Buffalo Bills 2014

WildCard

So the Pats are drafting more guys even though they aren't looking for a replacement? Nice. That actually makes it worse.

One can use Schopp's stat to say that the Bills need to keep drafting QB's until they find a good one. Then there are the fans that say the Bills need to draft QB's in the first round every year. Using Schopp's variables, the Pats have drafted one QB in the 1st round in the last 31 years. Doesn't say much for the drafting 1st round QB's philosophy.

One can use Schopp's stat to say that the Bills need to keep drafting QB's until they find a good one. Then there are the fans that say the Bills need to draft QB's in the first round every year. Using Schopp's variables, the Pats have drafted one QB in the 1st round in the last 31 years. Doesn't say much for the drafting 1st round QB's philosophy.

Let's simplify things: Do you think the Bills should have done more or less to find a good QB since 2001?

Key controversial calls on crucial down/distance plays went the pats way....again. The bills offense shot themselves in the foot plenty, but the refs provided additional favors. Brady usually doesn't need the extra opportunities, but he got them anyway.

The way the Cheatriots' line was playing in the 2nd after the guard went down, I thought the D would steamroll them in the 2nd half. Not meant to be. Bellicheat and crew made adjustments that allowed them to score on every meaningful drive in the 2nd. Had the guard gone out in the 3rd rather than the 2nd they might not have been able to adjust the game plan, but probably would have.

Thought Edelman got away w/ a couple of plays that could have drawn flags (they did draw them on Bills' receivers) but in the end it came down to QB & adjustments.

Let's simplify things: Do you think the Bills should have done more or less to find a good QB since 2001?

I can't say one way or another. The NFL has taken a drastic change of direction in QB's over the last decade.

1) Teams are looking for instant gratification. It doesn't happen overnight and it rarely happens with 1st or 2nd year QB's. QB's need a couple of years to develop and teams aren't willing to wait that long. I'm not saying the Bills have, or have had, QB's that they didn't hold on to long enough..... but I'm looking at it from the perspective of a scouting department.

2) The types of QB's have changed over the last decade. For a while teams were looking for rushing QB's and it hasn't worked out favorably. Teams didn't realize that Randall Cunningham was an exception to the rule and I don't think Russell Wilson will be able to maintain his level of success once the Seahawks start having to let guys go becuase they can't afford them. But, I digress.

The Bills could have tried to do more to find a good QB. But with what I mentioned above, franchise QB's are getting tougher and tougher to come by becuase of that desire for instant gratification and the uncertainty what type of QB to look for. My overall point is the Bills aren't in this situation because they have an inept front office. My overall point is that the vast majority of teams are in the same situation. My point is proven by looking at the most dominant QB's in the league. They are still the older generation. I bet if we were to look at the success rates of high drafted QB's up until say 2005, it would much higher than those drafted after 2005. (I'm using 2005 as a rough estimate to separate older generation QB's to new generation QB's because I'm sure somebody will come back with an exception to try and disprove me) I feel the best QB is the one with military-like leadership, stays in the pocket and has absolutely no emotions. The rest can be learned, unfortunately it would take a couple of years, Teams are still drafting QB's with the most talent and questionable leadership skills looking for immediate results and the vast majority of teams are stuck going through QB's every 3 years just like the Bills. Give it 5-7 years when Manning, Brady, Brees and Rodgers are out of the league. Almost every team will be going through the same routine every three years.

Do I think the Bills could have done more? If they were a team a couple years removed from the playoffs then yes, they could have had time to develop a QB. But, they're 15 years removed from the playoffs and right now they need immediate results because there is no more time for waiting. If they think EJ isn't the answer, make a move to get a 1st round pick and draft somebody to learn under Orton for a year or two. Orton isn't the answer, but Orton is veteran that can teach and he is good enough to get to the playoffs.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Using Schopp's variables, the Pats have drafted one QB in the 1st round in the last 31 years. Doesn't say much for the drafting 1st round QB's philosophy.

This isn't even a fair statement. They got incredibly lucky on Brady. With Brady they've gotten zero first round QBs and three rings in 14 years. Throw that out and the other 17 years are one first round QB and zero Super Bowls.

