Hired: Tim Murray, GM and Craig Patrick, Advisor

That Aud Smell

Judging from Murray on Howard Simon, it sounds like he recognizes that next year's draft is the better draft. He's confident that our high pick will net us a good player this year, but notes that the quality drops off much faster than a good draft would, to the point where he's more concerned about the value of 3rd and 4th picks. At one point, in the context of draft picks and suffering, he stumbles over his words a little, admitting that he's looking for improvement but not lacking a high pick next year, struggling to not shout out "###### yeah, we're tanking next year too!"

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the 3rd and 4th rounds, not picks.

Good stuff. Thanks.

I found his comments on Miller interesting. To paraphrase, he said that if Miller came to him and asked for a 5-year extension, he'd be open to it, but OTOH, if a bunch of goalies got hurt and drove up Miller's trade value, he'd be open to trading him -- overall, the expected return in trade will be a major factor in the decision.

Have I missed them being in the playoffs consistently?

(Sorry -- couldn't resist).

Worth noting that their last 2 playoff series were vs huge-market opponents in Boston and Philly.

I meant playoffs that they were not participating, an even better gauge of their ratings superiority

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the 3rd and 4th rounds, not picks.

Definitely talking about 3rd and 4th round.

I meant playoffs that they were not participating, an even better gauge of their ratings superiority

OK -- so you mean TV ratings in WNY for hockey, right? My point was that TV ratings in the rest of the country for games involving the Sabres are nothing special -- i.e. there isn't a big nation-wide interest in the Sabres. So if we were really entertaining the possibility that the NHL would fix the lottery for the Sabres, which of course we are not, we'd need to keep in mind that there is no reason for the NHL to do so because the rest of the country doesn't give a crap about the Sabres.

I LOVE listening to this guy. And he clearly has a good relationship with the media. Listen to the way they talk like they're friends basically. Jabbing each other back and forth.

Anyways: 26, can you point out where it seems to indicate that? I don't really hear it.

I LOVE listening to this guy. And he clearly has a good relationship with the media. Listen to the way they talk like they're friends basically. Jabbing each other back and forth.

Anyways: 26, can you point out where it seems to indicate that? I don't really hear it.

It was MacLean who said he already knows who his AGM is gonna be but he'll let Murray announce it.

OK -- so you mean TV ratings in WNY for hockey, right? My point was that TV ratings in the rest of the country for games involving the Sabres are nothing special -- i.e. there isn't a big nation-wide interest in the Sabres. So if we were really entertaining the possibility that the NHL would fix the lottery for the Sabres, which of course we are not, we'd need to keep in mind that there is no reason for the NHL to do so because the rest of the country doesn't give a crap about the Sabres.

For the first time that I can remember, you and I are have a "disconnect." The original poster's point was that when it comes to TV ratings for nationally televised games, the WNY market share is usually in the top 5 and always in the top 10 whether Buffalo is playing or not. He deduced that the NHL would have a financial reason to take care of a market that was watching their games as much as WNY. The point I was making that was backed up by AUD was that while this is true as far as market share goes, most advertisers would rather have a smaller share in a bigger, more affluent market then have a 50% share in WNY.

The attached link is an indication of WNY's love of hockey

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/blackhawks-vs-bruins-stanley-cup-final-most-watched-232902128.html

It was MacLean who said he already knows who his AGM is gonna be but he'll let Murray announce it.

I would take MacLean as an assistant in a heartbeat. I know he didn't light the world on fire in some of his stints, but he has held pretty much every major NHL job and was pretty good in Florida. He is probably the perfect personality to keep things loose as well. The guy is gold in my book. I'm sure he isn't the asst., but people knock him for his media persona. He's about as cool a guy you can find.

Just had a random thought:

Will the credibility the Sabres have likely gained with the addition of Patty, TM, and CP have enough reach to influence the league offices in regards to suspensions for questionable hits given and recieved by Sabres?

