Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

Whoever says there's no bias in the officiating or that it evens out over time needs to re-watch this game over and over until they realize how wrong they are.

The Bills are bad enough on their own. They can't beat a good team with all things being equal and they have no chance to beat a good team getting preferential calls by the officials. The fist bump sealed it. I thought I saw it live but assumed I was just being paranoid. Rewound it on the dvr and couldn't believe it.

I may have only paid $60 or $80 for Sunday ticket this year thanks to complain to Directv and threatening to cancel service but even that is too much. Next year I'm streaming the games illegally and keeping my money. The NFL can suck a bag of ######.

Yes or no: were the refs the reason the Bills lost that game?

No. All 27 men on the field have a role in any given play.

Yes or no: if the phantom calls on Gilmore and Roby were not called on third down, do the Broncos likely have eight less points?

Yes or no: if the two long interception returns weren't called back on penalties that were never shown on TV, do the Bills likely have six more points?

Yes or no: were the refs the reason the Bills lost that game?

It's not a yes or no question.

Did the refs have an effect on the final score of the game? Absolutely.

If you thinks that's ok then fine. I do not.

We'll never know if the Bills would have won or not had those calls not been so corrupt (I tend to think no), but we were never given the chance to find out.

well u may not mean to be a dick... but....-I see the quote and multiquote-and WAS using them to no avail....like I had just said....-

This happens to me at work regardless of the browser I use. I assume it is related to their firewall.

It's not a yes or no question.

Did the refs have an effect on the final score of the game? Absolutely.

If you thinks that's ok then fine. I do not.

We'll never know if the Bills would have won or not had those calls not been so corrupt (I tend to think no), but we were never given the chance to find out.

Exactly. We'll never know if the outcome would have been different, but the effected the game in a way that favored one team over the other. I sent the NFL an email, not that it matters I'm guessing. I'll vote with my wallet though. I'm not spending a dime on any NFL merchandise for myself, friends, or family and I will tell them all not to spend any money on stuff for me as well. No more preseason package or Sunday Ticket either. Illegal streams or I just flat out won't watch.

In the end, the calls always even out. Be patient. We just have to wait until we're good enough so that it doesn't matter.

I think you're being facetious, but I think this is absolutely the case. I expect these horrible calls to continue to happen on crucial plays that in return cause fans to question how things might have been. It's never going to change.

For example, the Pats suffered from an even worse call than any that went against the Bills yesterday that negated a fumble recovery interception for a TD. They won anyway.

Edited by Claude_Verret

If it makes you feel better, Cleveland pretty much beat Indy Sunday, but a crucial pass interference penalty against Cleveland extended the Indy drive that turned out to be the game winner. The frustrating thing is that the refs were letting a lot of interference-like pass defense go (let 'em play), and the one that got called against Cleveland would probably not have been called by most of the officials in the league; seemed at worst to be incidental contact, clearly not as bad as several hits before the ball got there that broke up passes on both sides that were not called as penalties.

For example, the Pats suffered from an even worse call than any that went against the Bills yesterday that negated a fumble recovery interception for a TD. They won anyway.

You thought that was a bad call? A hit that rocked the receiver's helmet pretty violently (although on replay you can see the shoulder hit the receiver before a glancing helmet-to-helmet blow) to the point that the receiver was knocked out cold? Note that the ref was pulling flag while the players were still in the air and before the interception. I thought that was a good, honest call.

If it makes you feel better, Cleveland pretty much beat Indy Sunday, but a crucial pass interference penalty against Cleveland extended the Indy drive that turned out to be the game winner. The frustrating thing is that the refs were letting a lot of interference-like pass defense go (let 'em play), and the one that got called against Cleveland would probably not have been called by most of the officials in the league; seemed at worst to be incidental contact, clearly not as bad as several hits before the ball got there that broke up passes on both sides that were not called as penalties.

If I was going to influence the outcome of a game, that is how I would do it. Sorta like letting everyone speed, so you can then only pull over the black drivers,... but that doesn't happen either, I'm told.

