Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

When someone, in this very thread (I think), as recently as last week, posts a full paragraph, with no return keys and filled with number signs, stating how stupid this organization is because it has playing lights out (points-wise) to make a mad dash 15th in the east, and they are ruining their chance to get McEichel,,... they are implying that the tank is the only way to go.

The only implication is that people would much rather have McDavid or Eichel as opposed to whoever would be drafted at 8th overall.

When someone, in this very thread (I think), as recently as last week, posts a full paragraph, with no return keys and filled with number signs, stating how stupid this organization is because it has playing lights out (points-wise) to make a mad dash 15th in the east, and they are ruining their chance to get McEichel,,... they are implying that the tank is the only way to go.

I simply don't think said poster should be taken seriously, and I most certainly don't believe the reasonable pro-tankers should be lumped in with that sort of a tirade.

Edit: I'm too lazy to look. Who was it?

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Sharder has hit the nail on the head. No pro-tanker or anyone has or ever will imply that having McEichel is the only way to win a cup. When some of us are pissed about some of these wins it's because we would still rather pick 3rd or 4th rather than 10th or 11th. I want our young guys to look good and improve but there are still several futures not on this squad that 4 more months of losing is worth it IMO.

By the way is this some kind of witch hunt?

Sharder has hit the nail on the head. No pro-tanker or anyone has or ever will imply that having McEichel is the only way to win a cup. When some of us are pissed about some of these wins it's because we would still rather pick 3rd or 4th rather than 10th or 11th. I want our young guys to look good and improve but there are still several futures not on this squad that 4 more months of losing is worth it IMO.

By the way is this some kind of witch hunt?

I'm just glad I can swim. I'd rather be hanged than drown.

I simply don't think said poster should be taken seriously, and I most certainly don't believe the reasonable pro-tankers should be lumped in with that sort of a tirade.

Edit: I'm too lazy to look. Who was it?

The specific post I'm not sure. But I know several, myself included, have expressed their anger with the current steak. That doesn't indicate that they/we believe McEichel is the only way. We may believe it's the best current plan, and therefore are expressing our anger.

It'd be like seeing reports that we just decreasd our offer to a marquee free agent who was already unlikely to come here. Everybody would express their disgust with that. Doesn't mean they think we can't win without that player.

People just want to believe there's a group naive enough to believe that McEichel is the only way. Believing that allows them to feel and express that their anti-tank position is superior and smarter. It's not. We don't know which plan is better, really. Let's stop acting like it.

I find your continued promotion of this strawman distasteful horseshit. Nobody has said this, and I'd like to think you're a smart enough guy to be able to vehemently disagree with the tanking approach without needing to build a strawman to tear down.

And I have no idea on earth how you consider the tank to be a quick fix or the easy way out. The tank strategy can take several years to even get back to being mediocre, and you have to watch some truly horrid hockey in the meantime...I fundamentally do not understand how that's easy or quick.

This is about as dickish of a post as I've seen on this board and I've been around here for a long time.

Oh you are specifically saying, "No one has said the only way we will win a cup is tank"

I suppose no one has said that but there has been an avalanche of "McEichel gives us the best chance to win a cup and we must complete the tank or it was worthless"

And while no one may have stated it explicitly it again has been heavily implied.

I mean you have to admit there has been a ton of posts about how winning is screwing up the tank and mediocrity is coming back if we don't get McEichel and the tank was worthless without McEichel etc...

I will give you that - I hate when people say the Tank is/was a waste if they don't land McEichel. I hope this team finishes last but stay in the bottom 4 or 5 and I will still argue it was worth it.

This is about as dickish of a post as I've seen on this board and I've been around here for a long time.

You must not have seen your own post then.

The specific post I'm not sure. But I know several, myself included, have expressed their anger with the current steak. That doesn't indicate that they/we believe McEichel is the only way. We may believe it's the best current plan, and therefore are expressing our anger.

It'd be like seeing reports that we just decreasd our offer to a marquee free agent who was already unlikely to come here. Everybody would express their disgust with that. Doesn't mean they think we can't win without that player.

People just want to believe there's a group naive enough to believe that McEichel is the only way. Believing that allows them to feel and express that their anti-tank position is superior and smarter. It's not. We don't know which plan is better, really. Let's stop acting like it.

That's fair. I just don't think a hashtag-filled tirade does a bit of good, and it most certainly doesn't help the (mis)perception that's out there about the tank.

We're not talking about the players though. We're talking about operations. You don't tank unless management and coaching is in on it. And if GMTM and Ted want to tank, then they should be fired.

But where do you draw the line? There's an extremely fine line, some say none at all, between management trying to tank and management selling off all assets in a "rebuilding" mode. But the later seems to completely acceptable in sports and sometimes even desired. Is selling off your older but valuable players the same as tanking?

