Advice on skating and playing hockey

PASabreFan

Holy crap. I just gotta say, last night the top line pulled me on as a winger. I played the best I ever have. I'm in a beginner league, and normally, I get pushed down onto a line with at least one person who is very slow/new. I don't mind, it's what we're here for, I still have fun. I've never scored a goal (but have a good 11 assists to my name) so I don't consider myself a huge asset on the ice. But man.... Skating with two other people who know what they're doing/moving fast? I had a ball. I kept up. I contributed.

I like to be a pest- I go after anyone on the other team with the puck and just generally screw up their plans/passing. My advantage is being a girl- no one expects it. I don't hold onto the puck long because I'm not a great stickhandler- I get super nervous and usually quickly give it to someone else.

But man, the difference of playing on a better line against another good line ( a lot of intermediate/advanced beer leaguers walked on last night)- night and day. If I got to play in that situation every week, I'd be so much better in no time.

Still learning, but last night was the first time I've had that much fun/felt that useful.

Holy crap. I just gotta say, last night the top line pulled me on as a winger. I played the best I ever have. I'm in a beginner league, and normally, I get pushed down onto a line with at least one person who is very slow/new. I don't mind, it's what we're here for, I still have fun. I've never scored a goal (but have a good 11 assists to my name) so I don't consider myself a huge asset on the ice. But man.... Skating with two other people who know what they're doing/moving fast? I had a ball. I kept up. I contributed.

I like to be a pest- I go after anyone on the other team with the puck and just generally screw up their plans/passing. My advantage is being a girl- no one expects it. I don't hold onto the puck long because I'm not a great stickhandler- I get super nervous and usually quickly give it to someone else.

But man, the difference of playing on a better line against another good line ( a lot of intermediate/advanced beer leaguers walked on last night)- night and day. If I got to play in that situation every week, I'd be so much better in no time.

Still learning, but last night was the first time I've had that much fun/felt that useful.

Nice. Next week my team plays a full team of girls (RIT Club). So I guess we'll have to expect them to play hockey. (Actually they'll be a good challenge, they have some good players from what I've seen). Apparently in order for them to form at RIT they have to prove they can form and keep a team in another league somewhere. That's what one of the coaches of the RIT Club Men's team told me anyway.

We play against women all the time. I don't ever pay attention to whether it's a woman or a man during the play. No time for that. They are an opponent and that's all I care about.

Nice. Next week my team plays a full team of girls (RIT Club). So I guess we'll have to expect them to play hockey. (Actually they'll be a good challenge, they have some good players from what I've seen). Apparently in order for them to form at RIT they have to prove they can form and keep a team in another league somewhere. That's what one of the coaches of the RIT Club Men's team told me anyway.

We play against women all the time. I don't ever pay attention to whether it's a woman or a man during the play. No time for that. They are an opponent and that's all I care about.

I had no idea RIT started a women's club team. Apparently they have. Interesting.

I had no idea RIT started a women's club team. Apparently they have. Interesting.

Aw man, I would've loved to have been on that.

Yeah, women are often small and fast. If you take away checking, it's like any other opponent. I have to admit, I don't like playing against other girls (my age).... They seem to take a personal vendetta against me and will play all kinds of dirty/crosschecking etc.

Good for you. I'm pretty sure we've covered it in this thread or others before, but that's the kind of attitude I really appreciate. I only stay aware of what I represent because at times, it does come into play, good and bad.

Aw man, I would've loved to have been on that.

Yeah, women are often small and fast. If you take away checking, it's like any other opponent. I have to admit, I don't like playing against other girls (my age).... They seem to take a personal vendetta against me and will play all kinds of dirty/crosschecking etc.

Good for you. I'm pretty sure we've covered it in this thread or others before, but that's the kind of attitude I really appreciate. I only stay aware of what I represent because at times, it does come into play, good and bad.

Now, that said. I have been attacked by a woman's male teammates when I accidentally knocked the woman over while turning up ice. So, you know.. I didn't care who it was but they did! :)

Get a hockey ball and practice wide back and forth across your body. Stand with you feet apart and just go from left to right and back. Extend as far as you can from side to side and go faster as you get better. Really helps you pick up lose pucks as you are on the move.

Also, get two objects and place them apart on the floor, and use hockey ball to go both ways doing eights around both objects. This really helps you learn how to place your hands and the blade for better control in all sorts of situations. Do it both with the stick on the ball all the time and then learn to do it by tapping ball in the direction you want. Hope that makes sense.

Edit: I like the hockey ball for practice, someone might pop on and say NEVER use it. Up to you, but it's worked for me.

