Sabres Fan Schadenfreude

IKnowPhysics

Why the arbitrary use of the past 7 years? The contrarian shtick pre-dates the last seven years, when yes the Sabres were indeed on the cusp of a Stanley Cup.

Buffalo Sabres Stanley Cusps

How bad are we really? Can you walk out of a game and find a rack full of shirts that say "Yankees suck... Jeter swallows", "Beat LA", "Payton Manning's gay", "Eli Manning's gay", or something anti-Montreal (I forget what that one says)? Yeah, we truly are a pathetic fanbase.

Don't forget 1976.

Most of the lemurs had visions of Stanley Cusps dancing in their heads, which were derailed in the second round of the playoffs by, none other than, the expansion NYI team.

We need banners.

Do we have banners for all those damn Conference Championships?

How bad are we really? Can you walk out of a game and find a rack full of shirts that say "Yankees suck... Jeter swallows", "Beat LA", "Payton Manning's gay", "Eli Manning's gay", or something anti-Montreal (I forget what that one says)? Yeah, we truly are a pathetic fanbase.

At times it crosses the line with violence or with profanity in front of kids etc, but damn these are only games after all that we are passionate about. I still contend that if you can't let go for a few hours from the grind of real life and "hate" a bitter rival, which by the way isn't mutually exclusive with respecting that same rival, then you have indeed missed out on a big part of what it means to be a passionate sports fan.

At times it crosses the line with violence or with profanity in front of kids etc, but damn these are only games after all that we are passionate about. I still contend that if you can't let go for a few hours from the grind of real life and "hate" a bitter rival, which by the way isn't mutually exclusive with respecting that same rival, then you have indeed missed out on a big part of what it means to be a passionate sports fan.

I'd much rather see someone indulge in a rivalry a bit while they're wearing a shirt for their own team, not something that bashes the other team. It's definitely more from the bandwagon variety of fans, but you'll see plenty of people who are only there to hate on the other team. They can't name the starting SS but they do know that the Yankees suck.

My personal favorite was one Sabres-Bruins game I was at. The entire time this idiot behind me is giving me crap because of my Sabres jersey. At one point in the 2nd period, I hear him ask his buddy "hey, why do they sell foam bear claws here, that doesn't make any sense".

Are these from Philly or Boston?

This is the worst franchise in the league

Here is my preseason post from the prediction thread.

The Sabres are the worst team in the NHL currently, but they're not even close to the worst franchise. In terms of long-term viability they are in great shape -- probably better than 20 other franchises. And if Murray and Nolan are good at their jobs I think we'll have some playoffs and some success in the playoffs sooner rather than later.

Good job on those predictions -- but we should admit that there is a bit of cherry-picking going on here.

Maybe someone can front me $50K to produce a message board documentary and go through the last 7 years of posts, the personalities involved, and then interview the relevant parties involved. Get a couple psychologists on board....we can have a winner.....

Should I be embarrassed to admit that I would love to watch this documentary?

Someone front Ghost the money.

In the meantime, enjoy the schadenfreude with me.

Holy mackerel. I had not seen that Subban hit on Marchand.

And yes, I enjoyed that bit of schadenfreude. Much obliged.

My personal favorite was in 2004. The Red Sox had just won the Series for the first time in anyone's lifetime. They had done it in a sweep of the Cardinals.

I was in college at the time, and happened to be working at the Food Court that night. A group of students from Boston came marching through the building chanting, "Yankees Suck" over and over. They marched all over campus chanting the same thing. It was so sad.

That is a fanbase that is broken by their Schadenfreude.

IIRC, didn't Sox fans break out the "Yankees suck" chant during their friggin' victory parade too?

I think DeLuca may get his Red Sox fan card revoked by admitting on a public forum that he can't work up any hatred for the Yankees.

My personal favorite was in 2004. The Red Sox had just won the Series for the first time in anyone's lifetime. They had done it in a sweep of the Cardinals.

