Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

Too budget-conscious, though. They might pick up one notable UFA, but I don't think two.

I agree. That's what I was trying to say in my post. I just thought of each one individually. I can really see one or the other there, though.

I'll make some bad guesses:

Thomas Vanek, LW to Minnesota

Paul Stastny, C to Dallas

Ryan Miller, G to Vancouver

Andrei Markov, D stays in Montreal

Jarome Iginla, RW state in Boston

Matt Moulson, LW to Dallas

Marian Gaborik, RW stays in LA

Matt Niskanen, D to Detroit

Ryan Callahan, RW stays in Tampa Bay

Jonas Hiller, G to Washington

Brian Boyle, C to Ottawa

Steve Ott, C stays in St. Louis

Mike Cammalleri, LW to New Jersey

Dan Boyle, D to Pittsburgh

Lee Stempniak, RW to Buffalo

Dave Bolland, C to Florida

Radim Vrbata, RW to Pittsburgh

Anton Stralman, D stays in NY

Shawn Thornton, LW to San Jose

Ales Hemsky, LW to Phoenix

Milan Michalek, LW to PHI

Good list.

The only changes I would make is Ott goes to either SJ or Anaheim.

Also Callahan is going to need to come down quite significantly on his contract demands to stay in Tampa. With level of talent they have coming through their system, I cannot see Yzerman committing to a long term expensive contract with him. I have a feeling the Sabres will make him the best offer. Will he take it?

Also Vanek signs with the Wild as you predicted, but gives a home state discount and gets a similar contract to Pommeville.

Good list.

The only changes I would make is Ott goes to either SJ or Anaheim.

Also Callahan is going to need to come down quite significantly on his contract demands to stay in Tampa. With level of talent they have coming through their system, I cannot see Yzerman committing to a long term expensive contract with him. I have a feeling the Sabres will make him the best offer. Will he take it?

Also Vanek signs with the Wild as you predicted, but gives a home state discount and gets a similar contract to Pommeville.

Saw some tweets that the Flyers want Ott. I could see that happening.

Under the radar possibility: Paul Statsny to the Predators. The USA hockey connection is there with David Poille and Peter Laviolette. And, Poille just came back from a trip to Denver.

Saw some tweets that the Flyers want Ott. I could see that happening.

Under the radar possibility: Paul Statsny to the Predators. The USA hockey connection is there with David Poille and Peter Laviolette. And, Poille just came back from a trip to Denver.

Ott would be what they wanted when they acquired Downie but didn't get. Could see it.

I also think the Preds are a match for Stastny. I see somebody giving him a better offer and a prominent role -- just above what he's getting in Colorado.

I also think Ott's tweet about him being extremely jealous of the cup finals shows that he isn't going to go to a place where he almost guaranteed will not win a cup during the contract (meaning no Buffalo).

I think Ott and Callahan will come to Buffalo, at very least we'll get rumors of Moulson to return but he'll end up elsewhere.

An honest question to those convinced Ott will be back: what is the appeal? He seemed to enjoy his time here, but he will not win a cup in the contract he signs here unless god intervenes. So why, if you're actually jealous of the Kings cup, would you give up any shot at it? To lead a group of kids in a place you liked? I'm sure he'd like other cities, too.

The trouble with this kind of speculation is we have no idea what kind of priorities these guys have:

Family, money, security, workplace, role on the team, chance of success, climate, type of market, size of city...

And every guy is going to define those things in different ways.

Edited by dudacek

The trouble with this kind of speculation is we have no idea what kind of priorities these guys have:

Family, money, security, workplace, role on the team, chance of success, climate, type of market, size of city...

And every guy is going to define those things in different ways.

I agree. That's why Buffalo will be the wildcard on everybody that they pursue. Players who value a comfortable family area with more money than they'll get elsewhere will strongly consider us. However, guys that want that plus a chance to win in within the contract they sign won't consider Buffalo.

An honest question to those convinced Ott will be back: what is the appeal? He seemed to enjoy his time here, but he will not win a cup in the contract he signs here unless god intervenes. So why, if you're actually jealous of the Kings cup, would you give up any shot at it? To lead a group of kids in a place you liked? I'm sure he'd like other cities, too.