Sounds like the Sabres are getting a new AGM:

http://pmd.fan590.com/audio_on_demand-3/Tim-Murray-with-Daren-Millard,-Scott-Morrison,-and-Doug-MacLean-hc-20140110-Interview.mp3

Tim Murray with Darren Millard, Scott Morrison, and Doug Maclean <9:14>

Thanks for posting this....it's great to hear Murray in his comfort zone. For as serious and curmudgeon as he makes himself out to be, it's probably more a "work focus"...because here he is loose and ball busting. Not only that...he can't tell a lie! For all the lawyer speak, and drawn out jibberish we've heard over the years, it's nice to see someone who says "Blammo!". Now...it may rub some of his own guys the wrong way, but that's where it's great to have a guy like Patty to play good cop. These guys are on the same page, but this thing is probably going to actually work.

I'm truly excited now after hearing this. We finally have some integrity transparency with all involved on the hockey side.

I would take MacLean as an assistant in a heartbeat. I know he didn't light the world on fire in some of his stints...

That's ###### insanity, and the biggest understatement I've ever read on this board, and maybe anywhere ever. There's no way I want MacLean here. Hell no. No way.

I've sounded off on MacLean several times, whom I think know ranks as one of the worst NHL general managers of all time, and I'd do it a hundred more times to prevent him coming. I'd boo him at the stadium to his face on his first day at work. He is ###### awful. He's so bad, I'd rather have a no-name be appointed, just for the potential hope of that person developing into an administrator that doesn't completely suck dick. Doug MacLean single-handedly kept an expansion franchise in the absolute shitbowl of the league for ten ###### years. He flawlessly ran the perfect model of horrendous drafting and ###### ideas. You want to ###### up a draft rebuild? Get rid of your well-drafting AGM and replace him with Doug MacLean. That'd be a perfect way to do it. And then all of that good karma the new GM just got by having the backing of Craig Patrick is flushed down the shitter because he was the idiot piss-ant GM that hired Doug MacLean.

Thanks for posting this....it's great to hear Murray in his comfort zone. For as serious and curmudgeon as he makes himself out to be, it's probably more a "work focus"...because here he is loose and ball busting. Not only that...he can't tell a lie! For all the lawyer speak, and drawn out jibberish we've heard over the years, it's nice to see someone who says "Blammo!". Now...it may rub some of his own guys the wrong way, but that's where it's great to have a guy like Patty to play good cop. These guys are on the same page, but this thing is probably going to actually work.

I'm truly excited now after hearing this. We finally have some integrity transparency with all involved on the hockey side.

Well this guy sounds totally different then the guy we saw and heard yesterday. I'm liking what I'm hearing from TM. He sounds confident in his ability and straightforward.

That's ###### insanity, and the biggest understatement I've ever read on this board, and maybe anywhere ever. There's no way I want MacLean here. Hell no. No way.

I've sounded off on MacLean several times, whom I think know ranks as one of the worst NHL general managers of all time, and I'd do it a hundred more times to prevent him coming. I'd boo him at the stadium to his face on his first day at work. He is ###### awful. He's so bad, I'd rather have a no-name be appointed, just for the potential hope of that person developing into an administrator that doesn't completely suck dick. Doug MacLean single-handedly kept an expansion franchise in the absolute shitbowl of the league for ten ###### years. He flawlessly ran the perfect model of horrendous drafting and ###### ideas. You want to ###### up a draft rebuild? Get rid of your well-drafting AGM and replace him with Doug MacLean. That'd be a perfect way to do it. And then all of that good karma the new GM just got by having the backing of Craig Patrick is flushed down the shitter because he was the idiot piss-ant GM that hired Doug MacLean.

I have to agree. He's a much better analyst than he was a G.M. He is a good interview and does have inside knowledge mostly because he is one of the good ol boys but imo we don't need him helping make hockey decisions for this team.

