Penguins Clean House

stenbaro

Is Shero a good GM? Pitt have a pretty bare prospect cupboard and with the two best centres only one cup in 5 years. Let's not forget what he did to the US olympic team...

I don't think he is a bad GM, but he certainly hasn't squeezed every once of success from the materials he was given

Plus he kept Blysma on - terrible decision

Edited by ThirtyEight

Is Shero a good GM? Pitt have a pretty bare prospect cupboard and with the two best centres only one cup in 5 years. Let's not forget what he did to the US olympic team...

I think this goes right back to my question about Botterill. What exactly does the backup GM windup doing? Poille was the GM of that US team. Shero was just support staff. Who knows exactly how much he did there, as it has to be a very different setting than an NHL team's office.

I don't think he is a bad GM, but he certainly hasn't squeezed every once of success from the materials he was given

Plus he kept Blysma on - terrible decision

I think Shero is a good hockey guy. One thing I enjoyed about his style is how he set the market before most deadlines.

Shero was usually out front on deals.

The thing is it is really hard to win the Stanley Cup. .....luck, health, and chemistry all have to come together.

You can make good moves and still not win.

He's young enough, he won't be looking long.

I think Shero is a good hockey guy. One thing I enjoyed about his style is how he set the market before most deadlines.

Shero was usually out front on deals.

The thing is it is really hard to win the Stanley Cup. .....luck, health, and chemistry all have to come together.

You can make good moves and still not win.

He's young enough, he won't be looking long.

I would agree with this but, the Penguins hadn't made it past round 1 since they won the cup in 09 until this year. That tells me there was a systemic problem that was ignored by someone. I am not blaming Shero but dropping Staal and keeping Malkin was a mistake IMPO. I will get hammered for that Opinion and I will say I love Evgeni but that would have been the forward I traded. The Pens just lack the depth scoring and the grit to win. They draft terrible and they honestly need a new GM. Best of luck to Shero but it was time.

I would agree with this but, the Penguins hadn't made it past round 1 since they won the cup in 09 until this year. That tells me there was a systemic problem that was ignored by someone. I am not blaming Shero but dropping Staal and keeping Malkin was a mistake IMPO. I will get hammered for that Opinion and I will say I love Evgeni but that would have been the forward I traded. The Pens just lack the depth scoring and the grit to win. They draft terrible and they honestly need a new GM. Best of luck to Shero but it was time.

IIRC it wasn't the Pens choice, it was Staal's choice. He wanted to play with his brother.

They went to the ECF last season actually

They went to the ECF last season actually

Yes. But a team with that talent should be reaching the ECF every year. (And staying for more than a cup of coffee when it gets there, too.)

Sorry I forgot that, good catch. Again though they should be advancing past round1 every year and they shouldn't be going 4 and out. There is something wrong with the team.

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.