Semifinals Thread

Eleven

It is really neat how often young goalies can steal a show. One of my favorite parts of the playoffs, wondering if someone can come out of nowhere and make a name for themselves.

Ed Staniowski ...

Lundqvist has some great stats for this post-season. After 17 games, a GAA of only 1.99, and a .931 SVG%.

Henrik has delivered my favorite moment of the playoffs so far - when he casually squirted Crosby in the face with his water bottle as he skated past! Hard to top that one - "You're all wet, Sidney!" LOL!!!!

Raise your hand if you thought the Rangers would be this good in the playoffs.

Lundqvist is playing exceptional. But the one thing I notice about the Rangers is their top 2 lines apply some nice pressure in the offensive zone. The trade for St. Louis has paid off in spades.

But, and there is always a but, they haven't faced off in a series with an opponent the western conference has to offer. Chicago and LA are extremely well rounded rosters.

I can't think of the last time a trade deadline acquisition made the difference St. Louis is making.

Also occurred to me: Vigneault (sic?) has his roster on the verge of the SCF. Tortorella is out in Vancouver. I suspect it's ground that's been covered before, but -- man. Whither the "We *heart* Torts" club?

Edited by That Aud Smell

Raise your hand if you thought the Rangers would be this good in the playoffs.

My hands remain at my sides.

Everyone talking about St. Louis: Remember when there was a website dedicated to "has he scored for the Rangers yet?" Remember articles like this? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1999389-martin-st-louis-is-an-easy-scapegoat-for-new-york-rangers-offensive-woes

When it's a Sabre (Vanek), we really criticize this type of streakiness. St. Louis was almost a bust; now it's the greatest deadline deal ever.

Everyone talking about St. Louis: Remember when there was a website dedicated to "has he scored for the Rangers yet?" Remember articles like this? http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1999389-martin-st-louis-is-an-easy-scapegoat-for-new-york-rangers-offensive-woes

When it's a Sabre (Vanek), we really criticize this type of streakiness. St. Louis was almost a bust; now it's the greatest deadline deal ever.

I still don't know how the Rangers have gotten this far. They didn't impress me at all during the regular season.

I also think there's a chance they blow this. Although they look extremely confident at the moment. I just don't know.

Two words: Henrik Lundquist

He's been good. But he's not the only guy winning these games. The Rangers are actually scoring goals which they struggled with during the regular season. They seem to have found their chemistry at just the right time.

He's been good. But he's not the only guy winning these games. The Rangers are actually scoring goals which they struggled with during the regular season. They seem to have found their chemistry at just the right time.

Two more words: Carey Price.

St. Louis has been a huge upgrade over Callahan . Elite talent is key and perhaps Callahan is overrated due to his high effort leadership skills

Everyone talking about St. Louis: Remember when there was a website dedicated to "has he scored for the Rangers yet?" Remember articles like this? http://bleacherrepor...-offensive-woes

Yup, St. Louis was invisible for weeks after the trade. Shuffling him around with different linemates and he just wasn't finding it. I had to scratch him from my fantasy team during championship week, haha. And this is the owner of last season's scoring title!

It is good to see him succeed now, though. Gotta love him.

Does anyone think Callahan is anything more than a 3rd liner on a good team?

On a good team? Could be second line, depending upon the composition of the team. On a great team? Only his mom, wife, and agent think so.

On a good team? Could be second line, depending upon the composition of the team. On a great team? Only his mom, wife, and agent think so.

Right. Don't get me wrong, I'd take him in a heartbeat and he'd be a first liner on this crappy team but he's the embodiment of a checking line player.

Does anyone think Callahan is anything more than a 3rd liner on a good team?

This talk of Callahan is very ignorant. Torts to a degree as well.

Why are the Sabres such a cluster-f? Because of the long standing soft culture that was engrained.

How are the Rangers winning? By having 4 lines of guys who give effort and play the body, while having a enough balance and skill. Their defense is as balanced as it gets in the combo of skill/size/physicality.

Look at guys like Krieder, Boyle, and Zuccarello. They all had Callahan around from the time they came up. They net Nash and Broussard with other young forwards that came up under Callahan. You add in guys from other systems that have some character...and it's a go.

The biggest difference this year compared to the past 2 is that guys aren't collapsing in front of Lundqvist and getting blown away. The defense has enough skill to transition, and the culture built over the years leaves fairly responsible forwards who don't make it easy on either side.

It's like having birds ready to leave the nest. When you have a Drury, you birds just can't be flamers like Connolly, Roy, Pommers. Zuccarello is 5'7" and I swer he plays like he is 6'1" 200 lbs.

I don't think anything you said counters my point and I agree with it

You were just the last comment in a string. And yeah...on the Sabres he is 1st line.

It's sort of like when Lindy got here. If you didn't have the attitude and effort engrained the previous few years, that team doesn't get that far. Once it is instinct, you can loosen up the system because guys can be trusted and he added some talent. Albeit St' Louis and Nash are a step up from Sanderson and Juneau.

Vancouver was searching for toughness and a hammer for years even though they had plenty of skill. Now the skill is falling off and Torts couldn't flip the switch in a season. Who knows...NY could still choke, but they look like they will be in it to the end.

Butch Goring ....

This talk of Callahan is very ignorant. Torts to a degree as well.

Why are the Sabres such a cluster-f? Because of the long standing soft culture that was engrained.

How are the Rangers winning? By having 4 lines of guys who give effort and play the body, while having a enough balance and skill. Their defense is as balanced as it gets in the combo of skill/size/physicality.

Look at guys like Krieder, Boyle, and Zuccarello. They all had Callahan around from the time they came up. They net Nash and Broussard with other young forwards that came up under Callahan. You add in guys from other systems that have some character...and it's a go.

The biggest difference this year compared to the past 2 is that guys aren't collapsing in front of Lundqvist and getting blown away. The defense has enough skill to transition, and the culture built over the years leaves fairly responsible forwards who don't make it easy on either side.

It's like having birds ready to leave the nest. When you have a Drury, you birds just can't be flamers like Connolly, Roy, Pommers. Zuccarello is 5'7" and I swer he plays like he is 6'1" 200 lbs.

I agree. This matters and it's way I am willing to overpay for Callahan (a good second liner in today's NHL).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.