OT - Donald Sterling comments

Hoss

Why you gotta be a sexist?

Nope....I hear Diva....I thing either Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin.....or overpaid, egomaniac, black wide receivers.....

See how that works? It's true though.

Diva was a poor fit there.

And +1 Glass.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Random sidenote in this: The Heat's response was so lame. They decided to do the same thing that the Clippers did and turn their shooting shirts inside out... Which made ZERO sense. The Clippers did it to hide the Clippers logo as a protest against the Clippers. The Heat did it to hide the Heat logo to protest against the... Clippers?

I was hoping other NBA teams would have a response, but just doing what they did is both dumb and misguided.

(I also disagreed with all of the hoodie pictures that were popping up during the Trayvon Martin case well before any facts surfaced or the case even started. People protested just because they could instead of actually letting the facts make a statement first).

That's just so wrong. A (white) racist doesn't limit his attention to or commentary on the conduct of black guys to situations where the black guys are acting against or talking about white people. That's nonsense.

A (white) racist in this case would almost certainly become activated by Sherman's antics because they were, in the mind of someone who's painting with the broad brush of racial stereotypes, the antics that are exemplary of the behaviors in which guys who look like that engage.

What a weird predicate.

?????

Sherman....black, tattoo wearing, dreadlock wearing, selfish, demeaning....THUG

Stephon Gilmore....black, tattoo wearing, dreadlock wearing, humble, supportive....QUALITY HUMAN BEING

I don't know what malfunction is in some people's heads....but I will tell you this.....I'd gladly get a fishfry on Bailey Ave before I would go into a Spot Coffee.

?????

Stephon Gilmore....black, tattoo wearing, dreadlock wearing, humble, supportive....QUALITY HUMAN BEING

I don't know what malfunction is in some people's heads....but I will tell you this.....I'd gladly get a fishfry on Bailey Ave before I would go into a Spot Coffee.

Nope, not buying it.

http://youtu.be/cOxOR3x8FBQ

I'm not saying you're where Pino's at (:30-1:05 mark). But what you're saying is in the same vein.

Oh, and I'm not sure, but did you just drop a variation of the "some of my best friends are black"?

Edited by That Aud Smell

?????

I think you're making some large and incorrect assumptions about the racial make up of the Spot Coffee customer base. At least with respect to the two near me. Just because it's a coffee shop doesn't mean it's a bunch of whiteys sitting around. It's a very diverse crowd.

I think you're making some large and incorrect assumptions about the racial make up of the Spot Coffee customer base. At least with respect to the two near me. Just because it's a coffee shop doesn't mean it's a bunch of whiteys sitting around. It's a very diverse crowd.

Considering I haven't gone in there...forgive me.

Put it this way...most black people I know are down to earth, have common sense, honest and are god fearing.

Most people trying to create conflict out of thin air in the guise of protecting someone by calling someone else out, do not and are not.

It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you’re associating with coffee drinkers. Do you have to? You can sleep with [coffee drinkers]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my Bailey Ave fish fry place. I’m just saying, in your lousy f******* Instagrams, you don’t have to have yourself with, walking with coffee drinkers...Don't put him on an Instagram for the world to have to see so they have to call me. And don't bring him to my Bailey Ave fish fry place.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

He posited a racial difference between a fish fry establishment in one part of town vs a coffee shop chain and then leveraged that as evidence of being reverse racist.

I am a reverse racist. I will admit it.

When the nukes come in...I'd much rather them hit Elmwood and Spaulding Lake than the Fruit Belt.

I do not look highly upon sheltered, entitled fellas who want to feel part of some faulty popularity contest by demonizing good and rational people.

Put it this way...most black people I know are down to earth, have common sense, honest and are god fearing.

Most people trying to create conflict out of thin air in the guise of protecting someone by calling someone else out, do not and are not.

I am a reverse racist. I will admit it.

When the nukes come in...I'd much rather them hit Elmwood and Spaulding Lake than the Fruit Belt.

I do not look highly upon sheltered, entitled fellas who want to feel part of some faulty popularity contest by demonizing good and rational people.

I think you've got the wrong idea about Elmwood, too!

Most people I know have common sense, are God fearing, etc. regardless of skin color. I get your point.

Fixed that. :) It's like everything else, if there's a group of racially/gender/economic people some other people will assume that all the people in that group are alike. What I've figured out (in my short time on earth) is that for the most part people are people, and most of them are similar enough that we're arguing about fine points. Let's bring this around to hockey: most of the people I talk to around about the Flyers are reasonable, well-informed, and not the meatheads we like to make them out to be. They're much like the folks around here, they just like that ugly orange color instead.

