Shake up in the office PAT LaFONTAINE RESIGNS

Jeanbe

that TN presser didn't help me feel any warmer or fuzzier about this mess. I got the feeling he's not sure he wants to accept a contract offer.

WTF is going on?

I think Nolan will let the rest of the season play out and see how his relationship with Murray develops before making a decision.

Gibby's got a lot of prep to do.

I didn't quite understand what this meant until I just watched the last episode of Beyond Blue and Gold. I now get it that one of Gilbert's functions is to prepare the front office guys before holding a press conference. Practice questions, etc. Make sure that the guys speaking are well prepped for their statements and possible questions. I didn't have a good sense of the behind the scenes PR stuff until that little clip.

He's got a lot of prep to do today.

IE, Do tell them what a good job PLF did. Don't tell them that they got drunk and had a bar fight, PLF kicked Sawyer in the nuts, and Pegula landed a beer bottle right on LaFontaine's crown, before Ted Nolan busted through the door and socked Terry right in the gut, making Tim Murray laugh so hard he had to give Nolan a contract.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

The idea (upthread) that this was a contemplated departure is farcical. Something, or some things, happened and PLF quit as a result of it/them.

I don't think PLF quit at all. I think he was fired. And I also think it was not without cause. And I certainly don't think this was about one singular event, but rather a pattern of events that established itself soon after he came aboard.

GO SABRES!!!

Watched Nolans presser and no question he's emotional and alludes to something big that happened. We all know something happened obviously but the way he states it almost sounds like someone close was diagnosed with a bad illness ( an analogy ) whether thats because his good friend resigned or just the circumstances surrounding it that rattled him, who knows. Methinks he's rethinking his desire to be employed with people that would operate in this manner.

On a side note can't they employ somebody to operate a boom mike so we can hear the damn questions being asked ?

That's part of Teddy's makeup; wearing his heart squarely on his sleeve. Once the emotion of the events ebbs, I don't think he'll have any trouble accepting his extension. I appreciate his loyalty to PLF, but my guess is that his loyalty to his players trumps that.

GO SABRES!!!

That's part of Teddy's makeup; wearing his heart squarely on his sleeve. Once the emotion of the events ebbs, I don't think he'll have any trouble accepting his extension. I appreciate his loyalty to PLF, but my guess is that his loyalty to his players trumps that.

GO SABRES!!!

I hope so.

I think Nolan will let the rest of the season play out and see how his relationship with Murray develops before making a decision.

That would be the smart thing to do. It would also be smart of Murray to put a term on the offer though. He doesn't need to be in coaching limbo waiting for Nolan to make a decision. But I think Nolan's gonna end up taking it.

GO SABRES!!!

I firmly believe that Pat Lafontaine is the type of person who would not leave at such a crucial time as a few days before the trade deadline when your team is about to have as big of a makeover as it has since 1970. He just wouldn't do that. He would go and take a vacation to a secluded desert island for a week and the press release would have come out March 6th. That is what is so concerning here. I think even a scumbag would have the couth to wait a week.

I want to hear from everyone. It's not fair to assume guilt either on the Sabres or Lafontaine. It may be in the best interests of everyone in the long term, but the timing just rekindles every feeling of distrust, cronyism, dysfunction, and politics that has hung over this franchise for far too long. I was just getting comfortable with the idea of being a giddy fan again, and then reality strikes. I got a call last night from a personal situation that is fairly big which mimicked my feelings about the Sabres. Always go with your gut....think it out, but go with your gut....

I firmly believe that Pat Lafontaine is the type of person who would not leave at such a crucial time as a few days before the trade deadline when your team is about to have as big of a makeover as it has since 1970. He just wouldn't do that. He would go and take a vacation to a secluded desert island for a week and the press release would have come out March 6th. That is what is so concerning here. I think even a scumbag would have the couth to wait a week.

I totally agree with this, with the key phrase being "type of person." From the persona he creates, there is no way he would do this in this manner if it were simply being pissed over a trade or even Nolan. There is no way he would do this now if he quit over a power struggle with the inner circle.

That is why the only thing that makes logical sense to me is that he is not that type of person, and he was fired for something relatively intolerable when everyone started yelling at each other. Even the evil inner circle, especially guys like Ted Black, are very concerned over appearances. If they were going to just fire him for whatever reason, they wouldn't do it now. It was ugly, and Pat didn't like it. The fact it happened when it did makes me think he wasn't the good guy in this. That's just conjecture of course.

Ultimately, however, if Patrick, Murray, and Nolan stay on, Patty did a great job and there really wasn't much else for him to do. If they fail, he was the one that hired them all.

I'm waiting onlne for this. Should be a classic exercise in evasive answers and maneuvers.

I'm guessing Murray will not reveal details so much as outline where they, or he, will be taking the team from here.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.