Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

Well, I think Drouin was considered at least as good as Reinhart and Tampa sent him down last year. A lot of top-5 guys (in fact I think it's the majority) still go back to juniors for 1 year.

Sure, but Drouin was considered an incredible prospect because of his offensive ability. He got sent down because he was raw defensively. Reinhart was considered an incredible prospect because he already has a great all-around game. Being "as good" doesn't mean that Drouin was considered as NHL ready.

And Murray has made some strong indications that we'll see Reinhart get a shot. I mean there's always a chance that he stinks up the camp, but it's doubtful. Signing Legwand because there's a chance Reinhart isn't ready doesn't make sense for the team or Legwand. What does he become if Reinhart does make it? A 4th line center? Probably not what he's looking for.

Edited by Tankalicious

Sure, but Drouin was considered an incredible prospect because of his offensive ability. He got sent down because he was raw defensively. Reinhart was considered an incredible prospect because he already has a great all-around game. Being "as good" doesn't mean that Drouin was considered as NHL ready.

And Murray has made some strong indications that we'll see Reinhart get a shot. I mean there's always a chance that he stinks up the camp, but it's doubtful. Signing Legwand because there's a chance Reinhart isn't ready doesn't make sense for the team or Legwand. What does he become if Reinhart does make it? A 4th line center? Probably not what he's looking for.

Well, I agree that TM has indicated that SR is going to get a shot, but I believe him when he said that if SR isn't ready for the NHL, he's going back down. And there is plenty of room in the Sabres' forward ranks for Legwand.

Well, I agree that TM has indicated that SR is going to get a shot, but I believe him when he said that if SR isn't ready for the NHL, he's going back down. And there is plenty of room in the Sabres' forward ranks for Legwand.

What're the odds GMTM gets everything he wants in leaving Reinhart in juniors this season? Samson gets to develop some more, and there's no risk a gifted center can rocket the Sabres all the way to 25th.

Well, I think Drouin was considered at least as good as Reinhart and Tampa sent him down last year. A lot of top-5 guys (in fact I think it's the majority) still go back to juniors for 1 year.

Yzerman was on record saying the only reason Drouin got sent down was because he's a top-6 player and they didn't have a top-6 roster spot to give him. It was a simple numbers game.

Pretty similar to Foligno. :)

Except Foligno has better hair, and gets criticized for not playing to his skill set.

Yzerman was on record saying the only reason Drouin got sent down was because he's a top-6 player and they didn't have a top-6 roster spot to give him. It was a simple numbers game.

Looking at our depth chart, Samson has a spot to lose. TM acquired enough talent to put him in a position to succeed. And he is mature enough for the next step. Can he deal with NHL size and speed?

Except Foligno has better hair, and gets criticized for not playing to his skill set.

Looking at our depth chart, Samson has a spot to lose. TM acquired enough talent to put him in a position to succeed. And he is mature enough for the next step. Can he deal with NHL size and speed?

I think he'll surely get a look in the 9 games he allowed to play with us, but i don't think it's a lock he stays with us.

Rumor is we're still in the running with David Legwand. He'd be such a perfect pickup for this team. I just might soil myself if we sign Leggy.

Maybe Ott is the next guy down the line after Leggy?

What about Legwand makes you want to soil yourself? He's a former bust of a first round pick who has turned into a middling, meaningless player. I guess he can show Reinhart how to turn the #2 overall pick into a pile of dookie.

O'Reilly is still available until Saturday. He is only 23 and had a great year last year. Sakic totally pissed him off by taking him to arbitration over his contract, I think we could get him. He is young with a huge ceiling, very talented and not a midget (6ft 200 lbs). Would definitely help us down the middle. Maybe our number 2 center behind Reinhart?

What about Legwand makes you want to soil yourself? He's a former bust of a first round pick who has turned into a middling, meaningless player. I guess he can show Reinhart how to turn the #2 overall pick into a pile of dookie.

If playing almost 1000 NHL games with the club that drafted you is a "bust" then I certainly hope Reinhart is a "bust." ;)

Leggy is big, fast, hits, fights, and he plays in all situations. Good power play guy, good penalty killer. More of a passer than a shooter. Not an 80 point guy, but definitely a difference maker. I've watched the guy play in person the last 5 years so I have a very good idea of what Leggy brings to the ice.

