GDT: Buffalo at Vancouver 3-23-14 at 8:00 PM EDT

26CornerBlitz

logo.png

GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

140633062_slide.jpg

GAME #71: BUF (20-42-8) at VAN (32-30-10) – SUN MAR 23 – 8:00 PM EDT – MSG-B, BELL TVWGR-550

BUFFALO SABRES BuffaloSabresSmiley-1.png

Final Lineup

82 Marcus Foligno – 63 Tyler Ennis – 21 Drew Stafford ("A")

88 Cory Conacher – 19 Cody Hodgson – 17 Torrey Mitchell

37 Matt Ellis – 65 Brian Flynn – 27 Matt D’Agostini

32 John Scott – 24 Zenon Konopka – 44 Nicolas Deslauriers

X: 28 Zemgus Girgensons (LBI), 80 Chris Stewart (ankle), 23 Ville Leino (healthy)

10 Christian Ehrhoff ("A") – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

20 Henrik Tallinder ("A") – 5 Chad Ruhwedel

6 Mike Weber – 4 Jamie McBain

X: 52 Alexander Sulzer (LBI), 57 Tyler Myers (elbow)

50 Nathan Lieuwen

31 Matt Hackett

X: 1 Jhonas Enroth (LBI), 34 Michal Neuvirth (LBI)

Lineup News & Notes

F Zemgus Girgensons (LBI), F Chris Stewart (ankle), F Ville Leino (healthy), D Alex Sulzer (LBI), D Tyler Myers (elbow),

and G Michal Neuvirth were scratches in Thursday's 3-1 win at Edmonton.

Weekly Transactions

03/17: Recalled G Matt Hackett (emergency basis) from Rochester (AHL).

According to the Stats

In the last 10 games, the Sabres have gone 2-8-0.

Cory Conacher figured in all three goals Thursday with two goals and an assist.

Drew Stafford has six points (5G/1A) in the past six games.

VANCOUVER CANUCKS Vancouver_Canucks_logo_SS.png

Final Lineup

22 Daniel Sedin ("A") – 33 Henrik Sedin ("C") – 46 Nicklas Jensen

20 Chris Higgins – 17 Ryan Kesler – 36 Jannik Hansen

7 David Booth – 15 Brad Richardson – 9 Zack Kassian

29 Tom Sestito – 27 Shawn Matthias – 21 Zac Dalpe

X: 14 Alexandre Burrows (hand), 40 Michael Zalewski (healthy), 45 Jordan Schroeder (healthy)

2 Dan Hamhuis – 5 Jason Garrison

23 Alexander Edler – 3 Kevin Bieksa ("A")

18 Ryan Stanton – 6 Yannick Weber

X: 8 Christopher Tanev (fingers)

31 Eddie Lack

35 Jacob Markstrom

Lineup News & Notes

Vancouver scratched D Christopher Tanev, C Ryan Kesler, F Michael Zalewski and F Darren Archibald in

Wednesday's 2-0 win vs. Nashville.

C Ryan Kesler (knee), skated Saturday and will be a game-time decision.

F Mike Santorelli (shoulder) and D Andrew Alberts (concussion) are on IR.

Weekly Transactions

03/20: Re-assigned F Darren Archibald to Utica (AHL).

According to the Stats

In the Last 10 games, Vancouver has gone 4-6-0.

Henrik Sedin has five assists in three games.

Kevin Bieksa has assists in three straight games.

PREGAME LINKS

03/21 – GAME RECAP: CONACHER SPARKS BUFFALO WIN OVER EDMONTON (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

03/19 – GAME RECAP: Rookies Lack, Jensen lead Canucks past Predators (Kevin Woodley – NHL.com)

03/22 – Daniel Sedin to return as Canucks host Sabres (NHL.com)

03/21 – BEYOND THE BOARDS: PUTTING THE PIECES TOGETHER (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

03/22 – Canucks Report: Daniel's back (Daniel Fung – Canucks.com)

03/22 – BEYOND THE BOARDS: HOMECOMING KING (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

03/21 – Game Preview: 3/23/14 at Vancouver Canucks (Ian Ott – Sabres PR)

03/21 – John Tortorella speaks with the media Friday following Canucks practice at Rogers Arena <2:49>

03/22 – Joey Kenward previews Sunday's match up at Rogers Arena between the Canucks and Buffalo <2:14>

03/22 – John Tortorella updates his lineup as the Canucks prepare to host the Buffalo Sabres Sunday afternoon <2:05>

03/22 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following Saturday's practice at Rogers Arena. <5:12>

03/22 – Dan Dunleavy recaps Saturday's practice at Rogers Arena. <1:46>

03/22 – Matt Ellis speaks with the media following Saturday's practice at Rogers Arena. <1:37>

03/22 – Nathan Lieuwen speaks with the media following Saturday's practice at Rogers Arena. <4:47>

03/22 – Cody Hodgson speaks with the media following Saturday's practice at Rogers Arena. <2:47>

03/23 – Tale of the Tape: Game 73: Canucks vs. Sabres (3.23.14) (Daniel Fung – Canucks.com)

03/23 – Canucks Report: Hello Buffalo (Jeff Paterson – Canucks.com)

