Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

1 for 9 on the first 9 3rd down conversions. We picked up another two 3rd downs in garbage time to bring the game total to 3 for 12

7 points off 4 1st half turnovers. The average start for the 4 drives was midfield.

40% of Kyle Orton's completions were touchdowns, yet we only attempted 17 passes.

We averaged 2 yards a carry and ran it 29 times.

That's systemic wussery, and it'll hurt his team in the long run.

With all due respect, the team has won three of its last four. They turned the ball over six times, beat a division opponent on the road and smashed them to boot. I'm sleeping happy tonight.

The QB threw for 4 TDs, threw deep, and had a 23.8 yards/completion average. I can find a positive stat for all your negative stats.

Watkins 3-157 and a TD,

4 sacks today

Edited by wjag

With all due respect, the team has won three of its last four. They turned the ball over six times, beat a division opponent on the road and smashed them to boot. I'm sleeping happy tonight.

The QB threw for 4 TDs, threw deep, and had a 23.8 yards/completion average. I can find a positive stat for all your negative stats.

Watkins 3-157 and a TD,

4 sacks today

You missed my point. We won, yes, but our offense needs to be able to fire on all cylinders if we're going to be legit contenders. If our offensive players get it ingrained in them that the defense will pick up the slack and constant production isn't necessary, then we're bringing about our own demise. It's Dick Jauron coaching with more talent on the field.

No ###### sherlock. There are so many outcomes right now, isn't a team your rooting for now likely a team you may be rooting against later.

Sure but the Colts are going to win their division. Them winning against other AFC teams would only benefit the Bills. Now or later.

I Really like the two Buffalo-related excerpts from the NFL.com article about the game.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000417833/article/sammy-watkins-buffalo-bills-crush-new-york-jets

4. Bills fans can -- and should -- complain about the ultra-conservative play calling from their coaching staff. The Jets are so obviously hurting in the secondary, but the prevailing option seemed to be forcing the ball to Anthony Dixon, whose longest carry of the afternoon was 5 yards. This game didn't need to be close after the midway point of the second quarter.

5. Sammy Watkins is incredible. He had gains of 84 and 61 on Sunday and a touchdown, but the one thing everybody will remember was the score that didn't happen. As polished of a product as he is, Watkins learned the hard way that he can be caught from behind. If nothing else for the Jets, the tackle by converted safety Saalim Hakim can be on Rex's hustle reel on Monday.

Its never as black and white as we won so everything was good and you cannot criticize anything, and we lost so nothing was good and we can criticize everything. If you can't find the negatives of this game, then oh well.

I get that. But if folks choose to wallow in the bad instead of celebrating the good, oh, well. Every game has a dozen bad things that could be pointed out. And every game needs to be viewed myopically because the in-game situations are always different.

If the Jets did not call that bone-headed play with Harvin in the endzone, this game may have turned out very differently.

The Offense put up 43 points. Many of them gift-wrapped by the defense. But still, Orton had a 23 yards per completion average and threw for four TDs. The Bills had a third/fourth string RB in the game. To complain about a 2 yards per run average seems crazy to me. If the number one RB only had 2 yards, I get the complaints. But Buffalo was running with a Brown (3rd string) and Summers (full back) today. The Jets D was stout. Everyone knows that. To try and throw on them exposes a QB to hits. It made sense to run as much as possible.

Edited by wjag

I get that. But if folks choose to wallow in the bad instead of celebrating the good, oh, well. Every game has a dozen bad things that could be pointed out. And every game needs to be viewed myopically because the in-game situations are always different.

If the Jets did not call that bone-headed play with Harvin in the endzone, this game may have turned out very differently.

The Offense put up 43 points. Many of them gift-wrapped by the defense. But still, Orton had a 23 yards per completion average and threw for four TDs. The Bills had a third/fourth string RB in the game. To complain about a 2 yards per run average seems crazy to me. If the number one RB only had 2 yards, I get the complaints. But Buffalo was running with a full back today. The Jets D was stout. Everyone knows that. To try and throw on them exposes a QB to hits. It made sense to run as much as possible.

I am anything but a pessimist for pessimism's sake. A few seasons ago, I predicted Drew Stafford to score 35 goals.

You're right that the biggest danger of throwing more was Orton taking more hits, but the reason he got pressured so bad was that they knew exactly when we were going to throw it, when we had to. An offense needs to develop rhythm so they can keep their defense off the field.

You can celebrate crushing the abysmal Jets, but I see another season of no playoffs, so I can't really get my blood up.

Edited by qwksndmonster

The Offense put up 43 points. Many of them gift-wrapped by the defense. But still, Orton had a 23 yards per completion average and threw for four TDs. The Bills had a third/fourth string RB in the game. To complain about a 2 yards per run average seems crazy to me. If the number one RB only had 2 yards, I get the complaints. But Buffalo was running with a Brown (3rd string) and Summers (full back) today. The Jets D was stout. Everyone knows that. To try and throw on them exposes a QB to hits. It made sense to run as much as possible.

I get that and agree. Go over to TBD and see that for sure lol, I just don't think that is what's been going on this thread at all. And I disagree about the focus on running today. Jets have the worst secondary in the league and great run D. We have a bad interior line and down to a fullback like you said, with great WRs. Why wouldn't the emphasis be on passing (every successful bils paly today was a pass). I just think you should play strengths and weaknesses, they have a great run d and an atrocious pass D, so why not throw on them more?

And you explained why the average ypc was 2, i understand that, that's why I dont get running a fullback up the middle and into their strength repeatedly. It was never going to work, and it didn't Its not like we lost our RBs this game and couldn't prepare. We have another RB we literally traded for (for circumstances like this). Meh, I'm ecstatic over the win today. However, the team is still extremely undisciplined. And hackett's gameplans on offense are still embarrassing.

(I don't remember what I posted as my predictions in this thread, but I think this is a playoff time with more positives than negatives). I think the two biggest negatives are the penalties and Hackett. It doesn't take a genius not to one your fullback up the middle against the run D all game. And if the only excuse is not to get orton hit, then we need an OC. There are other plays you can run that can protect your QB without setting up 3rd and 8 every 5 minutes

Edited by Numark

Well, I think the Bills would've lost to quite a few NFL teams today, but a win is a win. Orton made at least 10 throws that EJ probably wouldn't have completed.

And I think Watkins might be their best player since Thurman.

I hope you mean best offensive player.

Even though, my phone camera is pretty crappy, you can still feel the awesomeness of Wood's mop.

post-1429-0-52459200-1414385695_thumb.jpg

I remember the first Bills training camp I ever went to: rookie Eric Wood came over and started stretching 5 yards away from us. He was wearing #69, and some guys started hooting about it. He chuckled and said the equipment managers promised they'd add one if he had a good camp.

That was the first time I'd ever seen an NFL linesman close up. Man is huge. And he looks like Therman Merman.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I remember the first Bills training camp I ever went to: rookie Eric Wood came over and started stretching 5 yards away from us. He was wearing #69, and some guys started hooting about it. He chuckled and said the equipment managers promised they'd add one if he had a good camp.

That was the first time I'd ever seen an NFL linesman close up. Man is huge. And he looks like Therman Merman.

Thank god they moved him to #70. I gave my aunt an Eric Wood t-shirt for her 70th birthday last year.

Two Williamses and a Dareus. And maybe even a Kiko. And that's just the current roster.

Well, it depends on what the meaning of "is" is (heh).

What I meant was that Watkins might be the kind of no-BS all-pro stud that is a very rare bird indeed. And I don't think the 3 guys you mentioned are at that level.

However, one post-Thurman guy I forgot who was at that level was Ted Washington.