GDT: Detroit at Buffalo 4-8-14 at 7:00 PM EDT

26CornerBlitz

On occasion. He'd play one game really hard then the next he'd be invisible. But we let it slide because he was a kid.

I like Marcus for the hometown connection but I've not been all that impressed with him.

Zemgus took Marcus' lunch money and doubled down at Ted's Black Jack table. He's blown past Foligno on the depth chart for power forwards.

Hodgson is going to have a nice career on the wing.

I might be coming around on this. I never for a moment thought Hodgson had a skill set suited to playing wing, but at least for the moment, he appears to have a good thing going on Girgensons' wing.

Nolan calling out 82 & 80 big time in the post game presser

In their defense, this was their first game back from injuries many of us had assumed would end their season. That's all I got, though.

Callahan was my original ceiling for Gus but that move he pulled tonight I didn't think he had in him. I don't think he'll be the next cam Neely but maybe he can approach Rod the bods game.

Yeah expect such a move from grigorenko more , Someone i'll be excited about watching next year in rochester or buffalo.

You know what is great about Zemgus, the kid stays loyal to the organisation that drafts him, wich was pointed out looking at his draft video.

Granted I'm working on four hours of sleep, but I listened to Nolan's post game this morning... Zemgus is going to be captain next year. The way Nolan raved about him and particularly "the team can learn from watching him," I think it's a safe bet.

I hope not, I'd like him to stick around a few more years :w00t:

Granted I'm working on four hours of sleep, but I listened to Nolan's post game this morning... Zemgus is going to be captain next year. The way Nolan raved about him and particularly "the team can learn from watching him," I think it's a safe bet.

I was on the fence. But last night, I decided to get down. Zemgus is developing to the type of forward an organization can build on, maybe his new ceiling is "Latvian Messier". Between that and Myers' "re-growth" I think we have a solid beginning to a new identity from this team.

I'm with Teddy.

Stewart was lazy on the back check on the first Detroit goal and picked the wrong check on the second. I see why Hitch soured on him.

And Foligno looks like he's following him. He's forgotten how to use that big body.

And the Latvian?

He gives me hope.

Maybe we should draft some more hard working latvians

I might be coming around on this. I never for a moment thought Hodgson had a skill set suited to playing wing, but at least for the moment, he appears to have a good thing going on Girgensons' wing.

In their defense, this was their first game back from injuries many of us had assumed would end their season. That's all I got, though.

Girgensons is one of those players that simply makes others around him better.

Callahan was my original ceiling for Gus but that move he pulled tonight I didn't think he had in him. I don't think he'll be the next cam Neely but maybe he can approach Rod the bods game.

I've been holding out for Kesler's game with better leadership qualities, but Brind'Amour is good call. Fingers crossed.

Girgensons makes the players around him better. Hodgson's battle is noticeably better since they've been paired up.

I hope we acquire someone who ensures we can give him a few more years before he has to do that..

Callahan, please.

Edited by dudacek

I always felt the same way about Osgood too.

I will say this- prior to getting Mike Vernon, the Red Wings had several "talented" goalies that just couldn't hack it. Vernon brought the Zen of Goaltending to Detroit and passed it down to Osgood (who was marginal at best prior to Vernon coming to town), who passed it down to Howard.(and yes, there was the Hasek Interlude).

I will say this- prior to getting Mike Vernon, the Red Wings had several "talented" goalies that just couldn't hack it. Vernon brought the Zen of Goaltending to Detroit and passed it down to Osgood (who was marginal at best prior to Vernon coming to town), who passed it down to Howard.(and yes, there was the Hasek Interlude).

Detroit can usually get by with decent/good but not great goaltending because their defence has had some elite players.

Detroit can usually get by with decent/good but not great goaltending because their defence has had some elite players.

Agree, but they were getting better by the early 90s and still chewed through goalies like nobody's business. It wasn't until Vernon got there that things stabilized. Osgood didn't get better per se, but his mental game- how to bounce back from the tough loss, how to shake off a bad goal- improved with Vernon around, and I think he passed that mental attitude to Howard.

I was on the fence. But last night, I decided to get down. Zemgus is developing to the type of forward an organization can build on, maybe his new ceiling is "Latvian Messier". Between that and Myers' "re-growth" I think we have a solid beginning to a new identity from this team.

Maybe we need to pair Gus up with the "German Gretzky" (aka the "Deutschland Dangler").

I was going to put this in the draft thread, but figured I would put it here...sorry if its already been posted.

But, my take on the "tank" is clear, and I have been pushing for that for nearly 3 years now. However, I also like to look at the other side of the coin. People tend to point to Edmonton and say, "Oh it won't work, look at the Oilers."

Why doesn't anyone ever point to Detroit and say, "look at how they do things?"

This is not the original article I saw a few days ago, but it gets the point across I am trying to relay...

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/04/07/gustav-nyquist-just-the-latest-example-of-the-detroit-red-wings-highly-successful-scouting-development-nhl-machine/

"The prevailing opinion is the Red Wings mine the NHL draft better than anybody else, considering where they pick every June — no first selection higher than 19th overall (Jakub Kindl in 2005) in the last 15 years."

They are always in the playoffs, and continue to build their roster with players like Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar, Ericsson, etc. (late round draftees)

But the Wings of today, suffering through their worst injury-plagued season in many years, have been able to change on the fly courtesy players they drafted: Nyquist, Tomas Tatar, Tomas Jurco, Riley Sheahan.

“(Red Wings GM) Ken Holland’s draft philosophy is to get two players out of every draft (to the NHL), doesn’t matter if it’s first round or fifth or sixth,” former Calgary Flames GM Craig Button said.

“They draft players who can skate, with skill but then they become part of a group … They throw them all in the mix. Some are going to make it, some aren’t.”

“The thing about the Wings,” said a scout from another organization, “is their (drafted) players all buy in to what it’s going to take to get to the NHL.”

Just something to think about...obviously this is not the way the Sabres are going, but it is very interesting to think about and look at in-depth.

(I'll try to find the original article from last week that made me think about posting.)

Here is another one showing Fedorov, Holmstrom, Datysuk, Zetterberg, Ericsson, Helm and Nyquist...ALL drafted 4th round or later.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2018747-how-the-detroit-red-wings-created-another-future-star-in-gustav-nyquist

Edited by Bob Malooga

I've been holding out for Kesler's game with better leadership qualities, but Brind'Amour is good call. Fingers crossed.

Girgensons makes the players around him better. Hodgson's battle is noticeably better since they've been paired up.

I hope we acquire someone who ensures we can give him a few more years before he has to do that..

Callahan, please.

Good point about hodgson. He has 7 points now in his last 6 games, and last night he set his career high in points...on one of the worst offensive teams in nhl history. He does have skill and still has value, even if it's as a winger instead of center

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.