Then there's the Andrew Luck argument. Do you think you can find a single fan in the Indy area who wishes they won a game or 2 instead of getting Luck? Are they all not true fans?

I think the whole tank thing is pretty easy to define. Many people want a superstar on this team and the suffering only has to continue 4 more months. Me, I'll take 30th place right now and be happy. I will also be the first to admit that when we were almost 2 points from 8th, I wanted to win that game. My ridiculous look at a playoff spot lasted all of 2 periods this season. I am now completely fine with going back to my normal mindframe (Sabres and Edmonton are the 2 worst teams in the league.

But where do you draw the line? There's an extremely fine line, some say none at all, between management trying to tank and management selling off all assets in a "rebuilding" mode. But the later seems to completely acceptable in sports and sometimes even desired. Is selling off your older but valuable players the same as tanking?

Then there's the Andrew Luck argument. Do you think you can find a single fan in the Indy area who wishes they won a game or 2 instead of getting Luck? Are they all not true fans?

Selling off assets is not tanking. That's just how you rebuild. The tank has a clearly defined process that includes trying to lose. Now, if GMTM were to continue gutting this team even as they begin to show promise of forming a good foundation, that to me would indicate a desire to lose.

What I expect is that aside from getting some value for UFAs GMTM isn't going to do much to this team to upset their progress. That would be counter to his job of trying to build a winner. You don't establish a culture and then remove the key players in that establishment.

This thread is like beating your head against the wall,... it's going to feel great when it stops.

FTR, I'd rather have the 1st pick instead of the 9th as well, but I'll worry about that in the summer. Right now I just want to watch good hockey.

The Cup people that's what this tank was all about and right now I would much rather have a superstar at 1 or 2 to lead the charge for the ultimate goal. Let's face it a player like McDavid or Eichel would help this rebuild big time. Their work on and off the ice speaks volumes and will rub off on the current bunch of players and prospects we currently have. I have seen to many also ran teams with Buffalo and want a top team for years to come. I don't think ownership and the hockey department signed off on this tank if it wasn't for this draft and last years. Let's face it yeah they are winning games but too many issues with this current club to make this kinda climb to get back in the playoff race. I'm a diehard fan like everyone here or we wouldn't be posting but I want to see a franchise superstar lead this team. The pieces are falling into place it just the big gun we need now instead of a climb to a 5-10th pick.

No this thread is like if there were 9 people on an island arguing about the best way to catch the magic lizard and two sides developed. The side in favor of waiting for the magic rain to carry the lizard downhill, and the side waiting for the lizard to answer it's letter. Nothing ###### makes sense, the sides don't exist, and the points don't matter

This thread is like beating your head against the wall,... it's going to feel great when it stops.

FTR, I'd rather have the 1st pick instead of the 9th as well, but I'll worry about that in the summer. Right now I just want to watch good hockey.

Nah dude, it's better to instill a culture of losing in the team now so that McJesus can lead us to salvation. Don't you know how to win?

Well then you're in for bitter disappointment either way :nana:

I think you would really have to question the character of any player if 4 months of losing ruins them forever.

If your boss spent four months sh*tting on your desk would you be feeling really upbeat and encouraged about your situation? Because that's what a tank would feel like to these players.

Selling off assets is not tanking. That's just how you rebuild. The tank has a clearly defined process that includes trying to lose. Now, if GMTM were to continue gutting this team even as they begin to show promise of forming a good foundation, that to me would indicate a desire to lose.

What I expect is that aside from getting some value for UFAs GMTM isn't going to do much to this team to upset their progress. That would be counter to his job of trying to build a winner. You don't establish a culture and then remove the key players in that establishment.

Gutting is a pretty perjorative term. What if "gutting" is just getting rid of players he doesn't see as part of the solution. Let's say GMTM doesn't think Ennis is big enough to have a spot on the team long term. If he gets an offer for a player (or near-NHL prospect) that he thinks will be a solid contributor, should he not make the trade, appearances and wins this season be damned?

I think you would really have to question the character of any player if 4 months of losing ruins them forever.

I agree. Like I said before mediocre talent can only take u so far. A lot of these players are playing in spots where they wouldn't be on real playoff contending teams.

Gutting is a pretty perjorative term. What if "gutting" is just getting rid of players he doesn't see as part of the solution. Let's say GMTM doesn't think Ennis is big enough to have a spot on the team long term. If he gets an offer for a player (or near-NHL prospect) that he thinks will be a solid contributor, should he not make the trade, appearances and wins this season be damned?

My big question is Enroth looks to be winning over the coaches with his play of late. I want to know the long term fix for these goaltenders. We have a bunch coming and then you still have what to do with Stafford, Stewart and a couple of other players. I agree we can't just get rid of all these players for non-roster players. At some point u need to stop grabbing picks and get actual players. Problem I see is u won't get much for any of them.