Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread

LGR4GM

Here is the December rankings from Hockey Prospects.

http://www.hockeypro...draft-rankings/

I totally agree with Zacha and Marner going 4 & 5 ahead of Strome and Crouse.

The Sabres should pray Strome is available as late as 8th overall.

I still have no idea what Crouse is doing in the top ten. And now he's ahead of Strome at #6 overall?

Weird stuff.

The Sabres should pray Strome is available as late as 8th overall.

I still have no idea what Crouse is doing in the top ten. And now he's ahead of Strome at #6 overall?

Weird stuff.

Actually I've been pretty impressed with crouse this wjc. I've never seen him before the world junior tourney and although he hasn't been on the score sheet much he is a very powerful forward and had several chances. He's a big guy who skates very very well and plays physical. His hands still look ok and if he can find his scoring touch then look out. I'd love trading both later round firsts and possibly more to move up and take crouse if he falls to around 10. Keep an eye on him today in the game.

Actually I've been pretty impressed with crouse this wjc. I've never seen him before the world junior tourney and although he hasn't been on the score sheet much he is a very powerful forward and had several chances. He's a big guy who skates very very well and plays physical. His hands still look ok and if he can find his scoring touch then look out. I'd love trading both later round firsts and possibly more to move up and take crouse if he falls to around 10. Keep an eye on him today in the game.

The part in bold is why I wouldn't want him in the top ten. Not interested in drafting prospects that will apparently figure out how to score at some later date TBD in the top ten, and maybe not even in the first round. Use the later picks for the "maybe he'll figure out how to score someday" guys.

And, yes, I realize that by saying all this I'm causing the universe to set events in motion that will absolutely result in the Sabres using their 1st on Crouse. You can look forward to my "OK, I'm getting more comfortable with this pick the more I read about Crouse" posts by the end of June. And then my "WTF did we ever draft this guy?" posts 1-2 years later.

The part in bold is why I wouldn't want him in the top ten. Not interested in drafting prospects that will apparently figure out how to score at some later date TBD in the top ten, and maybe not even in the first round. Use the later picks for the "maybe he'll figure out how to score someday" guys.

And, yes, I realize that by saying all this I'm causing the universe to set events in motion that will absolutely result in the Sabres using their 1st on Crouse. You can look forward to my "OK, I'm getting more comfortable with this pick the more I read about Crouse" posts by the end of June. And then my "WTF did we ever draft this guy?" posts 1-2 years later.

I can see your point and that's exactly how I usually think. I would look at his stats and say why the heck is this guy in the top ten. But watch him the rest of the tourney. I changed my tone after watching him. You just never see guys play that big and physical and have A plus plus skating ability. He's like a heat seeking missile out there. He's only played third line minutes but they have created a ton of scoring chances. We will see how he continues to progress. Just saying from what I've seen he looks much better than his stats show.

Marner took over the OHL scoring lead (71 points) yesterday with a 2G 3A afternoon vs Sarnia.

He now leads Strome by 4pts - each have played 36 games.

Marner is now averaging 1.97pts per game for the season. However, over his last 28 games he is averaging 2.43pts per game.

to compare - McDavid in his 18 games before being hurt was scoring at a clip of 2.83pts per game. Pat Kane scored at a rate of 2.50 pts per game in his draft year with the Knights. Kane turned 18 in November of his draft year while Marner won't turn 18 until May of his draft year.

Few things I noticed about Marner from some highlight surfing:

=> He's smart. He knows where to be, and he knows how to read other players, in both offensive and defensive situations. He sets up a ton of plays, almost entirely by himself. He's great at stealing the puck, and has a solid fore check ability.

=>Wicked wrister. Loves to shoot high where the cookies are

=> Solid speed, but not blinding. He can win a foot race, but it's not when makes him so good.

=> Obviously he's too small. I didn't see anything about how he handles play along the boards, but that open space/time he takes advantage of in the OHL won't be available in the big leagues

=> Going along with his brains, he's also very creative. You get distracted watching him, only to watch his pass go behind you for a wide open goal from his teammate.

=> He looks like he's 17, so he'll definitely get bigger. Hopefully he can develop that mullet some more too.

Highlights of Marner in November

Everything indicates he's a top 5 pick. So he'd either be a real nice consolation prize, or we'd have to have GMTM/Garth Snow magic to have 2 top 5 picks.

Who would you make Marner's linemates if the Sabres drafted him?

Reinhart and Fasching just off the top of my head

Edited by WildCard

Marner would eventually be Reinharts RWer i would doubt he would be in NHL next year but would go back to the knights

you can see from DuClair and Domi how well Samsonworks with speedy wingers. not sure i would rank Marner above Zacha yet. the scout who i was able to talk with rated his skating as A+ and would rank him higher than all 2014 forwards.

Marner would eventually be Reinharts RWer i would doubt he would be in NHL next year but would go back to the knights

you can see from DuClair and Domi how well Samsonworks with speedy wingers. not sure i would rank Marner above Zacha yet. the scout who i was able to talk with rated his skating as A+ and would rank him higher than all 2014 forwards.

So Zacha would also be better than all 2014 forwards then too? What about Strome?

Tell us more! If you're talking to scouts you're basically going to have to start posting every day in this thread.

So Zacha would also be better than all 2014 forwards then too? What about Strome?

Tell us more! If you're talking to scouts you're basically going to have to start posting every day in this thread.

I would love to have a direct line to an NHL scout but I unfortunately don't, just a conversation while at an OHL game a few weeks back.

I would love to have a direct line to an NHL scout but I unfortunately don't, just a conversation while at an OHL game a few weeks back.

Yes I hear ya. I would love to sit in on that end of year scouting meeting where they finalize the list of draft players.

Marner falls right behind Strome for me. Then Barzal after Marner.

Good breakdown WildCard.

Thanks.

I'd tale Marner over Strome merely because I feel like we already have a Strome in Reinhart. Strome's size is really appealing, but I think he offers the same skill set Reinhart does.

Can we agree to never draft players from the Q? Their numbers are always bloated and they end up either taking forever to develop or just never do. They probably get used to dominating and then don't know what to do when they actually have to work for points.

Can we agree to never draft players from the Q? Their numbers are always bloated and they end up either taking forever to develop or just never do. They probably get used to dominating and then don't know what to do when they actually have to work for points.

Yeah, that Crosby guy really sux.

Two questions.

One: who has been talking about the Q?

Two: what?

Two questions.

One: who has been talking about the Q?

Two: what?

Didn't know I needed somebody else's permission to make a comment. I'll wait for others to start subjects.

The Q is notorious for bloated numbers. You, of all people, should know that. In fact, I think I've seen you make those same statements before. If it wasn't me saying it you'd be all caps agreeing.

Yeah, that Crosby guy really sux.

Ever heard of hyperbole?

Didn't know I needed somebody else's permission to make a comment. I'll wait for others to start subjects.

The Q is notorious for bloated numbers. You, of all people, should know that. In fact, I think I've seen you make those same statements before. If it wasn't me saying it you'd be all caps agreeing.

Ever heard of hyperbole?

Didn't you want Mantha?? Or we shouldn't draft anybody from the Q but somebody else can and then we trade for them?