I was in college at the time, and happened to be working at the Food Court that night. A group of students from Boston came marching through the building chanting, "Yankees Suck" over and over. They marched all over campus chanting the same thing. It was so sad.

I'm almost willing to give them a pass on 2004 since they pulled the 0-3 comeback against the Yankees, but yes, like CV said, they've broken out that chant at each of the world series parades. It's something that permeates every level of sports here. Go to a BU or BC hockey game while they're playing someone like UNH or Maine and you will see/hear plenty of "Sucks to BU" or "BC sucks". That's another complaint of mine for any of these rivalries (and I'm not limiting this to Boston here). Can we please come up with something more creative than saying that team X or player Y sucks? It's gotten beyond the point of lazy.

IIRC, didn't Sox fans break out the "Yankees suck" chant during their friggin' victory parade too?

I think DeLuca may get his Red Sox fan card revoked by admitting on a public forum that he can't work up any hatred for the Yankees.

During their Superbowl Victory Parade. In February.

that was outstanding. i really enjoyed swirling that one around in my mouth before heading off to bed, chuckling.

There's just no point in any of this, it just comes across as petty and sad. As a "hockey fan" in on the best hockey markets it becomes embarrassing at times.

complete and total poppycock.

Fans bases like Buffalo's, that hate successful teams, and good players on other teams, come off as downtrodden people living in third world countries who throw rocks at the arrogant Americans driving past in their Hummers.

holy cripes - that's an apotheosis of nonsense.

what're we talking about? we're talking about pro sports. we're talking about entertainment. if your team is on the skids, and you want to take some small joy in the downfall of a (far more successful) team that you detest -- not because they're 'successful' (c'mon -- like we're all Hater-ade drankers)) -- but because they have some history with 'your' team (and who gives a flip if the rivalry is reciprocated -- the failure to return the rivalry vibe can just feed the hate!) -- then, for God's sake, do it. DO IT.

or, find your wee patch of invented moral high ground, and go on about your business of respecting the ever loving sh!t out of those successful teams (see below).

That's not a "true fan experience" I ever want to be a part of. As a Sabres fan I have great respect for teams like the Bruins and Penguins. As a Red Sox fan I have great respect for a franchise like the New York Yankees. As A Bills fan I have great respect for the New England Patriots. I also have great respect for the great sports cities like New York, Boston and Chicago. I have no need or desire to put other sports teams or cities down to distract from where my teams are at the moment. I don't need to rail on other fan bases or manufacture league wide conspiracy as so many here do. We here claim to be among the best and most knowledgeable hockey.sports fans around. We can't be if we continue as a group to allow our jealousies and inferiority complex rule the day. We should as a group be better than this. It's drags the board as a whole down to a level which is extremely unflattering.

I think the "whole board" has disagreed with Deluca and PA for almost the past 7 years.....yet here we are....with a point total closer to zero than the President's Trophy.....

'being right' ... a privilege (of sorts) afforded to those who spend their time being pessimistic.

Who's right been right all along? I don't care.

<snip>

nothing is less interesting to me than someones need to be right. It doesn't make for a very interesting discussion.

hear, hear.

Edited by That Aud Smell

DeLuca, Ghost, did either of you guys think it was awesome when, after being spurned by Lindros, the Nords cashed in all the assets they required from Philly and promptly won the Cup while Lindros never did?

'being right' ... a privilege (of sorts) afforded to those who spend their time being pessimistic.

This is the crux of my point. The Sabres are the worst team in the league by miles after bringing in the Supposed A1 most awesome owner who had unlimited cash and was the biggest fan. People took a lot of crap for saying Pegula was a giant red flag and this thing was going to keep going to the toilet. It wasn't a simple, "they won't win the cup".