POSTGAME LINKS

03/23 – GAME RECAP: SABRES WASTE QUICK START IN LOSS TO CANUCKS (Kevin Snow – Sabres.com)

03/23 – Brian Duff and Dan Dunleavy recap the Sabres 4-2 loss to the Canucks. <4:10>

03/23 – Ted Nolan speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-2 loss to the Canucks. <2:09>

03/23 – Jamie McBain speaks with Brian Duff and Brad May following the Sabres 4-2 loss to the Canucks. <3:04>

03/23 – Nathan Lieuwen speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-2 loss to the Canucks. <2:12>

03/23 – Tyler Ennis speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-2 loss to the Canucks. <1:56>

03/23 – Christian Ehrhoff speaks with the media following the Sabres 4-2 loss to the Canucks. <1:18>

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I was somewhat expecting to see Leino back in the line-up on the 1st or 2nd line. It wouldn't be the first time it has happened this year. I see no reason for Ville Leino to ever be in the Sabres line-up again, I don't care what they are paying him, I do not want one of our young player picking up any of Leino's bad habits (skill set).

Thanks, 26CB.

The GDT is always the highlight of any Sabre game.

I may get to to follow this one a bit, since it starts at 9:00 PM Halifax time.

In other news the Mooseheads are up 2 games to 0 in their first round series against the PEI Islanders (that's the tropical island of PEI).

GO MOOSEHEADS!!

I mean ...

GO SABRES!!

Thanks, 26CB.

The GDT is always the highlight of any Sabre game.

I may get to to follow this one a bit, since it starts at 9:00 PM Halifax time.

In other news the Mooseheads are up 2 games to 0 in their first round series against the PEI Islanders (that's the tropical island of PEI).

GO MOOSEHEADS!!

I mean ...

GO SABRES!!

You're welcome as always.

03/23 – Tale of the Tape: Game 73: Canucks vs. Sabres (3.23.14) (Daniel Fung – Canucks.com)

Canucks fans have to be on suicide watch. If we win tonight...

That, and Lieuwen's first W are two good things to root for tonight.

I don't ever remember watching Sunday night games before, and now this is the third Sunday night in a row. I kinda like 'em.

Pretty great quotes from the coaches in this article. Torts when asked about why rookie Jensen gained his trust so quickly while Zack has been in the doghouse:

“(Jensen’s) awareness is above where I’d thought it would be,” Tortorella said. “Him and Zack are two different players. I don’t want to compare them because I’d have to be critical of one, and that’s just not fair."

Nolan on Hodgson and his role on our roster:

“You realize certain players are gifted in certain areas,” Nolan said of Hodgson. “Cody is one of those guys, that if you get him within 10, or five feet of that net and they’re going to go in.

“But we have to find some people who can ... You’re only as good as your surroundings.”

Edited by qwksndmonster

Nolan on Hodgson and his role on our roster:

“You realize certain players are gifted in certain areas,” Nolan said of Hodgson. “Cody is one of those guys, that if you get him within 10, or five feet of that net and they’re going to go in.

“But we have to find some people who can ... You’re only as good as your surroundings.”

The player also has to be willing to get within 5 to10 feet of the net.

Edited by kishoph

Eleven points away from second (last), twelve games to go. Two games in hand over Edmonton, who has decided to lose their last two.

There has been secretive research being conducted throughout the war, in preparation for a time that we would need a dominating battle technology against a coastal opponent. Scientists have been working for months to achieve a new level of seaside combat efficiency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoy4_h7Pb3M

How does one tank against the ocean-born killer whale? Experiments with amphibious tanks didn't go as well as expected.

1305779180.jpg

Instead, we captured current ocean-going technology and developed it into a new, tank-worthy platform, fit for battle on land and in the fjords of British Columbia.

UNLEASH THE MECHA WHALES!!

mechawhales2.jpg

P2051239.jpg

DSCN5932.jpg

ONWARD!!

The player also has to be willing to get within 5 to10 feet of the net.

The follow up quote makes me wonder what Nolan was getting at. Was he referring to Hodgson being really good in close, or that if we had people who would go in close he'd get them the puck? I think it's the former, but it's still an odd sequence of quotes.

Eleven points away from second (last), twelve games to go. Two games in hand over Edmonton, who has decided to lose their last two.

There has been secretive research being conducted throughout the war, in preparation for a time that we would need a dominating battle technology against a coastal opponent. Scientists have been working for months to achieve a new level of seaside combat efficiency.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoy4_h7Pb3M

How does one tank against the ocean-born killer whale? Experiments with amphibious tanks didn't go as well as expected.

1305779180.jpg

Instead, we captured current ocean-going technology and developed it into a new, tank-worthy platform, fit for battle on land and in the fjords of British Columbia.

UNLEASH THE MECHA WHALES!!

mechawhales2.jpg

P2051239.jpg

DSCN5932.jpg

ONWARD!!

Shite ! I'm in enemy territory.

The follow up quote makes me wonder what Nolan was getting at. Was he referring to Hodgson being really good in close, or that if we had people who would go in close he'd get them the puck? I think it's the former, but it's still an odd sequence of quotes.

Nolan just realizes Hodgson doesn't have the talent on his wings he deserves.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.