That said, he will probably end up in Ottawa, Toronto, or Edmonton. Doesn't sound like the Sabres are really in the mix.

O'Reilly is still available until Saturday. He is only 23 and had a great year last year. Sakic totally pissed him off by taking him to arbitration over his contract, I think we could get him. He is young with a huge ceiling, very talented and not a midget (6ft 200 lbs). Would definitely help us down the middle. Maybe our number 2 center behind Reinhart?

That's great and all, but signing him means goodbye 1st round pick next year. No one in their right mind is going to give up that pick... Unless his name is Garth Snow

If playing almost 1000 NHL games with the club that drafted you is a "bust" then I certainly hope Reinhart is a "bust." ;)

Leggy is big, fast, hits, fights, and he plays in all situations. Good power play guy, good penalty killer. More of a passer than a shooter. Not an 80 point guy, but definitely a difference maker. I've watched the guy play in person the last 5 years so I have a very good idea of what Leggy brings to the ice.

That said, he will probably end up in Ottawa, Toronto, or Edmonton. Doesn't sound like the Sabres are really in the mix.

All threats to the Tank. Hopefully he ends up with one of them.

That's great and all, but signing him means goodbye 1st round pick next year. No one in their right mind is going to give up that pick... Unless his name is Garth Snow

I assume he wouldn't want to offer sheet him, but I don't think the Sabres have an asset that makes it worthwhile for Colorado.

I assume he wouldn't want to offer sheet him, but I don't think the Sabres have an asset that makes it worthwhile for Colorado.

Maybe an offer built around Hodgson? He replaces O'Reilly at center and he's signed for the future (although Avs might have that contract, we might have to take on a bad one of theirs to make it work).

Buffalo cannot submit an offer sheet to him unless he agrees to less than 3.36 Million a year( but not between 1.1 to 1.68) or if they want to go over 8.4 Million per year. Anything in between those numbers requires a teams 3rd round pick in 2015, which the Sabres do not have. ROR is a great player but I cannot see TM giving up 4 First Rounders for a probable second line center.

This is the breakdown:

Signing a restricted free agent

The compensation a team receives for losing a restricted free agent is based on how much the player signs for. The former team receives draft picks from the new team.

$1,110,249 or below No draft picks

$1,110,250-$1,682,194 Third round

$1,682,195-$3,364,391 Second round

$3,364,392-$5,046,585 First, third rounds

$5,046,586-$6,728,781 First, second, third rounds

$6,728,782-$8,410,976 Two first, one second, one third round

Over $8,410,976 Four first rounders

Drouin is not a good comparison. Even with his "extra" season, he only has 128 games in junior. Reinhart already has 203.

Maybe an offer built around Hodgson? He replaces O'Reilly at center and he's signed for the future (although Avs might have that contract, we might have to take on a bad one of theirs to make it work).

Trading for Oreilly would be a coup. Hodgson, a second and St. Louis first would be a start.

Now that Legwand has signed with the Senators.....perhaps Murray calls Steve Ott. IMO Murray was waiting to hear back from Legwand.

O'Reilly for Hodgson + Grigorenko + BUF 2015 2nd + throw in (ex. Luke Adam) ? I think that's pretty close.

O'Reilly + COL 2015 1st for Myers + BUF 2015 2nd is also very interesting.

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Buffalo cannot submit an offer sheet to him unless he agrees to less than 3.36 Million a year( but not between 1.1 to 1.68) or if they want to go over 8.4 Million per year. Anything in between those numbers requires a teams 3rd round pick in 2015, which the Sabres do not have. ROR is a great player but I cannot see TM giving up 4 First Rounders for a probable second line center.

This is the breakdown:

Signing a restricted free agent

The compensation a team receives for losing a restricted free agent is based on how much the player signs for. The former team receives draft picks from the new team.

$1,110,249 or below No draft picks

$1,110,250-$1,682,194 Third round

$1,682,195-$3,364,391 Second round

$3,364,392-$5,046,585 First, third rounds

$5,046,586-$6,728,781 First, second, third rounds

$6,728,782-$8,410,976 Two first, one second, one third round

Over $8,410,976 Four first rounders

When we're tanking, offer sheeting is no way to go through life. I wouldn't want to move a 31-35 pick for a player that signs for $1.6M-$3.3M, let alone what could be multiple top five picks.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.