Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

Anyone who doesn't think there is more to this story is just completely blind. The timing alone SCREAMS there was a bombshell in there somewhere. Does anyone honestly think PLF would do this 4 days before the trade deadline? This was horrible timing at its finest....Think!

Yeah, but we're never going to get that story.

I didn't interpret the advice as "this is how you deal with *your* owner. I think the advice was "this is how you deal with *an* owner. He said he got the advice when he was offered the job, so it is not related to the PLF resignation.

Ohhhhh boy I mucked that one up. I somehow thought that Tim meant he was getting congratulatory calls on making a good trade. It made no sense — now I know why. Jeez Louise. Thanks weave.

People in the know have 4 different stories. It's not cut and dry. I just go off of history, character shown in the past, and concern.

The beef wasn't with Murray...PLF MIA days before trade and supposedly Nolan has extension offer.

If it is some outlier....you don't choose to have this happen NOW.

The spin coming from GR et al about Lafontaine being difficult and having concussions.....that is a John Kerry swift boat attack. Yes, Lafontaine did this before. He left after seeing Charles Wang operate who is pretty much slam dunk known as the worst owner in hockey. If anything, it shows brilliance and foresight...which with the concerns some of us have had here....and outlying this EXACT scenario given the addition of Battista and history of Pegula....it's a concern.

If Tim Murray and Craig Patrick stay, then it is much less of an issue. Murray can't leave now....Patrick, he's probably taking a nap before bridge club tonight. If he goes, it will be in the offseason to limit damages.

My heart was totally in supporting this team, and was excited about the trade deadline and making actual analysis of deals and possibilities. Now we are just back to typical 3 ring Buffalo Sabres circus.

LOVED the John Kerry swift boat attack

Don't tell them that they got drunk and had a bar fight, PLF kicked Sawyer in the nuts, and Pegula landed a beer bottle right on LaFontaine's crown, before Ted Nolan busted through the door and socked Terry right in the gut, making Tim Murray laugh so hard he had to give Nolan a contract.

IKnowPhysics wins the thread!

Ohhhhh boy I mucked that one up. I somehow thought that Tim meant he was getting congratulatory calls on making a good trade. It made no sense — now I know why. Jeez Louise. Thanks weave.

And that explains your response. No prob.

No surprise, I'm with Ghost on TM's unsolicited reference to the owner. Also curious that congratulatory calls to TM would reference advice on how to deal with the owner. It's just a hair short of confirmation for me that this whole brouhaha involved strife between Pat and Terry/Terry's advisors. Sometimes the obvious answer is served up on a plate, and TM did that, probably because he's so honest and doesn't measure his words that carefully.

No new president? SDS, you were right. They are making this up as they go. God help us.

Let's assume this is true, that this entire thing involved strife between TP/inner circle and PLF, which I'm also inclined to believe is absolutely the case here. Is it absolutely beyond the realm of possibility that PLF conducted himself in such a way as to necessitate his firing? That a pattern of behavior had emerged over the course of the last 100 days that his boss didn't agree with? And if so, does that make his boss wrong in the decision? Because the last thing TP does is fire people off the cuff; indeed, he tends to hang on to them too long in spite of reality.

GO SABRES!!!

GO SABRES!!!

Godd -- maybe you should do some twitter sleuthing and see if you can find any of his family members with triumphant/euphoric tweets about coming back home?

John Rigas - Tom Golisano - Terry Pegula

Tim Rigas - Larry Quinn - Ted Black

Doug Moss - Larry Quinn - Pat Lafontaine

If we are playing the Sesame Street game.....I know which one of these stands out......no sleuthing needed......

It isn't the lack of a president that bothers me per se — although I have argued for it and like the firewall it can represent between ownership and the GM. It's the idea of not having a president, then having one, then not having one. It shouldn't give anyone confidence that smart hockey people are running the show.

I think Murray and Patrick are the epitome of smart hockey people running the show.

GO SABRES!!!

Let's assume this is true, that this entire thing involved strife between TP/inner circle and PLF, which I'm also inclined to believe is absolutely the case here. Is it absolutely beyond the realm of possibility that PLF conducted himself in such a way as to necessitate his firing? That a pattern of behavior had emerged over the course of the last 100 days that his boss didn't agree with? And if so, does that make his boss wrong in the decision? Because the last thing TP does is fire people off the cuff; indeed, he tends to hang on to them too long in spite of reality.

GO SABRES!!!

Sure. It could have gotten so nasty that Pat could have well earned a demand to resign. But it wouldn't be an issue without ownership meddling, right?