I think you're being facetious, but I think this is absolutely the case. I expect these horrible calls to continue to happen on crucial plays that in return cause fans to question how things might have been. It's never going to change.

Good teams, especially with great Quarterbacks, get the benefit of the doubt. Expectations color experience for all humans all of the time.

The Buffalo Bills have been so bad for so long that they have lost all benefit of the doubt.

This is closer to what I meant. Once the calls start to even up for us, it will be because we are good enough to get the benefit of the doubt from the refs. In which case we won't need them anyway. Funny how that works.

Either way, the number of penalties has obviously increased this year. The number of rules continues to increase. The age of the officials continues to increase. The quality of officiating continues to decrease. The consistency of officiating continues to disappear. The thug mentality continues to increase. The number of commercials continues to increase. This makes for a ###### product and the quality has gotten worse with every passing year. I used to know the Bills like I do the Sabres. Now, I couldn't name you 5 jersey numbers to go along with the names off the top of my head. I've given up on NHRA for much of these same reasons and also NASCAR. Baseball I gave up on several years ago. The NFL isn't far behind for me. The games have absolutely no flow any more because of the number of penalties and commercials. It seems like lately I just use it as an excuse to go to my local pub to get dinner so I don't have to cook that night.

Put all that together with the fact the Bills have now missed the playoffs for 15 straight years, and even this die-hard fan has lost patience.

You thought that was a bad call? A hit that rocked the receiver's helmet pretty violently (although on replay you can see the shoulder hit the receiver before a glancing helmet-to-helmet blow) to the point that the receiver was knocked out cold? Note that the ref was pulling flag while the players were still in the air and before the interception. I thought that was a good, honest call.

I admit that I'm not up on the letter of the rule, but the hit was clearly shoulder to shoulder to me when I saw it in real time. If they are splitting hairs with glancing blows from the helmet after the brunt of the force from the hit came shoulder pad to shoulder pad then I guess it was the right call (and a terrible rule). I understand the need to prtect the safety of the players from the head hunting, but at some point the league still has to allow these guys to play football.

I'm with JJ. Football is nigh unwatchable. I can't get through the commercials of a game unless the Bills are playing. I can't care enough about another team to watch 150 minutes of commercials and BS. Every single game is tainted by abysmal reffing. How hard would it be for the NFL to set up a command center of refs to handle all "flag challenges" from over the league (similar to Toronto for hockey). You train 30-40 new refs and make sure they are all on the same page as far as rule enforcement goes. Have quality control meetings and review bad calls, and what the right call would've been.

The NFL with their hundreds of billions of dollars doesn't care about the product on the field, and probably never will. Why should I watch? (because I'm stupid)

Edited by qwksndmonster

I don't understand why Terry Pegula wasn't on the phone today at 8:01 AM to Roger Goodell's office - to review a detailed list of all those bad calls, and explain to Goodell very clearly that either he gets this incompetent or corrupt officiating fixed, or Goodell will be looking for a new employer.

Or if Pegula didn't want to dirty his hands with it, assign the job of verbally dressing-down Goodell to Battista.

I don't understand why Terry Pegula wasn't on the phone today at 8:01 AM to Roger Goodell's office - to review a detailed list of all those bad calls, and explain to Goodell very clearly that either he gets this incompetent or corrupt officiating fixed, or Goodell will be looking for a new employer.

Or if Pegula didn't want to dirty his hands with it, assign the job of verbally dressing-down Goodell to Battista.

Because it isn't in TP's power to can Goodell?

Because the owners are probably happy with Goodell in light of the enormous amounts of $$ he's made them?

Because grownups don't carry on about the refs?

Because it isn't in TP's power to can Goodell?

Because the owners are probably happy with Goodell in light of the enormous amounts of $$ he's made them?

Because grownups don't carry on about the refs?

I'll also add that the owners like hiding behind a punching bag. Goodell is the focal point, takes the beating, and they get away unscathed.

I'll also add that the owners like hiding behind a punching bag. Goodell is the focal point, takes the beating, and they get away unscathed.

Yeap. Although I'm sure they'd prefer a punching bag that isn't falling apart at its seems right now.