I won't speak for others, but when I see something good about the Sabres, I will say it. If you look at the draft/Girgensons thread a couple years ago...I was probably the biggest Gus trumpeter here. Optimists were actually saying to cool my jets. I said the kid was a can't miss and would be wearing a letter in no time. I also gave credit for drafting Grigorenko because at least they took some risk, and already had a guy who was going to have a high basement in Girgensons, so why not?

As far as I'm concerned...I'm not always right...not by a longshot. I'll eat crow. I thought the Bills were going to figure it out with Gailey/Nix and was maybe their biggest supporter. When they got fired after 3 years...I wish they had more time, but I understood they had to go.

I just HATE when quality posters get lambasted for "negative" views on the Sabres, even after establishing correct track records over the years. Heck, even I was thanking them and thought they had it figured out when Lafontaine came in. But I also warned that I could see the dangerous scenario of him leaving in short order if Battista became more than an observer and he really didn't get final say. It's a constant taking shape, but I will at least lay out the process of different scenarios playing out. I'd love to sit back and say I'm confident the Sabres are on a great track and will be good for a long time. I can't say it won't happen, but the hurdles they need to overcome with where they are and who is on board....when my concerns get confirmed time and time again....I'd be a fool to say they are in great shape. I sincerely hope I'm wrong and Pegula is the most understood genius with an 170 IQ of all time. Unfortunately, I see what I see.

Why the arbitrary use of the past 7 years? The contrarian shtick pre-dates the last seven years, when yes the Sabres were indeed on the cusp of a Stanley Cup.

I was only around since the end of 2006. I actually was all-in thinking they had a real shot. I don't know what was happening here before then. I turned sour on them early in '06-'07 when it was evident they were lacking talented grit and talking a big game. PA would regularly tell me to stuff it then, so I know he wasn't knocking the Sabres on a regular basis.

You see it is only a message board. Half the time I don't even bother to see who is writing what. I respond to the message.

Who's right been right all along? I don't care. If you feel you were right 5 years ago, or last month, or last week, I don't care.

On the reverse of the same coin - I'm not tracking whether you were wrong either. I don't care.

Whether you want Milan Lucic in some fictional trade or not....or a blue eyed Taylor Pyatt (that I seem to remember) :lol: .....I'll respond to it today, but i'm not digging up the history.

So the idea that you keep getting ignored by Sabrespace history is probably true. But it is true of everyone else too. You don't win, you don't lose.

But seriously, my memory is declining. I'm just not able to keep track. If I can't keep track, please don't take it personally.

But beyond that, nothing is less interesting to me than someones need to be right. It doesn't make for a very interesting discussion.

I see this as a problem.

If you don't pay attention to who posts what...and the board is about discussing, critiquing and enjoying an entity that has many parts which need to be evaluated to determine past/present/future performance....then how can you even honestly critique a player, coach, etc.? If you say Matt Ellis is an All Star coming into the league and keep saying it.....you HAVE to take notice. Just like you HAVE to take notice that Matt Ellis isn't an all star by just watching him on the ice for any stretch of games.

It's probably not an issue for those who usually have been neutral-supportive of the team all along. Unless I see someone conspicuously throwing grandiose praise towards something or someone that doesn't deserve it....I just let it go as someone's opinion. When it is the other way though....over the years I've seen some pretty nasty stuff. It hasn't been bad the past few years because the fanbase has come to acceptance that this is a bad team.

Pretty much my take on it too.

I'm wrong half the time, people rarely rub it in.

And when I'm right, I don't go "told you".

Live and let live.

While you trend towards Stormcloud over the years, I'm not sure I've seen anyone personally attack you like others. Maybe because most of your posts come at early morning hours so there isn't as much of a chance for a "live" debate?

When you get attacked, your natural defense is going to be to defend your point. In this thread you have the "it's easy to be right when you're a pessimist", "It's safe to be negative", "Only 1/30 teams wins".....OK? If that's the case, here's me detailing not only the Sabres to be a horrible team this year...but who I think will be good and why. I could say "They won't win the Cup!" about all 30 teams and have a 97% success rate. I didn't though. I gave 4 exact teams that would be in the final 4, and named 1 that I thought had the best chance to upset that possibility and 2 teams I felt were underrated and could be good.