Never use a hockey ball!...Just kidding. They do make stickhandling specific balls that mimic the movement and weight of a puck more so than your average street hockey ball. They're not too expensive and while there's no perfect substitute for practicing while your on skates, it definitely helps. I used to have a TV in the garage and I would watch the game while stickhandling. Helps keep your eyes up and teaches "feel."

Additionally, start paying attention to where players put the puck when carrying it. Basic stuff. Out in front, to the side, where they put it in relation to the closest defender. It'll give you an idea of where to carry the puck in certain situations and make you a better defender.

Edit: When using a ball to stickhandle..get a cheap (or old stick) and cut it down to match (in shoes) where your ice stick comes up on you while on skates. If you just use your ice stick for dry land practice, the length difference will feel really weird when you're on skates.

Edited by Kevbeau

I like the TV idea.. it should work great for my son. :)

I was reading up on DIY shooting pads and there are people who used this: http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=16605-46498-300&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3015239&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

A 4x8 hardboard panel. Then polished it with Pledge and said it works well with regular pucks. I've been meaning to buy a piece and try it out. People have even placed pegs into them and used tightly wound bungee cords to provide a bouncing panel for passing work as well.

a whole thread on it here -> http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1243031

Never use a hockey ball!...Just kidding. They do make stickhandling specific balls that mimic the movement and weight of a puck more so than your average street hockey ball. They're not too expensive and while there's no perfect substitute for practicing while your on skates, it definitely helps. I used to have a TV in the garage and I would watch the game while stickhandling. Helps keep your eyes up and teaches "feel."

Additionally, start paying attention to where players put the puck when carrying it. Basic stuff. Out in front, to the side, where they put it in relation to the closest defender. It'll give you an idea of where to carry the puck in certain situations and make you a better defender. Edit: When using a ball to stickhandle..get a cheap (or old stick) and cut it down to match (in shoes) where your ice stick comes up on you while on skates. If you just use your ice stick for dry land practice, the length difference will feel really weird when you're on skates.

Good advice! Thanks for posting. I thought of another very good little drill to do that makes a big difference. Stand with feet together and ball out in front and stick handle--both tapping, holding ball close to stick and using a back and forth motion at different times--and go around clockwise and counter clockwise. Real handy for learning how to carry the puck with you when you want to face a different direction, turn away from a defender or wheel for a shot on goal. Not as easy as it sounds but once you get good at it it can buy you valuable time to make the perfect play and be a hero :) Ain't that what we all want, lol

• 1 month later...

Just thought I'd bump this thread.

I finally took the first step to accomplish my goal, since I was a kid, of playing ice hockey. I signed up for hockey skating lessons at the local ice rink. I turn 29yrs old in March, I figured time is running out to get started. I used to roller blade all the time when I was younger, so skating forward is not a problem, I need to learn skating backwards and stopping. I used to have my own net that I'd shoot at in the driveway, so I think if I can get the skating down, I won't be toooo bad. Definitely going to see how the class goes before sinking any money into equipment, but reading through this thread was pretty helpful.

That's awesome, skaught. Sounds like you're well on your way. For stopping, practice using your edges to shave ice. Stand along the boards and shave ice with your inside edge, right skate out to the right, then left out to the left. Don't put too much weight on your shaving skate. Then try putting your skate on its outside edge and push to the left with your right skate etc.

Then going down ice with a little speed, put more of your weight on a balancing leg and diagonally push out the other skate at about a 45-degree angle and shave ice to slowly stop. One-footed snow plow. Practice both ways so you don't start favoring one way. Bend knees and sit down more and use more of your edge to stop faster and throw more snow. I found that at first I had more luck with this when I stayed more on top of my skate, using just a little of the inside edge.

The t-stop gets you the next part of the hockey stop, by teaching you how to use the outside edge on your back foot to stop.

You combine the two and you have a hockey stop. I find any videos with kids are helpful:

I also like this guy:

And these guys:

This instructor covers hockey stopping too:

Backwards has been really tough for me. The fear of falling can be pretty strong. Find the best place to put your weight and you'll be ahead of the game. Too far forward and you're going to go on your nose, too far back, your butt. I've found I like to be more on the balls of my feet and everything centered a bit more toward the toes. Get in that position and push yourself off the boards to get the feel. Then spread your legs out and bring them back in (lemons or swizzles). Progress to the c-cut. Some instructors suggest that the shape of the cut be more of a half heart.

Good luck! Keep posting.

I learned to hockey stop by simply going into turns and letting my skates gradually dig into the ice until I got use to that feeling. Just skate, then glide and then start to turn, get use to it and turn deeper and dig skates into ice a little more. Really, stopping is just turning your skates into the ice so learning by turning is just doing it slowly but surely. Hope that makes sense and helps

That's awesome, skaught. Sounds like you're well on your way. For stopping, practice using your edges to shave ice. Stand along the boards and shave ice with your inside edge, right skate out to the right, then left out to the left. Don't put too much weight on your shaving skate. Then try putting back foot to stop.

