• Pittsburgh Penguins
    • Boston Bruins
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Washington Capitals
    • Tampa Bay Lightening
    • Toronto Maple Leafs
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Other

Assuming our remaining UFAs leave and nothing else, we're going to have to spend approximately $20MM just to reach the cap floor next season. If we trade Stewart, Stafford, and use a compliance buyout on Leino, we're going to have to spend about $32.6MM to get to the floor. Some (or several) mediocre player(s) is(are) going to be grossly overpaid by us in this scenario, and there's a good chance that happens on contract terms longer than one year. I'd rather keep Stewart for a year and offload him at next year's deadline than pay this year's Ville Leino $5MM per on a 3-5 year deal to help reach the floor. IMO insisting we offload Stewart NOW just because he likely isn't part of the long-term plan is, ironically, fairly short-sighted.

To be clear, I'm fine with moving Stewart...but keeping him around doesn't have to mean we're keeping him long term.

Calgary just called up Sam's brother Max Reinhart.

A Montreal reporter just said that Moulson would be a good fit there. And now we have to listen to ###### Pierre McGuire. I'm going back to sleep. For eternity.

Did they really just have Mark Mancari as a subtraction for us?

Please do

David Pagnotta @TheFourthPeriod

Still somewhat quiet on the Halak front... I suspect things will pick up in a couple hours on his front.

Oh, and good morning everybody.

It seems kind of stupid to spend too much time trying to sign a contract extension today. You either should've gotten it done before or you should wait until after deadline day.

Morning Tank.

Should be an interesting day

Calgary just called up Sam's brother Max Reinhart.

A Montreal reporter just said that Moulson would be a good fit there. And now we have to listen to ###### Pierre McGuire. I'm going back to sleep. For eternity.

McGuire trying to pronounce Jaromir Jagr without tripping over his own tongue was priceless.

Being sstingy with Halak has probably already blown up in our face.

And we should hang on to Stewart because even though we know one Drew Stafford on the team is bad, obviously two Drew Staffords is good. Like two wrongs making a right.

Do you think expecting more than a 4th for Halak is being stingy ?

Being sstingy with Halak has probably already blown up in our face.

And we should hang on to Stewart because even though we know one Drew Stafford on the team is bad, obviously two Drew Staffords is good. Like two wrongs making a right.

That may be the case. But price or no price, if the Wild think Bryzgalov is going to be remotely useful, then Chuck Fletcher is an idiot.

Deadspin@Deadspin 1m

Report: Mike Gillis may not be authorized to trade Ryan Kesler: http://deadsp.in/rnXX7eJ

MEDDLING OWNER ALERT! MEDDLING OWNER ALERT! CODE RED! PA REPORT TO THE SPECULATION THREAD IMMEDIATELY!

That may be the case. But price or no price, if the Wild think Bryzgalov is going to be remotely useful, then Chuck Fletcher is an idiot.

MEDDLING OWNER ALERT! MEDDLING OWNER ALERT! CODE RED! PA REPORT TO THE SPECULATION THREAD IMMEDIATELY!

Did this guy really just say "Ovie is 28, Backstrom is 26 so the window is closing on these guys in Washington?"

25% of 22 players seems to me to be close to 5 1/2 players. That, to me, means Enroth or Ennis also being talked about.

No, that'd mean that less players are being talked about. Not more.

EDIT: Don't make jokes with me. I haven't graduated college yet.

Edited by Tankalicious

Michael Russo @Russostrib

I'm hearing now Gaborik to #lakings is a done deal. Don't know for what

First trade of the day.

(Not good news for us as they takes one suitor off away for Moulson, the most serious one. Also likely means Murray is asking for the world).

Adam Proteau @Proteautype

Marian Gaborik to the Kings? *big red Family Feud X*

Anybody else surprised by Murray's estimate of 25% of the roster? Halak, Moulson, Tallinder, Ehrhoff, Stafford, Stewart, Myers is 30% of the roster. :P

Is there anyone else on the roster you would want?

First trade of the day.

(Not good news for us as they takes one suitor off away for Moulson, the most serious one. Also likely means Murray is asking for the world).

Interesting that they would add a RW when they're looking for LW scoring. I guess they think he, Brown, or Carter can effectively play the left.

First trade of the day.

If we weren't getting Toffoli (and I never thought we were), I wasn't intersted in completing a deal with the Kings anyway.