Penguins Clean House

stenbaro

What did they do wrong?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nolan's probably among the right head coaches for what we're trying to accomplish in the next few years.

I don't know that's a compliment, since a good deal of the next year or so entails MOAR tanking! ;)

W

IMO? They failed to define the team. What exactly are the Penguins now? How would you define the character of that team? Besides "Hey we're the Pens, we just supposta win".

Interesting point. The Pens identity really became "that team with Crosby."

In contrast - most teams still alive in these playoffs are defined by the style they play more than by any one player.

IMO? They failed to define the team. What exactly are the Penguins now? How would you define the character of that team? Besides "Hey we're the Pens, we just supposta win".
Interesting point. The Pens identity really became "that team with Crosby."

In contrast - most teams still alive in these playoffs are defined by the style they play more than by any one player.

Good stuff.

If the conventional wisdom is that Nolan gets the axe once the team is closer to contending — at the expedient moment — and you'd be looking for a Bylsma then, why not put the coaching piece in place now?

Bylsma? Oh hell no.

With the exception of his first year when he was still using Therrien's system, Bylsma as done nothing but lose control of his players and watch the team underachieve. No no no no no no way I'd want him anywhere near the Sabres - now or in the future.

I just heard that Botterill wasn't fired. I wonder if he is the interim.

yes.

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Botterill will get strong consideration for Pens GM job but Pens have already reached out to other organizations about other candidates...

NBC Sports@NBCSports

Assistant general manager Jason Botterill will serve as the Penguins' interim GM and will be a candidate to take the job permanently.

Edited by LGR4GM

yes.

Pierre LeBrun@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Botterill will get strong consideration for Pens GM job but Pens have already reached out to other organizations about other candidates...

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 5h

PIT assistant GM Jason Botterill likely to take over on an interim basis. Shero likely to immediately become frontrunner for GM job in WSH.

Interesting. Thanks.

"Reaching out" is the verbal phrase I hate the most in today's journalism. So deliciously vague. It gives the whiff that something has happened however imprecisely.

I don't know that's a compliment, since a good deal of the next year or so entails MOAR tanking! ;)

Well, Nolan did show a couple of flashes of trying to untank our tank, until Murray traded away the captain, goalie, leader in points per game, and arguably the hardest working 4th liner we had.

But that's what we want on a young team, not what what we want in the tank.

FIRE HIM!

Then REHIRE HIM NEXT YEAR!

And his record without those two in the lineup is still pretty impressive. FFS, he's a good coach.

So if the Sabres had (arguably) the best two centers on the planet, an all-star winger and defenseman, and continually disappointed in the playoffs, you'd be satisfied with the status quo and defending the coach? I find that a little hard to believe.

So if the Sabres had (arguably) the best two centers on the planet, an all-star winger and defenseman, and continually disappointed in the playoffs, you'd be satisfied with the status quo and defending the coach? I find that a little hard to believe.

Of course not. Sometimes good coaches need a change of scenery. It's common in sports. They're hired to be fired… only in Buffalo does it take almost two decades (GhostTime™).

Why shouldn't Murray hire Bylsma this afternoon?

Because he wasn't fired, you jackwagon!

Shut up!

No, you shut up!

I just heard that Botterill wasn't fired. I wonder if he is the interim.

Why is he one of the hot GM prospects anyway? If this team failed under Shero's watch, Botterill couldn't have been doing all that much either. Then again, several teams have passed on him already, so maybe he's not the future GM that some like to make him out as.

Why is he one of the hot GM prospects anyway? If this team failed under Shero's watch, Botterill couldn't have been doing all that much either. Then again, several teams have passed on him already, so maybe he's not the future GM that some like to make him out as.

I always liked Shero.

I would re-hire Shero. He's the best on the market.

was just thinking the same, maybe they can get shero in as assistant gm or something.

Doubt Murray or Shero would want that. Shero demanded that he get the final say in all hockey decisions in Pittsburgh. Doubt he takes a backseat role to a new guy like that. I think Shero will wait and see if he can get a real GM role which I won't be shocked if he does.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.