Coaching was putrid. Absolutely putrid. Game atmosphere was fun. A lot of WNY native late-teen pats fans, wonder which superbowl made them jump on the wagon :rolleyes:

Officiating, did not decide this game, and I don't want to make this a 'bills always get the wrong end of the calls' thing. But it is clear, watching any NFL game, that there is rarely a time where each team is called with the same rules. Today it wasn't in favor for us. Hughes slapping his teammate's helmet congratulating him for stopping the pats on 3rd down...fifteen yards and a first cause the ref thought it was a pats player? that was brutal. and with reference to the different rules, just, one team could push off the defensive backs and one couldn't. Again, this happens in every NFL game I watch now, and didn't lose us this one, but needs to be addressed in general, because it makes the game look bad. I can't wait til we're a good team again so pointing these things out doesn't look like being a sore loser, because that's what it looked like in the stadium surrounded by brady jerseys, though a few of the calls left them speechless, too. And we got away with a lot of holds, which means our line is even worse than they looked, they were porous enough as is.

Wicked "Terry" chant at the beginning, and someone from our section (338) got a paper airplane made from the "One Buffalo" cards onto the field during a play, it was spectacular.

Pegula should have fired marrone and Hackett after the game. They aren't good.

I've taken a lot of flack on here for calling Marrone a bargain bin coach. He doesn't have 'it' and never will have 'it'. He is the modern day Kay Stephenson or Hank Bullough.

I've taken a lot of flack on here for calling Marrone a bargain bin coach. He doesn't have 'it' and never will have 'it'. He is the modern day Kay Stephenson or Hank Bullough.

I think he was the hot candidate at the time, in hindsight shiny objects should be ignored.

Which still baffles me. The Browns wanted him, too.

Guess that's why these two teams are in the dumpster.

I think the Browns will look genius for the Pettine hire. Pitt, Baltimore are down and Cincy is Cincy. He'll have a few winning seasons and look great. Marrone is destined to be Otto the orange in about 5 minutes.

I think the Browns will look genius for the Pettine hire. Pitt, Baltimore are down and Cincy is Cincy. He'll have a few winning seasons and look great. Marrone is destined to be Otto the orange in about 5 minutes.

I think Pettine may end up being a very good head coach, but they hired Chud the offseason that the Marrone pursuit happened. I'm sure you know that, I was just noting it.

Good communicators (an education-free term) do so in a fashion that most successfully gets their audience to understand the point they are making. So far your style has resulted in more grief than success. You play to the crowd in front of you.

I'll add, this format is not just op-ed. It is a healthy mix of posted fact, opinion, and thoughts posted as fact even though they are opinion. Without obvious clues or expressly stated intent of a post we are are left to decide for ourselves which category a post falls under. In the end, the written word tends to get taken literally because we don't have anything else to weigh the words we see.

And with that I am going to try like hell to avoid the temptation to continue this line of conversation. Probably unsuccessfully.

It was a real inconvenience to have to scroll up and sign in, to agree with you Weave, But your post was too good to ignore.

Pegula should have fired marrone and Hackett after the game. They aren't good.

Owners shouldn't fire coaches — or say they ain't going anywhere. Owners fire presidents or GMs.

Wicked "Terry" chant at the beginning, and someone from our section (338) got a paper airplane made from the "One Buffalo" cards onto the field during a play, it was spectacular.

Good. Bills fans can have him. Hopefully he's tired of his hockey toy and now the Sabres can enjoy a period where good hockey people are in charge and the owner isn't hanging around during the summer eating Goobers and Pretzeldoodydoos.

Edited by PASabreFan

It might be the other way around; his nameplate was removed from his locker yesterday.

Twitter says it's because his agent requested the Bills allow him to seek a trade. So that's probably why no locker name.

The question is, why does Mike Williams want out? I reckon the answer isn't too hard to find.

Twitter says it's because his agent requested the Bills allow him to seek a trade. So that's probably why no locker name.

The question is, why does Mike Williams want out? I reckon the answer isn't too hard to find.

I might not have worded things right the first time: Signs point to the team not wanting him around--he was benched yesterday and his nameplate was gone. So now he's seeking a trade to a team where he can play.