Wow...sounds a little personal there.....I have know idea why you would talk so harshly of anyone, let alone someone who has had zero to do with anything you are involved with.

Heck, I never came close to being so harsh against a weasel of a GM in Darcy Regier, who helped to hold my city's hockey franchise hostage for the better part of most posters' lives.....

Veddy Intaresting......

Boom Goes the Dynamite!

In listening....it sounds like he pretty much says, you get guys with hockey sense and who think the game, who have character...you're going to get possession. Again..it's about finding the qualities that drive the numbers. Anyone can spit out a spreadsheet....can you find me the guys ahead of time so that I can tell you what will be on that spreadsheet?

I like Murray's frankness. He says point blank he is not full of bubbles and sunshine, but at least he can communicate that to people. Interesting take on what he wants on defense. Mobility #1.

I found the mobility comment interesting as well. Looking at Karlson as his prototype, I wonder if our stable is to his taste. Could make for interesting horse trading.

I agree with this. I do think that the stuff Sizzle is referencing happens, but I think they'd help Florida before us.

That YouTube video is so undeniable. Such an embarrassment for that league.

Actually it makes more sense for the owners to help a devoted fan base because you get a return long after the help is gone. Fla, Phx, the fan base are outliers. Buf, Det, Boston it is a way of life. There is more low hanging fruit where hockey is a part of life. Hell la was struggling to sell the box seat packages for the outdoor game and they are two years removed from a parade.

I found the mobility comment interesting as well. Looking at Karlson as his prototype, I wonder if our stable is to his taste. Could make for interesting horse trading.

I have loved Ottawa's drafting the past few years. I think Karlsson is a once a decade type guy....I liked Ceci for the Sabres last year and absolutely thought Lazar was the biggest "can't miss" of the entire draft this year. I'm not one to salivate over offensive defensemen, so it is interesting that Murray was on the same guys I was.....that's why I hold back confusion. Ristolainen and Zadorov are puck movers too, but like Ceci they are 6'4"ish.....which can help in your own end.

It sounds like we will see some moves soon enough. At least it should be fun?!

Not one to watch much NBA, I was unaware of this controversy. The old bent corner on the card, that's some bush league ######. Hilarious.

It actually was not a bent corner...rumor has it that the card was placed in a freezer, so Stern would feel it easier.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/391941-nba-draft-the-biggest-lottery-conspiracies-ever/page/7

Did the NBA see to it that their next big thing landed in MSG? Did the gentleman who placed the envelopes in the hopper purposefully knock the Knick envelope against a metal bar to create a crease that Commissioner Stern could identify? Was the Knick envelope frozen making it cold to the touch, once again making it easy for Stern to choose correctly?

* I have thought a lot about this scenario, and the NHL helping their buddies Pegula and Lafontaine!(and now, Patrick.)

I do think that the NBA rigged that lottery and multiple lotteries. However, aren't both the NBA and NHL lotteries now done by a separate organization? You'd likely have to pay them billions to risk their reputation by rigging a lottery for you now. Or to not mention that it was rigged.

Well I mentioned at 12:35 today after listening to it on the radio that MacLean said the assistant GM would be a shocker and he knew who it was but wouldn't announce but it was an agent. I have no idea who this would be and as I stated earlier I couldn't tell if he was joking or not. I also laughed at the fact he's busting Tim's balls about not responding to his text with congrats and Tim says that's because a) I didn't want you to jinx it and b) you sent the text to Terry Murray!

Well I mentioned at 12:35 today after listening to it on the radio that MacLean said the assistant GM would be a shocker and he knew who it was but wouldn't announce but it was an agent. I have no idea who this would be and as I stated earlier I couldn't tell if he was joking or not. I also laughed at the fact he's busting Tim's balls about not responding to his text with congrats and Tim says that's because a) I didn't want you to jinx it and b) you sent the text to Terry Murray!

It must be Don Meehan or Pat Morris. Both are very close with Pat LaFontaine.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.