OT - Donald Sterling comments

Hoss

I'm more upset with the guy for what he DID in the past and less for what he said here. He should have been looked into by the NBA or fined or punished when he settled or was brought up in numerous instances of things like trying to force Black people and Mexicans out of apartment complexes he owns. To me, that is a LOT worse than saying what he said.

Also, I have almost as much problem with the women in this case, to looks to have set this up intentionally get a payday out of it.

The NBA knows where its bread is buttered. Let's not pretend for a minute that this is morally motivated.

Yup.

It's still an accomplishment that the moral outrage in the market was enough to motivate them.

Yup, again.

Also, I have almost as much problem with the women in this case, to looks to have set this up intentionally get a payday out of it.

Seems to me that he got the GF that he deserved.

I see a court fight coming.

Ya think? I wonder if that GF of his has enough assets that he'd go after her for that recording?

It's still an accomplishment that the moral outrage in the market was enough to motivate them.

It's almost their entire market. They'd have a race war on their hands if they didn't act swiftly and severely. There's no way they could afford something like a player strike/protest.

I was thinking that if she really doesn't have anything for him to go after he can't really destroy her.

Even if she only has $5, she'd much rather have that instead of $2. And is there any legal issue with having this kind of recording? Criminal charges sure would hurt.

Even if she only has $5, she'd much rather have that instead of $2. And is there any legal issue with having this kind of recording? Criminal charges sure would hurt.

The courts won't allow him to get at her assets if they are minimal. They won't leave a defendant destitute. If she has minimal assets she'll keep them all even if she loses a court case.

I have no idea if she has exposed herself to criminal charges.

It's been a bit since I did the research, but phone recording laws vary greatly by state. Some states require mutual consent, others single party consent with notification of the recording, and others have no restrictions at all. When I get home I can check the data and see where California falls in this regard.

The NBA just ###### themselves big time.

They let the racist POS own a franchise for this long and waited far too long to do something about it.

The problem now will be this...

The owner of the Magic actively campaigns against gay lifestyles. How long before the moral outrage gets too great and he's forced out?

The owner of the Cavaliers helped caused the mortgage crisis... a real poster child for integrity.

What's next on the thought control police agenda? I can't wait. Don't threaten the all-mighty bottom line.

The bottom line is that we, as society, turn to choose a blind eye to most things until the point where it's cool to jump on the bandwagon. I listened to WGR talk about this and they were talking about people still buying tickets to the games and justifying that by saying the fans shouldn't have to suffer because of the owner's views. Well, that might be true, except that in buying a ticket to see his franchise play they are lining his pockets. In my opinion, you give your right to complain even the smallest iota if you are participating in driving revenue for that person. Clearly a person like that does not care enough and that's what big business, etc. count on. People like to complain, right up until their precious "gotta have it" entertainment is taken away and then it's all over. Yes, that's a sweeping generalization but our society has fit the bill nicely.

So, you know what? Screw the NBA and the mess they are in. I want this to go further and I want them to suffer immeasurably for being so goddamned greedy for money that they allowed this racist POS to own a franchise for so long and turn a blind eye. And screw the sponsors who jumped on the bandwagon who also knew of this ######'s motivations for just as long.

I am sick of corporate manipulation.

See also: http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1802145/banana-eating-social-media-campaign-was-planned?cc=5901

Sure it's the right motivation, but manipulating people usually undermines your efforts once they find out.

Yea.. tonight I am on a rampage.

Did anyone else get really pissed at Larry Johnson's suggestion at an all black basketball league?

http://nypost.com/20...l-black-league/

So, we're just gonna end racism with more racism huh? :huh:

That is equally offensive, but who is going to punish Larry Johnson? If you had made the same remarks as Sterling, who would punish you? Fact is, no one cares what Larry Johnson says, or what you say, or what I say, because we don't own NBA teams.

That is equally offensive, but who is going to punish Larry Johnson? If you had made the same remarks as Sterling, who would punish you? Fact is, no one cares what Larry Johnson says, or what you say, or what I say, because we don't own NBA teams.

It is and, IMO, I think it's absurd that that got completely overlooked. It's true that Sterling holds more interest because of his status, but what if someone like Larry Bird said they wanted to make an all-white basketball league?

They let the racist POS own a franchise for this long and waited far too long to do something about it.

The owner of the Magic actively campaigns against gay lifestyles. How long before the moral outrage gets too great and he's forced out?

The owner of the Cavaliers helped caused the mortgage crisis... a real poster child for integrity.

