Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

I don't think PLF has the makeup to be in the front office and have to make the tough decisions...its like he wants the job but only wants the good part not the bad part that comes with it...explains why it was reported that Pegula was furious at him for basically being MIA for 3 days and then bailing...not like he hasn't done this before

Edited by matter2003

Murray when asked "Are you comfortable being the GM here?"

The first thing he says is...."I am, I know that you ultimately have to answer to the owner...he's the one that writes the checks.."

He wasn't asked about the owner, or there was no inkling of anything having to do with the owner in the previous question....that came spur of the moment.

Think about it.....

You're barking up the wrong tree on this. I think you will be surprised what the end result of this is. I think Pegula has learned his lesson, and even this SNAFU, will make him a better owner in the end.

Remember, he's a newbie and the new members who joined yesterday are all with the Sabres organization, their purpose here is to steer the narrative in a Sabres-friendly fashion.

So of course, his stream worked. He's probably right at FNC. :ph34r:

I actually joined a month ago but haven't posted, I've been on The Stadium Wall for years, and I'm in Syracuse.

I don't think we'll ever get the full story, but at this point my interest is in what Murray's next move is.

The first thing he says is...."I am, I know that you ultimately have to answer to the owner...he's the one that writes the checks.."

He wasn't asked about the owner, or there was no inkling of anything having to do with the owner in the previous question....that came spur of the moment.

Think about it.....

When you think about it, it screams that PLF didn't listen to the owner and that is why he is gone.

Think about it.....

He also said that many GM's called him to congratulate and offered that as their advice as well.

Edited by weave

Nope....Lafontaine was supposedly MIA since Tuesday. The Sabres had no story to run with yesterday after 6 hours of national media, local, fan, alumni, and bishop speculation and bickering. If it was cut and dry, the Sabres would have had a media plan crafted by Wednesday and rolled out an orderly separation.

Look at the grumpiness and clumsiness of the press conference today.

Pat Lafontaine is tough to deal with.....after all you knew was Darcy Regier.......

Save yourself the time and trouble. Patty's gone. I'm over it. And I don't need to find a villain here. I'm only concerned about where this team is going moving forward. I'll leave it to you guys to read all the tea leaves and predict the future.

GO SABRES!!!

You're barking up the wrong tree on this. I think you will be surprised what the end result of this is. I think Pegula has learned his lesson, and even this SNAFU, will make him a better owner in the end.

Murray offered that as the first thing off the top of his head. That is psych 201....he's an honest dude...it's weighing on him.

So the story is that Lafontaine missed his 120K a year job in NYC after he moved the family and committed the high school kid for 4 years....even though he makes more in interest per year on his net worth and can make the same amount from that job in 6 public speaking engagements?

Murray offered that as the first thing off the top of his head. That is psych 201....he's an honest dude...it's weighing on him.

######. You left out the convenient comment he made that the GM's that congratulated him reminded him that he answers to the owner.

Think about it.....

The first part of the question was along the lines of "are you comfortable with the management structure". Seems like a fully appropriate answer by Murray.

He also said that many GM's called him to congratulate and offered that as their advice as well.

The owner had nothing to do with the question or any previous one.

"Are you comfortable being the GM here?"

Great answer?..."I'm in my glory. It was always a dream of mine. I love scouting and finding players, and it's been great getting to know the guys here on the team and staff. This trade deadline stuff makes for no sleep....but yes....love it."

So the story is that Lafontaine missed his 120K a year job in NYC after he moved the family and committed the high school kid for 4 years....even though he makes more in interest per year on his net worth and can make the same amount from that job in 6 public speaking engagements?

Patty's motivation for leaving concerns me. The silly idea that TM is concerned about a meddling owner doesn't.

Great answer?..."I'm in my glory. It was always a dream of mine. I love scouting and finding players, and it's been great getting to know the guys here on the team and staff. This trade deadline stuff makes for no sleep....but yes....love it."

It was a leading question. He read it and answered where the lead in was going. end of story.

Typing as I listen to the presser

Black - "I found out a few days ago" - so it doesn't sound like the trade itself has precipitated this - if Black is to believe, it's been in the works for a while.

Black trying to minimize PLF's impact - I think PLF accomplished more positives for the team in 3 months than Black has in 10 years and counting (Murray, Patrick, Nolan, etc). Can anyone point to a 'signature' Black contribution?

