Free Agent Frenzy 2014

Hoss

Chris Nichols@NicholsOnHockey 41m

Vrbata's agent, Rich Evans, on Team 1040: We understand he'll be given an opportunity to play with the twins. #Canucks

:w00t:

Cheez. I agreed to marriage so I could have the opportunity to play with the twins on a regular basis. Vrbata only had to commit to 2 years. i think he got the better deal by far.

PA doesn't owe an apology. WE should be thanking him, now that Terry has finally taken his advice.

Very nice.

Grabovski and Kulemin to the Isles. Crap.

These were two guys that played fairly prominent roles during the leaves perennial playoff drought.

Beat me to it. I'm fine with them importing all of the ex-Burke-era-Leafs they can find.

One way to compensate for a bad defense is to push the play and just have to play less defense overall...today's signings help accomplish that.

What a steal. Amazing.

I'm not convinced that the Islanders have accomplished this with these two signings. These are not bad signings, four years may be a bit long but if probably took the four years to get the deals done. IMO, these are plan B and C signings. I can't imagine that even the Islanders went into July 1st targeting Grabovski & Kulemin.

Oh, so Eleven is the one stirring this up? Not a surprise!

I've never questioned Pegula's financial commitment. Anyway, would today be the day for recrimina-she-owns against Pegula's critics? Did he win something yesterday?

Actually, if any posters should be hung in effigy, it's those who didn't want Tim Murray (or a Tim Murray) on day one of Pegula's ownership.

Look at the job Jim Nill is doing in Dallas. What he has done in just over a year is amazing. Pegula was late to the game on this one. At least he finally made it by hiring Tim Murray.

I have this weird feeling he's waiting for the Sabres offer, which is contingent on a trade Murray is trying to make.

I'm getting the same feeling. Murray said something like Ott not fitting the plans right at this time. Considering the number of forwards the Sabres have it would make sense that the plan is to move a Stafford or Hodgson out to bring Ott back.

The Isles were one of the worst defensive teams last year (let in the third most goals per game - only Florida and Edmonton were worse). I don't see how these pickups do anything to address that. Teams that can't defend very often end up at the bottom of the standings... I still think the Isles will be in the running for worst overall.

They overhauled their goaltending as well. Halak in May, and Chad Johnson the other day. No Nabokov, who was brutal last season (and a principal reason for their D struggles).

The Isles are trending toward being a bubble team, not a bottom 5 one.

As for how the Isles are trending, this is a path that TB expressly said that the Sabres could follow, but won't. TB called that path a 'treadmill of mediocirty' at a STH event earlier this year.

Then again, the Isles have their cornerstone guy in JT. So they're arguably more obligated to push, and less able to tank.

They overhauled their goaltending as well. Halak in May, and Chad Johnson the other day. No Nabokov, who was brutal last season (and a principal reason for their D struggles).

The Isles are trending toward being a bubble team, not a bottom 5 one.

As for how the Isles are trending, this is a path that TB expressly said that the Sabres could follow, but won't. TB called that path a 'treadmill of mediocirty' at a STH event earlier this year.

Then again, the Isles have their cornerstone guy in JT. So they're arguably more obligated to push, and less able to tank.

I don't think most are too impressed with what they have done so far. They've also got the added stink of being the Islanders and still having Garth Snow running the show. They have such a prolonged period of suck that we really should expect them to be bad once again. They're in that same neighborhood of the Bills where I'll believe they are turning the corner only when I actually see it.

The only good thing thus far from our side of the NYI situation is that they didn't really upgrade their defense. I would suspect that Reinhart will be added to that group but you have Visnovsky, Harmonic, Carkner, B. Strait, Hickey, Brennen, with 1 or two RFA rookie guys in there, that is not a stellar defensive group. I foresee the Islanders being better than 5th overall at the draft and again falling in the 10-15 range. Depending on how things gel they could be a bubble team.

