Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Didn't you want Mantha?? Or we shouldn't draft anybody from the Q but somebody else can and then we trade for them?

Yea, I did. Still wouldn't mind having him. It was hyperbole.

Jeez you have to correct everything and add your two cents yadda yadda yadda :P

Didn't know I needed somebody else's permission to make a comment. I'll wait for others to start subjects.

The Q is notorious for bloated numbers. You, of all people, should know that. In fact, I think I've seen you make those same statements before. If it wasn't me saying it you'd be all caps agreeing.

Ever heard of hyperbole?

Slow your role sparky. I asked about the q because it was a little random especially without a specific prospect to be discussing. I'm not disagreeing the q lacks defense and has bloated offensive numbers. That said you don't toss the prospect out with the league. It really is a player by player discussion as far as the league versus the points.

Slow your role sparky. I asked about the q because it was a little random especially without a specific prospect to be discussing. I'm not disagreeing the q lacks defense and has bloated offensive numbers. That said you don't toss the prospect out with the league. It really is a player by player discussion as far as the league versus the points.

My real feeling on Q players is if you're having trouble deciding between two and have them graded similarly go with the kid that's not in the Q.

The stats may be inflated in the Q as opposed to other leagues, but a good scout shouldn't be fooled by that. The attributes/abilities of a player should still be evident to any scout that knows what they're doing, so dismissing a player from the Q based on stats is a poor reason to do so.

I agree with the stuff upthread about not wanting Crouse with our top pick because of his lack of elite offence.

But he has been growing on me during WJC.

I see a lot of what I like about Fasching in Crouse. Hard working, big, good skater - just a very honest hockey player built for playoff hockey.

Would be very happy with him with pick two, even if it meant trading up.

I agree with the stuff upthread about not wanting Crouse with our top pick because of his lack of elite offence.

But he has been growing on me during WJC.

I see a lot of what I like about Fasching in Crouse. Hard working, big, good skater - just a very honest hockey player built for playoff hockey.

Would be very happy with him with pick two, even if it meant trading up.

Younger player on the team. My observations of him are he's a beast on the fore check and wins a majority of the battles he's involved in. Would be a great character guy to have in the dressing room, next to McDavid!

I do admire that about Tank. He can dish it out but also can take it when it is slung at him.

I think he finds solace in the fact that most of the time he's right. :o

Agree with you dudacek. Crouse is a guy you want on the ice come playoff time. He's not putting Derek Roy junior numbers but he's a very big body who skates well and throws the body around. His hands don't appear to be elite but the still look to be above average. His goal a couple of games ago was pretty nice. I wouldn't want him with our first (hopefully top 5) pick but I'd trade up to 10 or 12 if he lasts that far.

That's the highest I've seen Crouse and especially Rantanen.

Well if you say he's over rated. Don't worry about how he looked great at the WJC or how many scouts who get paid to do this for a living feel he's firmly in the top 10. The point is he isn't 6'1 and plays to his size which makes him so unique.

Edited by Derrico

Rantanen had a good WJC. I liked Crouse there too.

Interesting to see Marner has failed to move up despite all the scoring he's been doing.

I have a feeling some very good players are going to drop.

Hopefully we'll be in a position to take advantage.

He looked good at the WJC not great. I would expect him to look good. Hell if I was 6'4" 212lbs as a 17yr old kid I would have looked good too. I'll trust that Murray and Devine aren't taken in by his "potential". The skill isn't there to warrant a top 5 pick for this kid.

Edited by LGR4GM

He looked good at the WJC not great. I would expect him to look good. Hell if I was 6'4" 212lbs as a 17yr old kid I would have looked good too. I'll trust that Murray and Devine aren't taken in by his "potential". The skill isn't there to warrant a top 5 pick for this kid.

I don't think he's top five either, but he's much better player than Zach Kassian or Nick Ritchie.

Crouse is not an empty shell painted to look like Brendan Shanahan. He's a smart kid and he works hard.

I agree that top 5 might be a touch lofty but I could easily see him in that 6-8 range. Sabres fans have been clamoring for a big guy who actually uses his size for the longest time. It's not like the guy can't score, he's put up some good numbers in the past (Ivan Halinka tourney jumps to mind). He's almost Zadorov's size with his ability/drive to hit and a higher ceiling but on the forward end of the ice. Mix that with his Girgs work ethic and he's a great power forward prospect. Below is a good write up on him.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/frontenacs-lawson-crouse-turning-heads/

I don't think he's top five either, but he's much better player than Zach Kassian or Nick Ritchie.

Crouse is not an empty shell painted to look like Brendan Shanahan. He's a smart kid and he works hard.

I agree he is better than those two guys and he is a hard worker. He will probably be an NHL player but he doesn't strike me as a top 6 guy. He really reminds me in some ways of Deslauriers with a better shot.

On a completely different note. I think with one of our later first round picks Evgeny Svechnikov 6'3" 205lbs would be a great addition to the prospect pool. I really like this kid. He is a left handed shot with smooth skating and some good offensive vision. He plays in the Q and there are some questions about his defensive game but... by all accounts he is improving and he is very dedicated to getting better. Svechnikov has an Oct 31 b-day so he is one of the oldest members of his draft class and this is his first season in NA. 13g, and 24a thus far in 29games played. If I had a pick between 16-22 this would probably be a guy high on my list.

Deslauriers with a better shot? Wow.

I really don't care. He plays a heavy game, good backcheck, lacks offensive vision at times, will dig pucks out of corners, has a decent shot and solid edge work. There isn't elite offensive talent there. Crouse is a safe pick.

Fair enough, I just thought the Deslaruiers comparison was a little far. It will be an interesting few months for these draft eligible players. Especially looking forward to seeing what some of these guys can do in the playoffs.