Enroth as a number 1

CallawaySabres

Here's a glob of absolutely nothing....

I was watching Braveheart the other night and I noticed the guy who played Robert the Bruce in that looks almost exactly like Jhonas Enroth. And I guess Miller sorta looks like William Wallace because he has long hair and is clean-shaven (somehow the only clean-shaven guy in Scotland in 1306, I noticed).

995BVH_Mel_Gibson_085.jpg

So maybe the resolution to this thing is Miller suffers a horrible, gruesome end but Enroth finally gets it together and becomes the no.1. And defeats the English.

"You've bled with Miller. Now bleed with me!!"

They need to lift up their skirts and show us their balls now.

I think it's very unfair to say Jhonas, who has worked hard his whole life to become as good as he can possibly be, to say he is too small, he's really not that short. Wasn't he drafted by the sabres in like 06>?

He's been learning from Ryan the whole time.

Would you say Nathan Gerbe is too short?

I wouldn't wanna run Enroth outta town just yet.

In the event of that,

Be prepared to be careful of what you may have wished for.

Edited by BuffaloBorn

I think it's very unfair to say Jhonas, who has worked hard his whole life to become as good as he can possibly be, to say he is too small, he's really not that short. Wasn't he drafted by the sabres in like 06>?

In the event of that,

Yes. I think the issue with Enroth is two-fold:

1. His lack of height is not a disadvantage per-se but it is certainly not an advantage. It means he has less room for error when he drops down into the butterfly style. If Rinne goes down early there is still barely any room between his shoulder and the crossbar because he is 6'5' or something. Enroth is 7 inches shorter. When he drops down there is a noticeable gap. This means the shooting player doesn't have to get off as precise a shot. It is also something that other players will start to target the more he plays. They will come up with moves to make him drop and open up that gap.
  2. His rebound control, whilst significantly better over the last few years, still concerns me. He gives up very juicy rebounds in the slot. It is the main noticeable difference between Ryan and Jonas' games. I notice when Ryan gives a bad rebound because he so rarely does it. His rebound control is fantastic. This problem is far more fixable than number 1, but it again is something that will be targeted.

These two problems combine to mean forwards have a good play if they shoot hard and low or high with a slower release. This isnt ideal.

Height isn't a disadvantage if you have to abilities to cover it up with stellar ability overall. Unfortunately, Enroth doesn't consistently show that he has that ability required to cover it up. So I would say, at this moment, that it's a disadvantage for him. I still think he deserves a shot at starting full-time. You never know what type of difference that will be for a guy mentally and physically.

In the event of that,

Having an okay goaltender is like having a pilot that is 99% successful.

Jhonas is okay.

I wouldn't wanna run Enroth outta town just yet

Matt Ellis could pot a few goals playing with Staal and Semin. Gerbe having success there has nothing to do with his height. Gerbe being unsuccessful in Buffalo had a lot to do with do height. 5'4" is the size of a child, and he was treated as such by opposing players.

Enroth at 5'10" is among the shortest netminders in the league. There is a reason for that.

Matt Ellis could pot a few goals playing with Staal and Semin. Gerbe having success there has nothing to do with his height. Gerbe being unsuccessful in Buffalo had a lot to do with do height. 5'4" is the size of a child, and he was treated as such by opposing players.

Enroth at 5'10" is among the shortest netminders in the league. There is a reason for that.

So playing with Staal and Semin makes the height disadvantage go away? Now he can't be pushed off the puck because of his child like size?

Maybe his lack of success (he wasn't unsuccessful here though, he was decent at times) was a lack of being able to play on lines with top talent caliber players in Buffalo?

Is his height a disadvantage? Of course it is when your playing with guys who are almost a foot taller then you and weigh much more then you, but its not something that can't be overcome if the talent is there. It is much easier for a forward or defencemen to overcome a size disadvantage and be successful over say a goaltender. Someone like Enroth has to have much more skill to over come a size disadvantage because his position requires being able to cover up an area which having additional size can help.

In the event of that,

Good post. The only problem is, if Enroth becomes the #1 goaltender, the Ryan Miller Fan Club will blame every single loss on his height regardless of circumstances. Even if his has certain strengths that are better than Miller.

Hasek was arguably the greatest goalie of all-time and was 5'11" tall.

Jhonas Enroth can never be a good NHL goalie because he's 5'10".

#Logic

Hasek was 6'0"; it is generous to call Jhonas 5'10".

Are you REALLY comparing the man with 'a slinky for a spine' to Sweden's backup goalie? :doh:

:wacko:

Do you REALLY want to make this argument?

Yes, I really want to make the argument that his height isn't the problem. Saying he can't do it because he's an inch or two shorter than some of the best of all-time is lazy.

I don't think magically making Enroth 3 inches taller overnight would make him an NHL stud.

If he's not going to make it, it'll be because of rebounds, positioning, shooters knowing his tendencies, his confidence, etc.

It *won't* be because of his height.

Edited by Robviously

Yes, I really want to make the argument that his height isn't the problem. Saying he can't do it because he's an inch or two shorter than some of the best of all-time is lazy.

I don't think magically making Enroth 3 inches taller overnight would make him an NHL stud.

If he's not going to make it, it'll be because of rebounds, positioning, shooters knowing his tendencies, his confidence, etc.

It *won't* be because of his height.

IF he were Miller's height AND maintained his reflexes, he would very likely be able to grow into a legit #1 in this league.

He isn't, and unfortunately he won't. He seems like a good kid, as long as he's a Sabre I will hope he'll be starting material, but I won't expect it. Height is not his only issue. But it's as silly to claim that height is not any issue as it is to claim it's his only issue.

And comparing him to Dom is even sillier IMHO.

Edited by Taro T

Good post. The only problem is, if Enroth becomes the #1 goaltender, the Ryan Miller Fan Club will blame every single loss on his height regardless of circumstances. Even if his has certain strengths that are better than Miller.

What are these certain strenghts that his has?

His reflexes are superior to Miller's. We all know that. Considering him and Miller have almost identical save percentages combined over the last three years, he must be doing something better than Miller if his size is hindering his performance in certain aspects.

Yeah, that's hilarious coming from somebody that uses 'innit' as if it were a real word.

His reflexes are superior to Miller's. We all know that. Considering him and Miller have almost identical save percentages combined over the last three years, he must be doing something better than Miller if his size is hindering his performance in certain aspects.

Yeah, that's hilarious coming from somebody that uses 'innit' as if it were a real word.

Most of what you said about Enroth's style is incorrect. He plays a much more straight butterfly style which relies more on positioning than Miller's hybrid style which incorporates more reflex saves. So while Miller may give up a soft goal because of bad positioning, Enroth's lack of reflexes/puck control lead to juicy rebounds and second opportunities that Miller doesn't give up.

My personal preference is towards Miller's hybrid style. I don't believe the pure butterfly has a place in the NHL.

Most of what you said about Enroth's style is incorrect. He plays a much more straight butterfly style which relies more on positioning than Miller's hybrid style which incorporates more reflex saves. So while Miller may give up a soft goal because of bad positioning, Enroth's lack of reflexes/puck control lead to juicy rebounds and second opportunities that Miller doesn't give up.

My personal preference is towards Miller's hybrid style. I don't believe the pure butterfly has a place in the NHL.

I didn't say anything about his style, I just said his reflexes are superior to Miller's.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.