Looks like we were right about Ott. Murray's quote to WGR:

“I don’t know if he’s a possibility, we’re working on some things here. I talked to his agent last night after I talked to you guys and explained to him that with what we did, it may make it more difficult, but what we may do today could make it easier, so in saying that, I said there’s still interest, but I can’t certainly tell you not to pursue other things and I assume that’s what they’re doing.”

Looks like we were right about Ott. Murray's quote to WGR:

“I don’t know if he’s a possibility, we’re working on some things here. I talked to his agent last night after I talked to you guys and explained to him that with what we did, it may make it more difficult, but what we may do today could make it easier, so in saying that, I said there’s still interest, but I can’t certainly tell you not to pursue other things and I assume that’s what they’re doing.”

Interestingly, that makes it sound like Ott is waiting for our situation to sort itself out before moving on.

I think that's another plus for "Players actually do want to come to Buffalo"

I actually feel for Ott. Sounds like he wants to be here.

But the last-place team in the league, the team he was the captain of, is hesitating.

I get why. There are 12 NHL forwards pencilled with Larsson, Reinhart, Girgorenko, and Armia being expected to get a shot.

I think Murray is looking to move Stewart and plunk Steve into his roster spot.

But I suspect if Stewart (or someone else) is not moved today, the Ott door will close. Too bad.

But the last-place team in the league, the team he was the captain of, is hesitating.

I get why. There are 12 NHL forwards pencilled with Larsson, Reinhart, Girgorenko, and Armia being expected to get a shot.

But I suspect if Stewart (or someone else) is not moved today, the Ott door will close. Too bad.

I think this is likely the case as well. GMTM has likely told Ott's agent what he is trying to get done and asking them to be patient. But obviously this has a time limit and I'm sure GMTM knows that.

I think this is likely the case as well. GMTM has likely told Ott's agent what he is trying to get done and asking them to be patient. But obviously this has a time limit and I'm sure GMTM knows that.

I imagine term is probably the issue with Ott. If I'm his agent I'm looking for a 4 year deal to take him to age 35.

I imagine term is probably the issue with Ott. If I'm his agent I'm looking for a 4 year deal to take him to age 35.

This is probably the case as well. I guess the question for Otter is whether he gets that anywhere in the league. He didn't exactly have a good showing during his time with St. Louis. He might already be considered washed up.

I'd think he would want to go to 34. Wouldn't he be more attractive to teams at under 35? I know if I were a GM I'd never touch a 35+ contract for a vet with limited skills who has played a hard game his whole career.

This is probably the case as well. I guess the question for Otter is whether he gets that anywhere in the league. He didn't exactly have a good showing during his time with St. Louis. He might already be considered washed up.

He fits on any roster for face-off ability alone. I think the agent's strategy was to let the market settle and find long money with term rather than the best short term payout. Otter will have plenty of options.

I'd think he would want to go to 34. Wouldn't he be more attractive to teams at under 35? I know if I were a GM I'd never touch a 35+ contract for a vet with limited skills who has played a hard game his whole career.

one year contracts for a player like Ott after 35 are fine, assuming he has something left in the tank, and really thing the Pronger situation in Philly has alleviated the fears of most GMs on the 35+ rule. LTIR cures everything.

one year contracts for a player like Ott after 35 are fine, assuming he has something left in the tank, and really thing the Pronger situation in Philly has alleviated the fears of most GMs on the 35+ rule. LTIR cures everything.

Fair enough. I hadn't really considered a series of 1 year deals to close out his career.

He fits on any roster for face-off ability alone. I think the agent's strategy was to let the market settle and find long money with term rather than the best short term payout. Otter will have plenty of options.

Oh, DR is his manager now?

Also, as a guy is starting to get into his 30s, he's going to realize that each contract could be his last. Getting that one extra year on his contract right now is guaranteed money that may very well not be available to him when the contract expires.

Why would moving a RW hold up a deal on signing Ott - a LW that takes faceoffs?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.