I think Murray and Patrick are the epitome of smart hockey people running the show.

GO SABRES!!!

Hey, if they're truly running the show now, and the involvement of ownership is the obligatory heads-up when a major move is afoot/here are some checks to sign, great. I would be happy. Patrick is the key here. If he stays, breathe a sigh of relief. He doesn't need this gig at his age; Murray does.

I got no time to twist myself into knots for this one boys. It is what it is.

Pat doesn't want to be here any more, so he's not. Loved the guy, sad he's gone

Yes, this makes our front office look terrible. It will probably make it tougher to sign free agents this summer.

But I have no idea who to blame and I'll worry about the smoking gun when I see it.

Tim Murray looks like a guy I want in charge of the rebuild.

I'm just going to sit back sit back and watch what he does.

Edited by dudacek

Don't tell them that they got drunk and had a bar fight, PLF kicked Sawyer in the nuts, and Pegula landed a beer bottle right on LaFontaine's crown, before Ted Nolan busted through the door and socked Terry right in the gut, making Tim Murray laugh so hard he had to give Nolan a contract.

This is great, I picture him just kicking down a double door, standing they looking at what's happening, and just rushing over and punching TP right in the stomach.

Haven't had a signature on here yet, this seems like the perfect thing to fix that

I think this tweet well represents why I am concerned.

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 54m

1. If Pat LaFontaine willingly resigned to go back to NHL, why would Ted Nolan be so bummed about his friend and decline to talk contract?

That makes sense. John's good people. I kind of wish he would raise his voice above a whisper and ask questions like this to people in power.

Tim Murray looks like a guy I want in charge of the rebuild.

I'm just going to sit back sit back and watch what he does.

I agree with this. I'm looking forward to seeing what Tim is going to do this upcoming week. People talk about the picks but the good thing is with all these extra picks if Tim has someone he wants the extra ammo to make a deal with picks is greatly needed. I'm really looking to see Murray in action at the draft. I'm sure he has players that he has scouted numerous times already and will do almost whatever it takes to get them.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I really hope Tim Murray hasn't been distracted by all this and lost sight of the big picture.

Are you kidding? In the presser he seemed like he wanted to say, "Aren't you through yet? I've got stuff to do!" I don't think focus is his issue.

Sure. It could have gotten so nasty that Pat could have well earned a demand to resign. But it wouldn't be an issue without ownership meddling, right?

Hey, if they're truly running the show now, and the involvement of ownership is the obligatory heads-up when a major move is afoot/here are some checks to sign, great. I would be happy. Patrick is the key here. If he stays, breathe a sigh of relief. He doesn't need this gig at his age; Murray does.

It could also be an issue of PLF overstepping his bounds as well. That doesn't require meddling by ownership so much as intervention.

Agree about Patrick.

GO SABRES!!!

1. If Pat LaFontaine willingly resigned to go back to NHL, why would Ted Nolan be so bummed about his friend and decline to talk contract?

Because as long as buddy Patty is in the front office, he know's he's got someone pulling for him and doesn't worry about what the rest of the staff thinks; he knows Patty's got his back. Now Patty's gone and he has to seriously consider whether he can really trust GMTM and the rest. Nolan is all about relationships, I think, and it will bear on his decision to stay or go.

Because as long as buddy Patty is in the front office, he know's he's got someone pulling for him and doesn't worry about what the rest of the staff thinks; he knows Patty's got his back. Now Patty's gone and he has to seriously consider whether he can really trust GMTM and the rest. Nolan is all about relationships, I think, and it will bear on his decision to stay or go.

Well, I'm happy you have the inside scoop and I can rest easy. :P

For those of you saying that "It is what it is".....well, the Spidey Senses of Buffalonians say otherwise.....

There has been on average 300-800 people online the past 2 days. Even during the Miller/Ott pregame and trade it was only 500.

You just traded your "elite" franchise goalie of the past decade and your captain, yet there has been 1 total page of posts on those issues the past 2 days.

It's the City of No Illusions for a reason.....

If the Teddy is really the coach most of us think he is, why does he need Patty as cover ? Why not just let your performance speak for you ? If TP really cares about a Cup and Teddy produces toward that end, that should be enough. I think Teddy is more concerned at this point with the well being of his good friend.

Edited by gramps

I think their close friendship makes it more understandable why Nolan would be upset even if nothing major caused it. He was simply really looking forward to working with a good friend again and is upset it didn't work out. My take anyway (again, assuming there's not more to the story).

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Because Teddy knows full well Patty was fired. PLF didn't willingly do anything. He was schitcanned.

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.