If you were the Islanders

bob_sauve28

I would keep this year's pick. I think they will be much better next year with Tavares back. And if Snow survives this year he knows next year will be his last chance.

Agreed. You cannot as an organization give up the pick this year and say "well we're going to be awful next year so that pick is going to be even better just wait!"

We'll be getting next year's pick. I have no doubt.

Agreed. You cannot as an organization give up the pick this year and say "well we're going to be awful next year so that pick is going to be even better just wait!"

We'll be getting next year's pick. I have no doubt.

Hopefully we pick 1 and 2 next year. :w00t:

Hockey fans are knowledgable people. I'm sure many diehard isles fans (isn't that all they have left) realize the situation. Many have heard about next years draft and I'm sure their talk radio shows have discussed this situation. I doubt many would think that by giving up the pick this year is management saying they will be much worse next year. With the state of the isles as a middling team most must know tht if they miss the playoffs you have a shot to win the lottery. Plus with the rumours of possibly changing the system next year I would not want to give up my lottery ball for a generational talent, especially if their pick ends up being 6th.

If I were Snow, I would defer and draft Dal Colle at #5. He is the perfect LW for your team and with Strome, Reinhart, and Pokka all most likely being on team next year, the NYI will finish 8-14. They should have better GT next year as well and I just don't see them drafting as low next year.

But I would not complain about picking 1 and 3 this year though!

... 1 and 5?

If I were Snow, I would defer and draft Dal Colle at #5. He is the perfect LW for your team and with Strome, Reinhart, and Pokka all most likely being on team next year, the NYI will finish 8-14. They should have better GT next year as well and I just don't see them drafting as low next year.

... 1 and 5?

What 10 teams do you think the Islanders should finish ahead of next year?

Sabres/Islanders, probability

1st/5th, 25.38%

2nd/1st, 8.22%

2nd/5th, 44.37%

2nd/6th, 22.03%

I would bet that the Islanders would give us the 6th pick, but would not give us the 1st pick. Not sure what happens if they pick 5th. Top 5 are supposed to be a step above.

Edited by carpandean

Buffalo, Calgary, Edmonton, Florida, Vancouver, Carolina, Washington, New Jersey, Detroit and Toronto.

Buffalo - Yes

Calgary - Probably

Edmonton - I think they dig themselves out this off season. They have to.

Florida - Probably

Vancouver - Maybe, it depends what they do this offseason. Their goalies could also carry them

Carolina - No. They played a large chunk of this season without Ward and with a bad E Staal.

Washington - No. They aren't good but they are always a bubble team at the least.

NJ - Maybe. They also made the playoffs this season but Jagr probably won't be back

Detroit - No way. They made the playoffs without their top three centres (basically). Injury bitten to the nth degree

Toronto - No. They are a bubble team

Islanders were awful with Moulson/Vanek and Tavares and got worse when both dropped out. Okoposo had a fantastic season. There are 3/4 goalies on FA, who would pick to go to the Islanders over say Anaheim or the Blues or even Washington

Not to mention that there was this provision in this trade for a reason...why add the option to the trade if you don't intend to use it

They negotiated for this clause just in case they won the lottery. They thought they were a playoff team, but figured that if they just missed out and then their 2% lottery ticket (random percentage I made up) hit the jackpot, they wouldn't have to give away the #1 overall pick. It didn't play out that way, but instead what they've backed themselves into is much bigger head scratching situation. There is a good argument to be had for either decision.

1st the Isles keep the pick

5th the Isles keep the pick

6th the pick goes to the Sabres

The top 5 seems concensus, who would we go after with the 6th overall? I was really hoping the Sabres could have pulled off the win last night to not have a chance of falling into this predicament.

1st the Isles keep the pick

5th the Isles keep the pick

6th the pick goes to the Sabres

The top 5 seems concensus, who would we go after with the 6th overall? I was really hoping the Sabres could have pulled off the win last night to not have a chance of falling into this predicament.

Jake Virtanen

or Nylander

I don't see how any GM could give up a top-5 pick under these circumstances. Doing so would be telling the fans that you expect to be just as bad or worse the following year.

Plus the probability of any team, regardless of record, landing McDavid is at best 25% (assuming no team has multiple lottery picks). I think the Isles use the pick this year on Dal Colle or one of the top European prospects.

Buffalo, Calgary, Edmonton, Florida, Vancouver, Carolina, Washington, New Jersey, Detroit and Toronto.

Florida will be much better. They'll improve this offseason. Vancouver is TBD as they could easily be a playoff team again. Washington and NJ fall in that same boat. Better than Detroit? Laughable.

I don't see how any GM could give up a top-5 pick under these circumstances. Doing so would be telling the fans that you expect to be just as bad or worse the following year.

What fans? I realize they're not exactly moving across the country, but there are going to be a completely different group of fans in their buildings in 2014-15 and 2015-16.

Who thought Colorado would go from the bottom to winning their division? It can happen.

Sure. But the Isles only have Tavares, and they don't have a goalie capable of making a Vezina-type run.

Colorado had Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Stastny and added MacKinnon while Varlamov broke out.

Sure. But the Isles only have Tavares, and they don't have a goalie capable of making a Vezina-type run.

Colorado had Duchene, Landeskog, O'Reilly, Stastny and added MacKinnon while Varlamov broke out.

The Isles have Strome, Reinhart, Okposo, and probably Ville Pokka next year as well. They won't be Colorado but again I still think 8-14 for them.