You combine the two and you have a hockey stop. I find any videos with kids are helpful:

I also like this guy:

Good luck! Keep posting.

Sounds like all good advice. PA, do you start forward and then turn around to skate backwards? That's how I learned. Did a million front to backs, back to fronts till I got that down

I learned to hockey stop by simply going into turns and letting my skates gradually dig into the ice until I got use to that feeling. Just skate, then glide and then start to turn, get use to it and turn deeper and dig skates into ice a little more. Really, stopping is just turning your skates into the ice so learning by turning is just doing it slowly but surely. Hope that makes sense and helps

Perfect sense. A skate guard told me that trick and it helps. I guess my biggest pet peeve with most of the advice you get, especially in videos, is that they just say, here's what you do, just dramatically turn your lower body 90 degrees while going at speed. It sounds easy, but it's tough to commit to that when you're learning — and older, and afraid of being put in a home, and eating with a drool cup. I like your approach here. Ease into it.

Sounds like all good advice. PA, do you start forward and then turn around to skate backwards? That's how I learned. Did a million front to backs, back to fronts till I got that down

I've just started trying to make that transition from forward to backwards. It's pretty ugly right now. More of a turn, almost stop, then go backwards move.

Perfect sense. A skate guard told me that trick and it helps. I guess my biggest pet peeve with most of the advice you get, especially in videos, is that they just say, here's what you do, just dramatically turn your lower body 90 degrees while going at speed. It sounds easy, but it's tough to commit to that when you're learning — and older, and afraid of being put in a home, and eating with a drool cup. I like your approach here. Ease into it.

I've just started trying to make that transition from forward to backwards. It's pretty ugly right now. More of a turn, almost stop, then go backwards move.

I have to admit, I'd never have learned to go backwards without actually playing hockey. It was one of those things where just having my skating pushed to its limits by much better players basically forced me to take risks. I distinctly remember one day just suddenly "knowing" how to do it.

Just thought I'd bump this thread.

I finally took the first step to accomplish my goal, since I was a kid, of playing ice hockey. I signed up for hockey skating lessons at the local ice rink. I turn 29yrs old in March, I figured time is running out to get started. I used to roller blade all the time when I was younger, so skating forward is not a problem, I need to learn skating backwards and stopping. I used to have my own net that I'd shoot at in the driveway, so I think if I can get the skating down, I won't be toooo bad. Definitely going to see how the class goes before sinking any money into equipment, but reading through this thread was pretty helpful.

Awesome. I played my first game of ice hockey on my 33rd birthday. Now, at 46 I'm basically playing an NHL schedule this January. My body doesn't even recover before I have to play again. I walk around stiff and sore an happy as ######.

I have to admit, I'd never have learned to go backwards without actually playing hockey. It was one of those things where just having my skating pushed to its limits by much better players basically forced me to take risks. I distinctly remember one day just suddenly "knowing" how to do it.

Absolutely. I learned by going to an 11 pm open hockey game every week. One game I couldn't hockey stop, the next game I could. I was the worst skater there for a while but didn't give a crap.. Then one day I remember thinking, "Hey, that guy's worse than me."

Edited by SwampD

Awesome. I played my first game of ice hockey on my 33rd birthday. Now, at 46 I'm basically playing an NHL schedule this January. My body doesn't even recover before I have to play again. I walk around stiff and sore an happy as ######.

I was there a few years ago, playing at least three times a week but I'm down to about 1.5 skates a week. If taking the equipment on and off was easier I'd play more! Lol

Heh, well that makes me feel a bit better. My dad recommended that I get my own skates instead of using the rentals, so I will look into that. I checked craigslist, but it seems like used skates are pretty rare around here in San Diego. None in my size.

The ice rink I'm going to doesn't have a pro shop, but there's another one about 20 miles away that does, so I might check that out.

Heh, well that makes me feel a bit better. My dad recommended that I get my own skates instead of using the rentals, so I will look into that. I checked craigslist, but it seems like used skates are pretty rare around here in San Diego. None in my size.

The ice rink I'm going to doesn't have a pro shop, but there's another one about 20 miles away that does, so I might check that out.

Definitely get a pair of your own skates. Spend around $200 if not a little more to ensure you get a skate with enough support and a comfortable tongue to help prevent lace bite. Skates are the one piece of equipment you shouldn't cheap out on.

Take time and try all the different models. They'll all fit different.

None of them should hurt. You may feel some discomfort in the foam on the side of your ankles but that should bake out. Don't expect the part of the boot around the widest part of your foot to change fit. Make sure your arches aren't hurting or that your toes aren't squished together.

Where are you located? I might be able to direct you to a good place near by.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.