Ott seems to me to be the kind of player that really enjoys being one of the 'go-to' guys. He likes being the guy everybody looks up to and relies on in the locker room. He knows if he came back to BFLO that that would describe his role. I think if he went to a contender he might just be another 3rd liner.

I just don't know if I want a guy with limited skill to lead a group of young kids. He may be able to teach them how to handle themselves off the ice, but on the ice, as far as actual production goes, he can't teach a lick... Well a lick may be all he can teach.

I just don't know if I want a guy with limited skill to lead a group of young kids. He may be able to teach them how to handle themselves off the ice, but on the ice, as far as actual production goes, he can't teach a lick... Well a lick may be all he can teach.

Ott still managed to be 5th in goals on the team even though he was traded. He was only 14 hits out of the team lead. 2nd best in faceoffs. Not to mention all I hear on here is 'grit this, grit that, grit, grit, grit, grit grit...........'. Ott has more of it than anybody on the team.

Most importantly, he has work ethic. THAT is tougher to come by in this league than talent. If anything, that is the most important thing to teach young players. When this team gets to the point of having 3 lines of talent exceeding Ott's, then this becomes an issue. Trust me, that won't happen for a while.

I don't know if I've soured this much on Ott because I don't think he's really worth the while or because I just don't see him considering us over the other teams who can offer a relevant role on a contender... Probably the latter.

I don't know if I've soured this much on Ott because I don't think he's really worth the while or because I just don't see him considering us over the other teams who can offer a relevant role on a contender... Probably the latter.

Regardless, at bare minimum we need Ott or Callahan, even if it means a massive contract for 1 or 2 years. The Sabres are supposed to be entertaining, I'm all for tanking but at very least give me some players to watch aside from Girgs and Risto.

Regardless, at bare minimum we need Ott or Callahan, even if it means a massive contract for 1 or 2 years. The Sabres are supposed to be entertaining, I'm all for tanking but at very least give me some players to watch aside from Girgs and Risto.

The team doesn't need to be entertaining. They need to be whatever they can be that helps the future product on the ice. A leader like Callahan may help, but is he going to give up winning?

The team doesn't need to be entertaining. They need to be whatever they can be that helps the future product on the ice. A leader like Callahan may help, but is he going to give up winning?

Actually they have to be entertaining, seeing as this is a sport which you must pay to see. It is the company's responsibility to entertain us. Additionally the team needs vet leaders at very least, whom work their butts off.

I will concede with your second point

Actually they have to be entertaining, seeing as this is a sport which you must pay to see. It is the company's responsibility to entertain us. Additionally the team needs vet leaders at very least, whom work their butts off.

I will concede with your second point

The issue is that they don't have to do what the fans want just like the fans don't have to buy tickets. Of course that's a ###### way to do business that doesn't work well for either side, but it's likely the route taken this season.

Well, in reality, many fans want the team to suck.

Edited by Tankalicious

IMO I don't see any way how you can spin what's in store for this season as entertaining on the whole. Losing is never fun or entertaining to me, but it can be acceptable with an eye towards a brighter future. One more ###### sandwich to force down.

Not trying the season as a whole must be entertaining, but the games individually need to be entertaining. I'm not willing to watch another game that plays like it was under Rolston's tenure. Nolan helps a ton, but we'd still need an Ott/Callahan to give us more than the youngsters to watch.

Not trying the season as a whole must be entertaining, but the games individually need to be entertaining. I'm not willing to watch another game that plays like it was under Rolston's tenure. Nolan helps a ton, but we'd still need an Ott/Callahan to give us more than the youngsters to watch.

I think the games were less exciting down the stretch than they were with Rolston at the helm. As far as competing goes the team was 2-12-2 with a -24 goal differential in the last 16 games. In the first 16 games (all the games Rolston coached) the team was also a -24 but had a 4-11-1 record.

This is because the last 16 games featured far less talent than the first 16 did, but the talent likely won't improve too much going into the season.

I'm betting Philly just decided to throw money at Ott.

The team needs to be better next year, with more close losses.

I think 14 points better overall would be perfect.

I wish I was as optimistic. But 10 points better is about all I can hope for. That Oct-Nov schedule is not a practice friendly slate that a young team needs.

I don't see them winning more than 7 games.

Nolan has his work cut out for him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.