Fixed that. :) It's like everything else, if there's a group of racially/gender/economic people some other people will assume that all the people in that group are alike. What I've figured out (in my short time on earth) is that for the most part people are people, and most of them are similar enough that we're arguing about fine points. Let's bring this around to hockey: most of the people I talk to around about the Flyers are reasonable, well-informed, and not the meatheads we like to make them out to be. They're much like the folks around here, they just like that ugly orange color instead.

The difference is....many of those people I know who are "offended" and want "to support" certain issues where the average person can discuss things rationally....are usually well-educated, high salaried people. I have no idea if people really believe what they say, and if they do...what malfunction in their heads causes them to not process reality. Is it guilt?

that was so great.

whodat?

Most people I know have common sense, are God fearing, etc. regardless of skin color.

And for those people who are not thusly constituted, we should all work not to categorize or characterize their failures in a way that makes it seem like it's a failure attributable to or associated with their skin color.

The most ironic thing about this whole story is that Sterling would rather risk getting AIDS than have his girlfriend be in a picture with a black person. I can't believe that isn't getting more press.

Bonkers.

The difference is....many of those people I know who are "offended" and want "to support" certain issues where the average person can discuss things rationally....are usually well-educated, high salaried people. I have no idea if people really believe what they say, and if they do...what malfunction in their heads causes them to not process reality. Is it guilt?

I'm trying to figure out what you're asking. Speaking as someone who's reasonably well educated (and paid), I wouldn't say I'm "offended" or trying to "support" anything, but I'll express my disagreement given the forum. I know that I have a tough time processing the reality that Stirling believes what he was saying (I'm not saying he doesn't, I just can't get my mind around how someone could think that way).

I'm trying to figure out what you're asking. Speaking as someone who's reasonably well educated (and paid), I wouldn't say I'm "offended" or trying to "support" anything, but I'll express my disagreement given the forum. I know that I have a tough time processing the reality that Stirling believes what he was saying (I'm not saying he doesn't, I just can't get my mind around how someone could think that way).

I agree...hearing that Sterling tape was crazy. If it was some redneck or Nazi saying it, you would just brush it off as some ignorant a-hole. It is goofy on so many levels.

And I am not saying every educated/academia white person is like that....but those who find "offense" and try to tell people they are racist or how to think....those usually fit the profile. When the Sherman thing happened, the old 80's-90's Bills were at the least saying "WTF?", and some called him out as a punk. I was just glad that when I was younger and enjoyed those teams...you had classy guys like Talley and Hull, etc. who could give you honest takes but were A+ all the way.

Sterling deserves any flack he gets....but it is a slippery slope to install rash punishment for something that was done illegally on multiple levels...recording and then extorting with multiple motives. You could bring down everyone on earth if that was standard practice. The difference is, most people would be joking about something or venting....not being irrational and ignorant and ironic to such a level.

No...a racist wouldn't care because Sherman was talking down to and insulting Crabtree....another black man. By calling out Sherman, people are saying his actions are unbecoming of an intelligent human being who is supposed to be a professional and show respect for his opponent, the game itself, and the situation. He was selfish, angry, demeaning, and was using verbal intimidation. Hence.....thug. By calling out Sherman, you are therefore protecting and empathizing for Crabtree. A racist wouldn't give 2 iodas.

That's the problem. There are actual people out there who look down on a certain race, class, gender....whatever. With all the "outrage" these days....the majority of people that have common sense and would like to discuss or call out certain actions now get lumped in with a-holes. This leads good hearted people to adopt Swamp's view of ..."I just hate everybody"....because there is so much PC bullcrap these days....it's easier just to shut up and stay to yourself.

The world used to be fun. People could tell the difference, or allowed a difference between jokes/stereotypes, and actual demeaning activity. Sherman was a thug...he was involved in demeaning activity.

Heck...have you heard Snoop-Dog's response to this Clippers story? He throws out terms like Cracker and White Devil. You know what....I don't care because it's funny and the guy deserves any flack he gets.

You can attack Sherman without defending Crabtree. If Sherman had insulted Crabtree in another, perhaps less absurd manner, nobody would be defending Crabtree besides 49's fans. White racists, in this instance, don't limit their racism solely to instances where it's black on white, it's just black is bad (their thinking, not mine).

They look at gang-members like the Crips and Bloods, predominately involved in black-on-black murders/crimes, and apply the word "thug" because it allows them to justify their stereotypes. They're not sticking up for any of the black community that's harmed/murdered by one gang or the other when they insults gang-members, they're just using the worst portrayal of a race to justify their stereotypes.

What the heck is google reverse image!?

Right click on an image, "search Google for this image" and it comes up in google with the thing typed in for that image. :thumbsup:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.