• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

The Sabres are too early into the rebuild to tie up older veterans like Moulson to long term deals. They should be in no hurry to spend money. Save it for the right time and the right player.

How about building "with" Stewart. Stewart at 26-27 is a smarter move than Moulson at 30-31.

How about not building with a 15 goal scorer who floats? How about that? And no it is a ridiculously dumb move.

And giving a 5-6yr deal to Mouslon isn't building with him. Building is giving an 8year deal to Girgensons, thats creating a team centered around a guy. I'd rather pay a proven 30yr old than an unproven 27 yr old.

The were talking about his puck possession stats on WGR, among the worse in the league

Exactly the guy we should be giving money too.... :wallbash:

When it comes to Stewart, I get the feeling that he will be our big UFA bargaining piece at next year's trade deadline. The same goes with Stafford (sorry 11). We really don't have many guys that fit that role next year. Enroth is the only other UFA and he is more likely to not have all that much value at that point unless he really thrives next year.

If you are building around Stewart, you are doing it wrong.

He certainly wouldn't be the center piece. But if Nolan can get him to compete on a consistent basis, he can be an important cog in the wheel with his size and skill level.

@SportsnetSpec

Out of CGY, Hudler not out of play. Could help a lot of teams, esp CHI with Hossa hurt. Would love to move Wideman contract. Unlikely.

How about not building with a 15 goal scorer who floats? How about that? And no it is a ridiculously dumb move.

If the Sabres were going to give a 30 year old scorer a big contract the name on that contract should have been Vanek. Vanek remaining a Sabre made little sense and signing Moulson until he is 36-37 makes even less sense.

The Sabres are too early into the rebuild to tie up older veterans like Moulson to long term deals. They should be in no hurry to spend money. Save it for the right time and the right player.

How about building "with" Stewart. Stewart at 26-27 is a smarter move than Moulson at 30-31.

We are going to have to reach the cap floor somehow after trading away some players. We wont be competitive. This is the absolute rigjt time to sign moulson. Also building with stewart would be like building around stafford.

Bruins looking at D.. Billy Jaffe@BJaffe 49s

Bruins fans, Ehrhoff would be interesting move (if happens). Has very good first few strides & excellent shot. Been on bad BUF team & (cont)

Part of the Package should include Subban if Buffalo is going to deal Ehrhoff to the Bruins

And I would expect them to get a big return from Boston if your going to trade a good player signed long term to a division rival

He certainly wouldn't be the center piece. But if Nolan can get him to compete on a consistent basis, he can be an important cog in the wheel with his size and skill level.

@SportsnetSpec

Out of CGY, Hudler not out of play. Could help a lot of teams, esp CHI with Hossa hurt. Would love to move Wideman contract. Unlikely.

I am sorry but if I am not mistaken one of the biggest complaints about this team over the past 4-5 years has been its lack of guys who want to compete night in and night out. Now we are discussing Stewart as part of a new core even though is Puck Possession blows and his compete is a big part of that? Nope I am out on Stewart, guy is 15 goal scorer with a weak back check. He is 27 which means he is basically the player he will be.

If the Sabres were going to give a 30 year old scorer a big contract the name on that contract should have been Vanek. Vanek remaining a Sabre made little sense and signing Moulson until he is 36-37 makes even less sense.

And building around Stewart as a piece of new core is lunacy.

@SportsnetSpec

I think the problem a lot have fans have in their reasoning is that they are trying to fix the current roster. This Sabres team needs scoring so lets give a insane amount of money and term to 30 year old Moulson. When discussing moves you have to forget the current roster and look 3-4 years down the line. I like Stewart because he is a big guy who when motivated can be a physical force. He has his flaws which is why he was available to the Sabres. Ideally, when this team is ready to win Stewart is a 30 year old veteran to help guide he ship which is better than a 33-34 year score at the end of his run.

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger 15m

Told Ottawa is among the teams interested in Hemsky. Good look at his upside last night. Best on the ice for the Oilers #TSN #bardown.com

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 4m

Getting a sense remaining Kesler options for VAN are PIT or ANA or not trading him at the deadline. Fluid process, tho. Still time.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

We are going to have to reach the cap floor somehow after trading away some players. We wont be competitive. This is the absolute rigjt time to sign moulson. Also building with stewart would be like building around stafford.

You can reach the Cap floor without overpaying forwards whose contract you'll be looking to dump once this team is ready to win.

@SportsnetSpec

I agree with this. As I said yesterday, there are worse things than seeing if Nolan can work his magic with Stewart. There is no reason at all for TM to cave on Stewart.

GO SABRES!!!

I think the problem a lot have fans have in their reasoning is that they are trying to fix the current roster. This Sabres team needs scoring so lets give a insane amount of money and term to 30 year old Moulson. When discussing moves you have to forget the current roster and look 3-4 years down the line. I like Stewart because he is a big guy who when motivated can be a physical force. He has his flaws which is why he was available to the Sabres. Ideally, when this team is ready to win Stewart is a 30 year old veteran to help guide he ship which is better than a 33-34 year score at the end of his run.

I disagree with just about all of this.

I am looking 4 years down the road and Moulson at 5mil is fine on this team. Stewart has flaws but will be a good veteran? The guy has less compete than Stafford.

You can reach the Cap floor without overpaying forwards whose contract you'll be looking to dump once this team is ready to win.

You mean like Stewart? He is a 15 goal scorer, you can find those easier than 3 leaf clovers.

Just because people want to keep someone for the rebuild, DOESNT mean they are wanting to build around them. Maybe what we get in a trade for Stewart is less then what he is worth as a player for us for the next 3-5 years

maybe what we get in a trade for Moulson is worth less to us than what he would be as a player for the next 3-5 years.

I think I've arrived at the point where I'm fine with trading Ehrhoff for a good prospect/pick package. Bottom line is that I'd rather keep Myers than Ehrhoff, and they will need to make room, if not next year, then the year after, for Pysyk, Risto and Zadorov. That's 4 good-to-really good defensemen, plus potentially McNabb and McCabe. They've also still got Weber, whom I'm not as down on as many others, and there are always other vets floating around who can be picked up as needed to round out the squad.

Trading Ehrhoff now would be selling high, and the Sabres are pretty flush with good assets on D.

Let it rip, TM.

I disagree with just about all of this.

I am looking 4 years down the road and Moulson at 5mil is fine on this team. Stewart has flaws but will be a good veteran? The guy has less compete than Stafford.

You mean like Stewart? He is a 15 goal scorer, you can find those easier than 3 leaf clovers.

I don't consider Stewart a answer to all of the Sabres problems. He's one player they have that has a skill set and is at the age where keeping him around a few years makes sense. He's not a cornerstone, but he does have value if the Sabres can pull the consistency out of him. You hope professional pride kicks in with Stewart where he doesn't want to become that guy.

If Moulson was 26-27 I'd be with you. Right now I am in Logan's Run mode. I don't want to see any 30 year olds on this roster for a coupe of years unless they are simply short term roster filler.

Edited by deluca67