What's next on the thought control police agenda? I can't wait. Don't threaten the all-mighty bottom line.

The bottom line is that we, as society, turn to choose a blind eye to most things until the point where it's cool to jump on the bandwagon. I listened to WGR talk about this and they were talking about people still buying tickets to the games and justifying that by saying the fans shouldn't have to suffer because of the owner's views. Well, that might be true, except that in buying a ticket to see his franchise play they are lining his pockets. In my opinion, you give your right to complain even the smallest iota if you are participating in driving revenue for that person. Clearly a person like that does not care enough and that's what big business, etc. count on. People like to complain, right up until their precious "gotta have it" entertainment is taken away and then it's all over. Yes, that's a sweeping generalization but our society has fit the bill nicely.

So, you know what? Screw the NBA and the mess they are in. I want this to go further and I want them to suffer immeasurably for being so goddamned greedy for money that they allowed this racist POS to own a franchise for so long and turn a blind eye. And screw the sponsors who jumped on the bandwagon who also knew of this ######'s motivations for just as long.

See also: http://www.espnfc.co...planned?cc=5901

Sure it's the right motivation, but manipulating people usually undermines your efforts once they find out.

This, I believe, was Mark Cuban's point, and it is deserving of some consideration. I believe he will be the sole voter against Sterling's expulsion for this reason.

Now, let's look at reality.

We don't (or didn't) know the views of Pegula, Golisano, Rigas, Knox; or, on the football side, Wilson, on social issues. We also don't know anything of the views of Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Axl Rose, Peter Max, you get the point.

Why? Because they are or were smart enough to keep them to themselves. Sterling is not only guilty of being a bigot, he also is an idiot.

If I'm in an association of any sort, I don't want bigots or idiots associated with me.

The NBA has a reputation to protect. It is a business. Some businesses (Chik-fil-A) go overboard for one crowd; some (Disney) go overboard for the other. But the NBA knows its demographics, and absolutely did the right thing from a business perspective. (And, frankly, from a human perspective, too.) If it were NASCAR, or, dare I say, the NHL, it would have been drawn out. (Hell, with the NHL, it would have taken a year.)

Are most sports owners robber barons? You bet. They didn't get rich by writing a lot of checks. It's either family money, ill-gotten money, or Internet money (much of which is ill-gotten).

I heard the same GR bit you did, and I get the point. We have alternatives to unregulated capitalism; we can go the China route (I wouldn't) or we can go the Northern Europe route (which results in mass happiness and health, everyone does ok, but dammit, they're Euros!). This is what we have. I guess we could eliminate pro sports to penalize the wealthiest, but we'd actually be less happy without the bread and circus. So enjoy it, and when there is a chance to cast out a jerk like Sterling, enjoy that, too.

Edited by Eleven

See also: http://www.espnfc.co...planned?cc=5901

Do the other owners have the right to not do business with Sterling?

The threshold for kicking this guy out was pretty high, but he managed cross it.

I guess I'm not one to believe that what 30 owners with lawyers decide are really indicative of any trends in America.

Sterling will be forced to sell to the tune of half a billion dollars. He'll get by.

It is and, IMO, I think it's absurd that that got completely overlooked. It's true that Sterling holds more interest because of his status, but what if someone like Larry Bird said they wanted to make an all-white basketball league?

This has been the "burden" of the white man since our ancestors decided to enslave a continent of people for half a millennium. There is a double standard.

This has been the "burden" of the white man since our ancestors decided to enslave a continent of people for half a millennium. There is a double standard.

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not, but I'm not condoning what our ancestors did, and I get why there exists a double standard, I just think racism is racism no matter how you slice it.

Edited by WildCard

See also: http://www.espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1802145/banana-eating-social-media-campaign-was-planned?cc=5901

HEAR HEAR!!!!

AND.....I raise you $88 million!!!

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/20510-penn-state-debacle/

I've got a crisp $20 bill that says the free throw % would be higher.......

I would bet that the girlfriend tried to extort money from Sterling first, saying that she would make the tape public if he didn't pay her and the old man thinking he did nothing wrong, told her to go ahead.

I am really sick of hearing about this already, with hockey playoffs and basketball playoffs going on and the NFL draft just over a week away, all I keep hearing on sports is this drama about an 80 year old man saying something considered to be racist. Is what he said racist and is he a racist ? Sure seems like it, but I really don't care enough to make it a major issue all week long, get done with it already. There are serious racism issues (against all races) happening every day, but they don't have the making of a weekly reality show to garner as much attention as this has, so we don't hear about them.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.