Leino needs to go!

Wyldnwoody44

Just think about some of the Sabres from the past that came back and got booed (that did not deserve it). When Leino makes it back for his first game as a visitor.....yikes. Worst signing in Buffalo Sports history......

I don't see him playing in N America next year. I think he will be back in Finland.

Mike Harrington@BNHarrington 4m

Several updates on #Sabres/Leino post, including @capgeek saying it will be 6th-largest buyout in NHL history. http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/2014/06/leino-put-on-waivers-as-first-step-to-compliance-buyout.html

The Sabres signed Leino to a six-year, $27 million deal on July 1, 2011 and it will cost them $7.333 million to get out of the final three years. The contract rates as one of the worst free agent deals in NHL history, and sits in the annals of Buffalo sports ignominy alongside the $49 million the Bills gave offensive lineman Derrick Dockery in 2007.

Per Cap Geek, Sabres now have league's lowest payroll.

Sabres will have lowest cap payroll in the league following Leino buyout — just $34.4M for 15 players. Can spend $4.585M per opening.

#Sabres 30th-ranked cap payroll of $34.4M is actually $4.6M lower than the 29th-ranked #Flames. No other team below $40M right now.

4.5 million per opening. Wow. No reason not to sign Callahan if he wants to come.

Exactly. When you run the numbers on CapGeek (they have a "virtual GM" page that is fun to play around with), we absolutely have to sign one, preferably two or three, high priced free agents just to make it to the cap floor. Tossing big offers at Callahan, Moulson, Stempniak, and/or others is necessary just to hit the floor.

A lot of 3rd & 4th liners are going to be making a lot of money with the Sabres.

For sure. Another option we have is to trade for an expensive player that another team needs to get rid of to cut payroll. The problem is everyone now has no trade or no movement clauses built into their contracts.

i know this is the last summer we could get the 'break' on the buyout but I wouldn't have minded keeping him and paying him a boatload to do nothing again... and then waive him next summer. In the long run I guess that would cost us more money but at least we'd be a few million more closer to the cap floor and definitely not get any better to get a better chance at McDavid. haha

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.