How do Sabres reach cap floor next year and penalty for failing to do so?

matter2003

I think you'll be surprised how many players actually might want to come here.

Some positives:

• We have an uber-rich owner who doesn't mind front-loading cash laden contracts
  • We have a ton of cap space to throw money at guys
  • We have a ton of prospects and draft picks, which bodes well for the team's future
  • We have some good young players already
  • We have a coach who guys really love playing for
  • While the city of Buffalo might be a tough sell for NFL free agents, there are quite a few hockey players from nearby in Southern Ontario and WNY. It's actually a pretty desirable location for many hockey players.

In Tim Murry we trust!

Neuvirth mentioned something in his first interview here in Buffalo that I found positive: he recognized that this was a team that is rebuilding and he said he liked the idea of a team growing together, and, by implication, bonding together.

Young players, especially, must find this prospect enticing. These guys grow up in team environments, and spend their formative years on the same teams in minor leagues; I would have to imagine getting onto a team and developing relationships within it, and then trying to take that bundle all the way to glory has a lot of appeal. Certainly, if I were a player, that'd be the path I'd like to take, rather than being with a bunch of mercenaries.

Even now, we saw Miller and other members of the old "core" lamenting it being broken apart; guys becoming all upset when others are traded or leave.

There are some players who are all about the money, but, to a man, I think they all in some way, yearn to be on a roster that stays intact a long time.

Neuvirth mentioned something in his first interview here in Buffalo that I found positive: he recognized that this was a team that is rebuilding and he said he liked the idea of a team growing together, and, by implication, bonding together.

Young players, especially, must find this prospect enticing. These guys grow up in team environments, and spend their formative years on the same teams in minor leagues; I would have to imagine getting onto a team and developing relationships within it, and then trying to take that bundle all the way to glory has a lot of appeal. Certainly, if I were a player, that'd be the path I'd like to take, rather than being with a bunch of mercenaries.

Even now, we saw Miller and other members of the old "core" lamenting it being broken apart; guys becoming all upset when others are traded or leave.

There are some players who are all about the money, but, to a man, I think they all in some way, yearn to be on a roster that stays intact a long time.

Moulson mentioned when he left that he had never been in a room that was that close or words to that effect. Apparently the sabres despite their terrible record have a tight group.

I would indeed be surprised if it were many.

Players who may be interested: (reasons)

Ott (location, experience and family)

Moulson (expeience, money, terms of contract would likely be the biggest point)

Callahan (hometown team and money)

Jagr (money and could be deadline bait again)

Whitney (money)

many other older players looking for a job and a cash out

I wouldn't, players from the area who grew up watching and being a fan of the sabres, they'll always have that litlle kid inside that wanted to be a sabre.

Those should be Callahan and Kane (in 2015). Hell even Ott said its nice playinig closer to home and i consider him one to come back also.

We might have to overpay Callahan and Ott over the next two years but if i want two guys teaching our kids its those two.

Edit: if kane refuses to extend with chicago i can see him beeing with us sooner rather than later, allthough that wouldn't fit the tank plan :P

Edited by Heimdall

I wouldn't, players from the area who grew up watching and being a fan of the sabres, they'll always have that litlle kid inside that wanted to be a sabre.

Those should be Callahan and Kane (in 2015). Hell even Ott said its nice playinig closer to home and i consider him one to come back also.

We might have to overpay Callahan and Ott over the next two years but if i want two guys teaching our kids its those two.

Edit: if kane refuses to extend with chicago i can see him beeing with us sooner rather than later, allthough that wouldn't fit the tank plan :P

Why would Kane refuse to extend with Chicago?

Lots of speculation that it's either Toews or Kane since both will demand the same type of contract and Chicago might not be willing to pay them both. Thinking is they keep the captain? Not saying it will happen, but it could.

Lots of speculation that it's either Toews or Kane since both will demand the same type of contract and Chicago might not be willing to pay them both. Thinking is they keep the captain? Not saying it will happen, but it could.

Wait..... teams are allowed to keep their captain?

I think there is some truth to this, Buffalo by several accounts has some of the best facilities and amenities in the NHL for it's players and with Harbor Center is set to become a major player in all levels of hockey. Combine that with a top rated prospect system and a hard working close knit bunch coached by a coach who squeezes every last ounce of compete from his players and you got something special building. Throw in an owner who has some money to spend and boom, this thing really starts taking off!

