GDT: Buffalo at Philadelphia 4-6-14 at 7:30 PM EDT

26CornerBlitz

D'Agostini and Ehrhoff stood out in the TB game I went to. I like Matt's effort. But he flat out isn't even considered for a pp unit on 25 teams in this league.

Ehrhoff good or bad?

I understand...D'Agostini is "almost" Dixon Ward. But on this team right now, the only guys I see night in and out that give a total damn are #27, #44 and #6. #28, #63 are solid effort within their game...I can't knock #37 or #4, just aren't good. I'd have Risto in AHL again next year, McCabe looks scared so far, Ruhweedel isn't NHL material.

This is a bigger run for the bus than I figured you would see with Nolan.

Ehrhoff good or bad?

I understand...D'Agostini is "almost" Dixon Ward. But on this team right now, the only guys I see night in and out that give a total damn are #27, #44 and #6. #28, #63 are solid effort within their game...I can't knock #37 or #4, just aren't good. I'd have Risto in AHL again next year, McCabe looks scared so far, Ruhweedel isn't NHL material.

This is a bigger run for the bus than I figured you would see with Nolan.

<_<

A question that should not need to be asked.

once again, I totally agree

I agree, they looked like they just don't care.

I agree. Ted's got his contract...make a statement. I will give him 10% benefit of the doubt that he is just slow-playing this to see who the real men are on the team to say enough-is-enough.

I didn't think I would care much about the rest of this season, but this game really angers me. Drane might be right, only other reason I can think nothing happened is that Nolan is worried about more injuries. Nolan didn't seem too enthusiastic during the post-game in regards to retaliation. If there's one good thing about Rolston it's that he wouldn't have taken this.

I didn't think I would care much about the rest of this season, but this game really angers me. Drane might be right, only other reason I can think nothing happened is that Nolan is worried about more injuries. Nolan didn't seem too enthusiastic during the post-game in regards to retaliation. If there's one good thing about Rolston it's that he wouldn't have taken this.

It could also be a conscious decision of Nolan to try and distance himself from what he once was. Much like the rest of this team, this is his last chance to prove that he really belongs. Slapshot type play is probably not something that Nolan wants to regress to, warranted or not. Look at John Scott as an example.....I think Nolan has taken great pains to try and make every player on the roster make an attempt to try and be a hockey player.

Am I the only one that saw it?

Nope, you're spot-on. I just think most of us are more mentally checked out than the players :)

Weber saw the whole thing with Lieuwen, he was in the crease when it happened.

But he's mean, and tough, and does things others won't! Or whatever. Literally the only thing he does is bring an "edge" and if he's not going to do that, he's completely worthless.

Hamilton was on WGR's Pregame show saying he thinks only Sacco is a possibility to return next year one of Nolan's assistants.

If we're trying to win, then no no no no no thank you.

He should wear a letter. The only reason I even posted is because the last few games I have decided I want D'Agostini on this team next year....one of the only players I can even come close to saying that about....and I want Ehrhoff gone if possible. I'd rather buy out Ehrhoff and sign a couple Ference types at 2 for 5 than watch him fold the tent.

Today was a game that Girgensons should have done something about. I don't think he's ready to wear a letter. I love his general effort and sacrifice, but he doesn't seem willing to be a team delegate out there yet. I agree we needed the old Ted Nolan today.

Totally agree on D'agostini. Perfect vet to to have around.

I clearly know who this is directed toward. Fine, so be it.

Hey, you hate on my man Ehrhoff all the time! And in all honesty, you're just one of several Weber boosters it was directed at :)

If we're trying to win, then no no no no no thank you.

Is it possible Sacco is a case of a terrible head coach, but good assistant? I'm not to argue for that, but I don't think I'm ready to dismiss it either.

Hey, you hate on my man Ehrhoff all the time! And in all honesty, you're just one of several Weber boosters it was directed at :)

Is it possible Sacco is a case of a terrible head coach, but good assistant? I'm not to argue for that, but I don't think I'm ready to dismiss it either.

That is my major gripe about the internet, and I am surprised that you are the one perpetuating it here. (It's far more expected from Flounder than a poster of your quality.) Everything ends up in a binary world here. There are Weber boosters and Weber haters; there are Ehrhoff boosters and haters; there are Myers boosters and haters; there are ...

Weber is not the worst D-man in the league. Myers was brutal at times last year, especially in the early going. Though his stats were bad early this year, he wasn't nearly as bad as he was getting credit for being. Nuance is ####ing lost to this medium.

Ehrhoff was their best D prior to being the last skilled vet standing, but if he doesn't come back to that level soon, he could be joining Ville in the 'looking for a new team' line. I really hope he wakes up, because I saw him as the veteran presence showing the kids how it's done going forward. But right now, he flat out is playing like he can't think of anywhere he'd like to be less. Myers isn't ready, IMHO, to be the guy the other D look to for guidance. Tallinder is a shell of his former self ad can't fill that role either. Too many forwards that need to be upgraded to need to upgrade Ehrhoff as well.

