Enroth as a number 1

CallawaySabres

Is that Enroth's hopes deflating that I hear?

Possibly. Murray could easily justify shipping him out too this Summer based on his record this year. I'd like to give him a shot as the no.1 just to satisfy my curiosity. If he's a total disaster, next year is pretty much the perfect time to have a disastrous season anyway. And if he's good, that would be fun to watch too after seeing him struggle for a couple years.

Breaking: Tim Murray is not Robviously :P

#CONFIRMED

We're both grumpy as f### though.

Plenty of good goalies over the past 20 years who were way under 6 feet tall. Only now has it become an issue because the reality of RM leaving is real. What's next to pick on the guy about? The height thing is really kind of non issue. If it was JE would not have ever made it to the NHL let alone play in 73 games so far.

Plenty of good goalies over the past 20 years who were way under 6 feet tall. Only now has it become an issue because the reality of RM leaving is real. What's next to pick on the guy about? The height thing is really kind of non issue. If it was JE would not have ever made it to the NHL let alone play in 73 games so far.

What prompted you to set the bar at 6'?

The height thing REALLY is a non-issue. Can we get over that and look at his positioning problems, record, rebounds, the way the team has to play differently in front of him, or something else? Please?

Good call. Enroth seems to move a lot in the net, which when there's a rebound (not very rare) he often seems to be out of position. With more film, it looks to me like it'll be something teams start to pick up on. I think he's moving around a lot to cover the net because he's short. :)

I guess what I'm getting at is, why would GMs prefer goalies that average around 6' in height?

I would guess that it has something to do with the net height of 4ft. Maybe they assume when you drop down into butterfly at 6' you lose 2' of height so you effectively are still covering the entire top of the net still?

Unless there are an inordinate amount of pucks going into the net above a goaltender's head when down in the butterfly, I'm going to guess that the reason goaltenders are around that height isn't necessarily because GM's prefer them, but because of the bell curve of goaltenders heights. Somebody as short an Enroth is as common as Jacob Markstrom is tall.

Unless there are an inordinate amount of pucks going into the net above a goaltender's head when down in the butterfly, I'm going to guess that the reason goaltenders are around that height isn't necessarily because GM's prefer them, but because of the bell curve of goaltenders heights. Somebody as short an Enroth is as common as Jacob Markstrom is tall.

Yes. 4 inches either way from 6' is 5'8" to 6'4". I don't know but I'm guessing about 98% of the NHL falls between those heights. There are exceptions, Gerbe, St Louis, Gionta, John Scott, Myers, Chara, Bishop etc. That's why I used 6', no rhyme or reason just thought it was middle of the road as far as height goes.

Edited by BocceBall

Yes. 4 inches either way from 6' is 5'8" to 6'4". I don't know but I'm guessing about 98% of the NHL falls between those heights. There are exceptions, Gerbe, St Louis, Gionta, John Scott, Myers, Chara, Bishop etc. That's why I used 6', no rhyme or reason just thought it was middle of the road as far as height goes.

You guessed 98% of the NHL falls in between those heights but named seven players with an added etc. Seven players is over one percent of the players in the league.

But you're right. I just found that slightly funny.

Edited by Tankalicious

I really don't give a ###### how tall or short Jhonas Enroth is. I care that he doesn't always square up to shots, his rebounds are questionable and I think he relies more on reflexes than positioning. Can he be #1? Idk, but I am about to find out.

this is the point that I am at. I'm getting sick of this argument. yes, he is short, but he also is lacking in a ton of other depts. like you said. He isn't always square, he gives up terrible rebounds, and it always seems like he drops into the butterfly WAY to quickly.

Just watching him, and neglecting the stats, I get a lot more worried when he is net because of the way he plays. He makes a lot of good saves, but he also gives up just as many soft goals as Miller does. The team is not nearly as relaxed in front of him, and it shows on some of the defensive penalties they take. I don't know what he will do with the #1 duties, but we are more than likely about to find out. It does worry me though.

You guessed 98% of the NHL falls in between those heights but named seven players with an added etc. Seven players is over one percent of the players in the league.

But you're right. I just found that slightly funny.

Yeah, I don't know how many players are in the league. I could figure it out it's not hard, I just kinda estimated though.

In 2010, the average goaltender height was 6'2". The average in 2000 was 6'. In 2010, 84% of goaltenders were taller than the 6' average in 2000. I don't think the average height of goaltenders has gone down since 2010, but somebody can be less lazy than I am and do the math rather than a quick Google search :P

http://ingoalmag.com/general/nhl-goalies-have-grown-a-lot-over-the-last-decade/

I guess what I'm getting at is, why would GMs prefer goalies that average around 6' in height?

Ahh, I see where I went wrong. I assumed this thread had devolved into a measuring contest and that you were just throwing out a number. I did some research though and that 6" thing is apparently a phallusy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.