PLF's departure has zero to do with Ted's status since the offer to Nolan was already out there.

Murray doesn't seem constrained by "The Inner Circle" which is good, although it sounds like things are vetted "by committee".

Murray said that PLF was ok with the trades - so that eliminates another rumor - that PLF had some sort of concussion induced "episode" over Miller's departure - LOL

Murray asked Battista to convey the trade news because he was tying up loose ends on the phone.

No intention to continue the position of President of Hockey Operations.

Black - Terry P. is disappointed by Pat's departure

After listening to this, I am inclined to think this; PLF played a linchpin role in getting the Sabres on track for the future with the hiring of the GM, coach, and other crucial tasks. Maybe he felt his job was done, and just didn't like the job at that point?

Obviously, since he's going back to the NHL, I would say this has been in the works for a couple weeks. But... it shows a certain ineptness on the part of the Sabres in communicating his departure. Of course, maybe the Sabres felt it might hurt the trade talks somehow to reveal it before the Miller/Ott deal was finalized?.

And again, that's if you believe Black's statements as factual. I want to believe them, and PLF has said he wanted to leave so.... maybe that's ALL there is to it? But poor handling by Sabres' press dept turned it into a debacle?

Patty's motivation for leaving concerns me. The silly idea that TM is concerned about a meddling owner doesn't.

It was a leading question. He read it and answered where the lead in was going. end of story.

Sounded to me like, well, Pat's gone, and my real boss is still here, and nothing else.

Since when are you demanding puff piece answers out of GMs at Sabres press conferences that don't really answer the context or subtext of the question?

i really like TM. continue to like him more and more.

so what is still odd, pegulas daughters tweet yesterday " suckiest bunch of sucks that ever sucked" or whatever it was. wasnt that just freakin weird?

anyways, murray is in a good spot with TP, nolan is being asked to stay (even though he looked horrible in his press conference). lets get back to the task at hand, trade trade trade!

Black - "I found out a few days ago" - so it doesn't sound like the trade itself has precipitated this - if Black is to believe, it's been in the works for a while.

Black trying to minimize PLF's impact - I think PLF accomplished more positives for the team in 3 months than Black has in 10 years and counting (Murray, Patrick, Nolan, etc). Can anyone point to a 'signature' Black contribution?

PLF's departure has zero to do with Ted's status since the offer to Nolan was already out there.

Murray doesn't seem constrained by "The Inner Circle" which is good, although it sounds like things are vetted "by committee".

Murray said that PLF was ok with the trades - so that eliminates another rumor - that PLF had some sort of concussion induced "episode" over Miller's departure - LOL

Murray asked Battista to convey the trade news because he was tying up loose ends on the phone.

After listening to this, I am inclined to think this; PLF played a linchpin role in getting the Sabres on track for the future with the hiring of the GM, coach, and other crucial tasks. Maybe he felt his job was done, and just didn't like the job at that point?

Obviously, since he's going back to the NHL, I would say this has been in the works for a couple weeks. But... it shows a certain ineptness on the part of the Sabres in communicating his departure. Of course, maybe the Sabres felt it might hurt the trade talks somehow to reveal it before the Miller/Ott deal was finalized?.

And again, that's if you believe Black's statements as factual. I want to believe them, and PLF has said he wanted to leave so.... maybe that's ALL there is to it? But poor handling by Sabres' press dept turned it into a debacle?

That's what I'm seeing too--the guy just doesn't have a role to play. But, why this week? And why not leave more gracefully than this? That's what bugs me about my own thoughts.

Either both of theses guys are lying through their teeth, which I wouldn't expect of Tim Murray's straightforwardness, or there really is no story here. LaFontaine wanted to go back to NY and work for the league, and surprised everyone when he resigned.

I think the reporters started a twatterfire for pretty much nothing.

There is no story and this needs to die already.

The Buffalo News clowns need to follow in PLF's footsteps and resign. They are an embarrassment to journalism.

I'm not concerned about Tim Murray.....his response given the uncertainty of the situation sheds light on THIS situation.

It's like when your parents get home from vacation and left the kids alone for 5 days. They walk in the door and ask,

"How is everything kids, did you miss us?"

And the first thing the kid says is..."Yeah, and we didn't have friends over or drink out of your liquor cabinet or nothin'!"

It all sounds plausible, until you think about the timing of it. That's the part that is hard to square. Sooner or later, Patty is going to need to explain this.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.