Second Round Playoff Thread

Eleven

The Bruins have always pulled this kind of crap reaching all the way back to the '60s. The Flyers are even worse. I think because these teams do it all the time, the officials let a lot of it slide. If the refs called everything they saw, the Bruins would have someone in the box all the time. You know that's not going to happen. (Oh, and I'm sure that Jeremy Jacobs being the Chairman of the NHL Board of Governors doesn't hurt, either).

Very good article about Crosby from ex NHL Ref Paul Stewart on Hockey Lies And Trash: http://www.hockeybuz...-Lead/196/60011

This is what excites me so much about a player like Zemgus. Even if we, by some miracle unknown to Buffalo sports, land Eichel or McDavid, with whomever we pick this year, and none of them end up being much of a leader, we already have that guy in Zemgus. Any two of the combinations of Reinhart/Bennett/Drasaitl and McDavid/Eichel/unknown are almost guaranteed to bring enormous skill, but if the Penguins demonstrate anything better than any team I can think of it's skill alone doesn't win in the playoffs.

You need a leader. Zemgus has, thus far, shown he can be that guy. I think he'll be much more important to an eventual Cup run than we view him as now.

Edited by WildCard

Really? I don't see Chicago pulling that kind of crap. Nor did LA the year they won. Obviously the emotions will be high, and there will be violence, but there's a difference between it being part of the game and it being a tactical choice "to set the tone".

I don't see as much "violence" happening because - for the most part - the players know what's at stake and won't relegate themselves to goonery just to exact some revenge. In theory, the more they do that, the more likely they'll get called for it.

Then again...this is the Bruins we're talking about. <_<

I absolutely hate Boston, but the only thing I saw that's over the top is Lucic taking two cheap shots to Weaver's head. The rest is nothing out of the ordinary. Chara got tripped and took some simple cheap shots, but nothing terrible. The punch he makes doesn't really bother me.

What Lucic did was suspendable but I won't riot when he's not suspended.

Go Habs!

isn't this the 9th game 7 between these two teams?

Or is that just 2-3 in Game 7's AT Boston?

Correct. This will be the 9th game seven.

Montreal is 5-3 previously. 3-1 in games sevens in Boston.

Edited by Tankalicious

Can you really count like 1951 in stats? LOL

Yes. It happened, and it was still the Stanley Cup playoffs. If you'd like to go back to just 1970 then it's 4-3 Montreal.

Edited by Tankalicious

I don't see as much "violence" happening because - for the most part - the players know what's at stake and won't relegate themselves to goonery just to exact some revenge. In theory, the more they do that, the more likely they'll get called for it.

Then again...this is the Bruins we're talking about. <_<

By "violence" I mean the general rigors of the game: hard hits, scrums at the net, real fisticuffs that are a result of the game, things of that ilk. You have to expect that stuff, and, frankly, it makes for entertainment. Boston was clearly not in the game mentally last night and the garbage at the very end was half-hearted and force...they weren't feeling that in the game. That was, IMHO, the result of the coach telling them to "send a message".

By "violence" I mean the general rigors of the game: hard hits, scrums at the net, real fisticuffs that are a result of the game, things of that ilk. You have to expect that stuff, and, frankly, it makes for entertainment. Boston was clearly not in the game mentally last night and the garbage at the very end was half-hearted and force...they weren't feeling that in the game. That was, IMHO, the result of the coach telling them to "send a message".

Exactly.

if Steve Ott as a sabre had punched Erikson in the face the way chara, iginla, and lucic did at the end of the game I bet he would be getting a league phone call. Hell look at the NBC crew on the face off after ball washing the Bruins message sending. Pierre started in on this is not good look at the Canadians and who they put out for a powerplay. So to sum up. Bruins goon tactics are acceptable and just message sending. But other teams need to just go out there and play for the lady byng

Really? I don't see Chicago pulling that kind of crap. Nor did LA the year they won. Obviously the emotions will be high, and there will be violence, but there's a difference between it being part of the game and it being a tactical choice "to set the tone".

I'm not sure you are remembering that correctly. Shane Doan was beside himself about this after some of those games with LA. I just think our hatred for Boston, and it is vast, amplifies their actions into something mythical.

If you don't like it, then don't watch playoff hockey. It has always been this way, even during the two years we were allowed to win a lot of games in the regular season. In fact, last night was tame in comparison. Go back and watch the Dallas/ NJ finals. Someone got crosschecked in the face and there were teeth on the ice at the end of a game. I didn't hear either fan base complain at the time. That just made them want their guys to smash the other guys harder the next game.

And they all still shook hands at the end of the series.

1) I need to see both teams do it and get away with it.

2) I need to see a team other than the one I hate more than anything on Earth get away it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.