I'm wrong plenty of times. I'm pointing out a faulty argument.

And I'd still marry Taylor Pyatt.......

DeLuca, Ghost, did either of you guys think it was awesome when, after being spurned by Lindros, the Nords cashed in all the assets they required from Philly and promptly won the Cup while Lindros never did?

Not sure how to look at this?

Are you saying that by overpaying for grit, the acquiring team didn't have success and the Nords made the smart move?

Or are you saying that it is stupid to label guys as Generational Talents because often they don't live up to their expectations?

Should I be embarrassed to admit that I would love to watch this documentary?

I think it is marketable, except for the fact that it would be about one team that is a small market in a niche sport. If this was the Red Sox board, and you could identify their posters who get a scuttlebutt going....it would have a shot.

I'd love to get waivers from 50 or so posters and match up their internet personalities to everyday life, family, job, etc.

I see this as a problem.

If you don't pay attention to who posts what...and the board is about discussing, critiquing and enjoying an entity that has many parts which need to be evaluated to determine past/present/future performance....then how can you even honestly critique a player, coach, etc.? If you say Matt Ellis is an All Star coming into the league and keep saying it.....you HAVE to take notice. Just like you HAVE to take notice that Matt Ellis isn't an all star by just watching him on the ice for any stretch of games.

It's probably not an issue for those who usually have been neutral-supportive of the team all along. Unless I see someone conspicuously throwing grandiose praise towards something or someone that doesn't deserve it....I just let it go as someone's opinion. When it is the other way though....over the years I've seen some pretty nasty stuff. It hasn't been bad the past few years because the fanbase has come to acceptance that this is a bad team.

[snip]

And I'd still marry Taylor Pyatt.......

Judging a post by it's content regardless of it's poster doesn't really relate to critiquing hockey people. That's either a mighty stretch, or I am just misunderstanding your point entirely.

And those eyes... If only I were a fish in that sea.

Why does saying somebody's point is terrible turn into some perception that it's about being negative or positive? Some posters make negative points that suck, and some make positive points that are just as bad. The whole "it's embarrassing to hate on a bitter rival, and you only do it out of jealousy" is a hilariously bad point. The poster didn't get jumped on for being negative, he/she/it got jumped on for having a terrible argument.

Judging a post by it's content regardless of it's poster doesn't really relate to critiquing hockey people. That's either a mighty stretch, or I am just misunderstanding your point entirely.

And those eyes... If only I were a fish in that sea.

Oh...judge it by it's content for sure. I'm just saying...you wouldn't judge a hockey player game by game....you'd look at his body of work.

If Sydney Crosby goes 15 games without a goal, it's logical for someone to say, "He's just in a really bad slump or maybe he is injured."

If Matt Ellis goes 15 games without a goal and someone says that.....no.....

It's easy enough in my opinion to do that with posters. I'm sure plenty of people think I can be/ am a know-it-all ahole. That will discount what I say for some. That's understandable. Some people will see what DeLuca writes and go at him. If some poster who mainly lurks says the same thing....might not even be a thing said.

It goes all ways, but most people a fair.

Why does saying somebody's point is terrible turn into some perception that it's about being negative or positive? Some posters make negative points that suck, and some make positive points that are just as bad. The whole "it's embarrassing to hate on a bitter rival, and you only do it out of jealousy" is a hilariously bad point. The poster didn't get jumped on for being negative, he/she/it got jumped on for having a terrible argument.

It's a valid point in my opinion. It's a psychological phenomenon. It's not the only reason...but it's valid.

Maybe it's an effect of getting older....but I just worry about what I can control and my nesting area. The refs can have a bad game, you can get a bad luck injury, so and so can take physical liberties with you....but 95% of the outcome, you control.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.