Some positives:

• We have an uber-rich owner who doesn't mind front-loading cash laden contracts
  • We have a ton of cap space to throw money at guys
  • We have a ton of prospects and draft picks, which bodes well for the team's future
  • We have some good young players already
  • We have a coach who guys really love playing for
  • While the city of Buffalo might be a tough sell for NFL free agents, there are quite a few hockey players from nearby in Southern Ontario and WNY. It's actually a pretty desirable location for many hockey players.

In Tim Murry we trust!

Didn't the new CBA eliminate the front loading of contracts, with huge bonuses paid upfront?

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

At some point Bowman has to start worrying about the Hossa Contract. After 2017 his salary is only $1M/yr. If he retires or leaves the country, Chicago has to pay a $4.28M cap recapture penalty through 2021. If he stays, he's a 40-year-old man with a $5.25M cap hit. Given their successes, I think the contract was obviously worth it, but the time is coming to start paying the piper.

Unless, of course, they use an amnesty on him this summer.

They'll also have $6M tied up in one goalie starting next year, with no backup.

Chicago's situation is complicated. Unless Hossa is bought out, Toews or Kane (and I think more likely Kane) might get moved at the draft, or this summer, to reduce the long term payroll liabilities and free up some space for next season. Trading one of those guys for younger (cheaper) assets is definately a reasonable option.

At some point Bowman has to start worrying about the Hossa Contract. After 2017 his salary is only $1M/yr. If he retires or leaves the country, Chicago has to pay a $4.28M cap recapture penalty through 2021. If he stays, he's a 40-year-old man with a $5.25M cap hit. Given their successes, I think the contract was obviously worth it, but the time is coming to start paying the piper.

Unless, of course, they use an amnesty on him this summer.

They'll also have $6M tied up in one goalie starting next year, with no backup.

Chicago's situation is complicated. Unless Hossa is bought out, Toews or Kane (and I think more likely Kane) might get moved at the draft, or this summer, to reduce the long term payroll liabilities and free up some space for next season. Trading one of those guys for younger (cheaper) assets is definately a reasonable option.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but if Bowman moves Kane because of Hossa's contract instead of just buying out Hossa, then he's an idiot. And no, I don't care what the return on the Kane trade would be.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but if Bowman moves Kane because of Hossa's contract instead of just buying out Hossa, then he's an idiot. And no, I don't care what the return on the Kane trade would be.

Stan Bowman is a genius. If he chooses to trade Kane and keep Hossa around a few more years, and we don't understand why he did it, then we are clearly not geniuses. He built a cup winner, dismantled huge parts, and rebuilt a cup winner 3 years later around a core of like 4 guys. And if that is not enough proof that he is clearly the best GM of this generation and a front office wizard:

He graduated from Notre Dame.

I rest my case.

Toews and Kane are going nowhere. If you think the Hawks are going to move a contract your best bet is Hjalmarsson. He's set to make $4.1 million a year for the next five years and is not bogged down by a NTC or NMC. That would give the Hawks about $10 mil to fill a handful of roster spots and take care of their two RFA's if they chose to.

Toews and Kane are going nowhere. If you think the Hawks are going to move a contract your best bet is Hjalmarsson. He's set to make $4.1 million a year for the next five years and is not bogged down by a NTC or NMC. That would give the Hawks about $10 mil to fill a handful of roster spots and take care of their two RFA's if they chose to.

I completely agree, it's all on whether the play is for next year or longer term. Moving one of the forwards for top notch RFA talent frees up space and eliminates the UFA "walk risk". I'd put it at 90-10 that your scenario will be the choice.

Stan Bowman is a genius. If he chooses to trade Kane and keep Hossa around a few more years, and we don't understand why he did it, then we are clearly not geniuses. He built a cup winner, dismantled huge parts, and rebuilt a cup winner 3 years later around a core of like 4 guys. And if that is not enough proof that he is clearly the best GM of this generation and a front office wizard:

He graduated from Notre Dame.

I rest my case.

Why did you post anything else? :P

Currently we have 13 contracts committed to next season @ 36.9M

Tyler Ennis - offer 4 year 16M (3.5, 4.0, 4.0, 4.5) - 4M cap hit

Cory Conacher - offer 2 year 2.8M (1.3, 1.5) - 1.4M cap hit

Marcus Foligno - tough contract - offer 2 year 5.6M (2.6, 3.0) - cap hit 2.8M

that's 8.2M added or 16 contracts @ 45.1M

now we have 7 contracts and about 9M needed to be spent.

2/3 UFA's and the cap floor won't be a problem.

Konopka, D'Agostini, McBain can all walk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.