That is my major gripe about the internet, and I am surprised that you are the one perpetuating it here. (It's far more expected from Flounder than a poster of your quality.) Everything ends up in a binary world here. There are Weber boosters and Weber haters; there are Ehrhoff boosters and haters; there are Myers boosters and haters; there are ...

Weber is not the worst D-man in the league. Myers was brutal at times last year, especially in the early going. Though his stats were bad early this year, he wasn't nearly as bad as he was getting credit for being. Nuance is ####ing lost to this medium.

Ehrhoff was their best D prior to being the last skilled vet standing, but if he doesn't come back to that level soon, he could be joining Ville in the 'looking for a new team' line. I really hope he wakes up, because I saw him as the veteran presence showing the kids how it's done going forward. But right now, he flat out is playing like he can't think of anywhere he'd like to be less. Myers isn't ready, IMHO, to be the guy the other D look to for guidance. Tallinder is a shell of his former self ad can't fill that role either. Too many forwards that need to be upgraded to need to upgrade Ehrhoff as well.

If you wanted to rant about black/white arguments on the internet, you can probably find a much better impetus for it than my post about Weber (I direct your attention to the Stafford thread). But whatever, I'll own this one since I was harsher/snarkier than I should have been.

Perhaps I stated my case too strongly because of Weber's (lack of) actions tonight...I was actually upset with a Sabres game for the first time in a long time! To be clear, I'm fine with Weber as my 6/7th Dman if he's bringing the stuff that many like him for, but when things like tonight happen it really makes me wonder "what's the point?" I'd probably rather have a 6/7 who can at least play some respectable minutes on the second PP unit and move the puck a little than Weber if he isn't bringing the attitude.

It's not only possible, it's pretty darn likely. But I can't let go how bad the Avs were last year and how good they are now.

Would it make you feel any better if I told you the underlying numbers suggest the Avs aren't as good as their record this year? No? Okay, I'll go back to my spreadsheet now :ph34r:

Didn't watch the game, don't really care that I missed it but this is not the desired outcome. I'm not talking about wins and losses. I'm talking about playing like a team. Clearly, from all accounts they did not do that tonight. I saw this creeping into the team a while back but nothing came to fruition until tonight. Just like Gaustad and the merry band of sissies lost me at Lucic/Miller. Weber is this newly shaped group of pillow biters, can go ###### themselves. Have some dignity man.

I agree. The Filthy Flyers were taking liberties at every turn. I've not seen defencemen get away with heavy slashes like that team did tonight in a long long time. Add to that the elbow from Rinaldo and the goalie getting run. Drop the mitts boys. I'm hoping along with some gritty character guys we also get some backbone in the rebuild.

FWIW, Murray, in the media, has been talking about dumping a lot of guys from this roster. It's a top down thing; the GM is telling you the current roster isn't worth keeping around - imagine if your boss was saying his staff is going to be turned around, how would the staff be collectively?

Ideally, we'd like to think every person will respond with their best effort to try and keep their job, but realistically many people will not respond well to the pressure of a dark cloud hanging over them.

Weber saw the whole thing with Lieuwen, he was in the crease when it happened.

We were overmanned by Philly. Weber is useless when he not use the only thing he has, some grit.

Why do we have Scott on the roster if we do not send him out for revenge? He is useless too and I give deluca full credit for his opinion on him.

Not only are we without talent but also without grit.

RIP Buffalo Sabres, my tiny hopes for a fast rebuild were destroyed by this gutless effort.

POSTGAME LINKS

04/06 – NHL POST-GAME NEWSLETTER: Buffalo Sabres @ Philadelphia Flyers (NHL.com)

04/07 – GAME RECAP: Schenn's two goals help Flyers beat Sabres (Adam Kimelman – NHL.com)

04/06 – Brian Duff recaps the Sabres 5-2 loss to the Flyers. <3:29>

04/06 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following the Sabres 5-2 loss to the Flyers. <2:34>

04/06 – Jake McCabe speaks with the media following the Sabres 5-2 loss to the Flyers. <1:45>

04/06 – Cody Hodgson speaks with the media following the Sabres 5-2 loss to the Flyers. <0:54>

04/06 – Mike Weber speaks with the media following the 5-2 loss to the Flyers. <3:05>

04/07 – Sabres’ Chad Ruhwedel out with concussion after elbow to head (Bill Hoppe – Olean Times Herald)

Update: Courtesy of the Flyers, here are some quotes from Rinaldo:

On what happened on the hit:

“Just had a lot of speed going at him. I put my shoulder down. As I hit him he shot the puck and my shoulder hit his head, clearly.”

He said “the proof is in the pudding right there” about the elbow.

“I shouldn’t have done it. There was no need for it. We were up 4-0. There was no need for that hit but it is what it is. It’s a part of the game.”

On his whole night, which also included a goal:

“Yeah that always happens to me. I get on a good streak then something bad always happens. I deal with it and try not to think about it too much.”

On what he expects to happen suspension-wise:

“I haven’t talked to (NHL disciplinarian Brendan) Shanahan or anyone like that for maybe a year and a half now. I don’t know what to expect. It could go either way.”

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.