes and/or merges it. Every time I come here it looks like nothing has changed in months. And I'm sure others feel the same way.

So lighten up.

Holding up TBD as a paragon of new thread creation protocol is like saying Darcy is a good GM because he "won the trade deadline."

Oh, that's right.

Not as drastic as some thought: @BNHarrington: #Sabres GM Tim Murray says No. 1 odds next year drop to 19-20 % and confirms they would only drop to No. 2 in '15 if last/lottery loser

That would have to mean the Islander's pick increases slightly in odds, then, no? That wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

On the flip side, the NBA has a system similar to the NHL, and it has done precisely zero to deter tanking. Yes, one player in the NBA means more than in the NHL, but there are also fewer "sure things" high in the NBA draft.

I'm not a huge NBA fan, but I can't figure that league out. Seem the NBA draft every year ends up being about money. Everyone trades their picks or drafts guy who they know won't play in the NBA (Europeans) to avoid a cap hit. And, yeah, they dump every veteran on the roster to load up on picks and tank. Weird league.

BTW - I saw yesterday that the Miami Heat can't even field a team next year without freeing up cap space. LeBron, Wade, and Bosch combined take up over $60 million against the cap, which will be around $63 million. Oof.

Edited by Potato

As of late, I'm having a hard time figuring out which thread is devoted to which topic. They all sort of merge into the same draft/free agents/current roster discussion. This new thread fits a specific topic, which is great.

Trying to navigate through 95 pages of B.S that has little or nothing to do with the topic is quite irritating. Especially when your trying to do it on your phone.

That being said, I realize this post has nothing to do with this topic! Fire me

Edited by Naulter8

I'm not a huge NBA fan, but I can't figure that league out. Seem the NBA draft every year ends up being about money. Everyone trades their picks or drafts guy who they know won't play in the NBA (Europeans) to avoid a cap hit. And, yeah, they dump every veteran on the roster to load up on picks and tank. Weird league.

BTW - I saw yesterday that the Miami Heat can't even field a team next year without freeing up cap space. LeBron, Wade, and Bosch combined take up over $60 million against the cap, which will be around $63 million. Oof.

Yea the new(ish) CBA contributes to the cash thing--the luxury tax for exceeding the cap is very punitive. A major reason the Heat lost to the Spurts was they had no bench because they jettisoned quality role players to save the owner a boatload of money (I think Mike Miller would have cost like $25 million this season if you count the luxury tax impact his contract would have). It's also a unique league with how one superstar can transform an exceedingly mediocre team into a contender. Championship teams use a 9 man rotation, with their superstar(s) playing 40 minutes per game. Give a mediocre team LeBron, and they have a shot at winning it all. Give a mediocre NHL team Crosby, and they may make the playoffs regularly, but they wouldn't be a true contender.

GM TM speaks to what's been agreed to

http://sabres.nhl.co...id=16&iid=47692

He does say that the last place team's odds will drop to 19-20%, alludes to the smoothing of other odds, and confirms that it's only the #1 pick that's up for grabs in 2015 (he calls that a compromise).

Also, who's the Darth Vader taking that audio?

EDIT: I missed him saying it, but someone else just tweeted that GM TM said that in 2016 it will be the top 3 spots up for grabs.

Edited by That Aud Smell

GM TM speaks to what's been agreed to

http://sabres.nhl.co...id=16&iid=47692

He does say that the last place team's odds will drop to 19-20%, alludes to the smoothing of other odds, and confirms that it's only the #1 pick that's up for grabs in 2015 (he calls that a compromise).

Also, who's the Darth Vader taking that audio?

EDIT: I missed him saying it, but someone else just tweeted that GM TM said that in 2016 it will be the top 3 spots up for grabs.

Do we really believe that? Two weeks ago this guy was saying the draft lottery wouldn't be changed! Telling us what we want to hear? Probably not, maybe he should tone it down a little though. Details weren't released for a reason I presume

Sorry, I'll fix it, but it's not that misleading.

Since this topic was raised, I want to say something about threads on SS.

I appreciate the desire to maintain efficiency but it can go too far. Funneling new topics into existing threads makes SS look like a dead board.

I'm sure the dozen or so of you who dominate this board would disagree but anyone who is a casual reader would think that nothing is happening here because the topics never change. I don't have the time or the desire read every thread before posting, nor should I have to.

Take sister site TBD an example. There is a constant influx of new topics. Some may be similar to existing threads, and if they are too similar, a mod closes and/or merges it. Every time I come here it looks like nothing has changed in months. And I'm sure others feel the same way.

So lighten up.

:clapping:

Sometimes the need to post first overrides the care and time it takes to draw up a new thread.

Thread don't need to be 100 pages of cobblygook.

Great we could finish last and draft 4th. Awesome. <_<

In 2016 we could. I'll take it. The team should not (does not) plan to finish last in the 2015 season.

Do we really believe that? Two weeks ago this guy was saying the draft lottery wouldn't be changed! Telling us what we want to hear? Probably not, maybe he should tone it down a little though. Details weren't released for a reason I presume

GM TM strikes me as a straight shooter. Two weeks ago, he was saying what his view of the discussion had been among the GMs. He repeated that view today. Then the Governors voted on this change -- those fellas are above his pay grade. He doesn't like what they did, and he said so. I see no reason for him to tone it down. I think a guy like TM tends to garner respect.

Do we really believe that? Two weeks ago this guy was saying the draft lottery wouldn't be changed! Telling us what we want to hear? Probably not, maybe he should tone it down a little though. Details weren't released for a reason I presume.

Hey you are not allowed to criticize TM on this board.

Holding up TBD as a paragon of new thread creation protocol is like saying Darcy is a good GM because he "won the trade deadline."

Oh, that's right.

O snap! You put me in my place.

BTW, yes, Darcy wins the trades, and yes, TBD is a better board.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Guest Sloth

Thankfully the Sabres, if they finish last, will still be guaranteed a top 2 pick for the 2015 draft. Making changes to make more money is getting out of hand. If it's not broke don't fix it. Fans can lose interests....

My two cents: This is a bull ###### move that is presumably being pushed by someone behind the scenes. Wasn't it just a few weeks ago when this died and now it has reared its ugly head again.

If you are going to change the rules, you do it for a few years down the road. Teams (including the Sabres) have made decisions based on the present system.

Is it a coincidence that this is happening now in advance of the 2015 draft? Obviously not.

Darcy was a good wheeler and dealer.

TBD? Oh boy.

Not saying TBD is the paragon of sanity,but I say PTRs point is valid about the board looks dead and if you are not in the twelve or so posters who dominate, you are pretty much viewed as a moron.

I get y'all think this is a "smarter" board, i don't agree, as there is such a paucity of opinion.

For the few that dominate, i get its a great board.For us others, not so much!

Edited by plenzmd1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.