• Czech Republic
    • Slovakia
    • Finland
    • Austria
    • Norway
    • Latvia
    • Slovenia
    • Switzerland

Question is it the hockey that is breath taking during Olympics or the import of the result? Each of these games have great meaning as opposed to long NHL schedule where few compelling games happen during season. Just from a hockey play point of view, see the games at Olympics on large ice, as defensive games , where the great skills of players seldom appear, where during NHL second season, these the games where hockey is seen, trap better broken down ect. Its my view Olympic hockey in terms of import compelling, the game play itself crap.

Just my opinion,

That Canada/Finland was a game the coaches had to love: nothing but compete, and smart decision- making.

Also great evidence as to what's wrong with the big ice.

The puck was almost never between the dots. Small ice = more chances.

Interesting counterpoint to the NHL adopting international ice dimensions:

Dan Rosen@drosennhl 48m

Matt Duchene on the big ice: "This is why the NHL should never go to a big ice, it'll take the scoring out of the game."

Dan Rosen@drosennhl 47m

More Duchene on the big ice: "You're able to play way more defensive on the big ice. It makes for less offense."

In most sports, the smaller the playing surface is made, the more scoring you get. You're closer to scoring by default.

But the argument is always made that bigger ice makes for a more entertaining game. I don't buy it. If I made any change to the rink, I'd move the goalline back to 10' from the boards.

It seemed to me while watching that game that notwithstanding the conventional wisdom, the big ice actually favored the defense -- especially a smart, good-skating defense like Finland's. I was puzzling it out and arrived at something like Taro's theory above.

Agree w/ the bolded above.

The problem is, without calling the clutching and grabbing, you end up with a generally dull game with limited scoring chances even when played on the larger surface w/ the best players in the world. The Canada Finland game was not particularily entertaining, but it was played on the larger ice w/out any 'plugs.'

The bits I saw of the US Russia game WAS entertaining, but IMHO less so than the Blackhawks-B's final this last year.

I too thought the Canada-Finland game was a bit of a letdown, but the USA-Russia game was fantastic IMHO.

I've heard it before and it won't happen but if you want to open up the game get rid of the coaches. Yesterday coach talked of playing a patient game because of Finlands stifling style and the fact that the Finns were waiting for Canada to make a mistake so they could make them pay. In essence Canada with loads of offensive talent has to play down to their opponents level rather than opening the game up and dictating play. Defense seems to win championships so thats how the teams will play. Also the point about calling the holding etc. is spot on. I was surprised with all of the grabbing and holding by both sides in that game. It seems the refs are afraid to change the outcome.

That game was partcularly bad, and as coincidence would have it, once of the refs was Canadian.

I saw a ton of crosscheckings, blatant interferences at the blueline and slashings go uncalled as well but yesterdays game, IMHO, is not indicative of how the tournament has been called so far.

I didn't think it was a function of penalties not being called -- I just thought Finland's D was better than Canada's offense.

Now we know where Omark went.

Very nice.

The American women's hockey team is impressive - I watched the 3rd period of their game against Sweden tonight. They skate and pass better than the Sabres do, and they are focused on getting the puck down into the other team's zone. I'll bet their D could knock even Ville Leino himself off the puck

Edited by Jsixspd

if bigger ice gets rid of the Chara/Gill type of defense in the NHL I am all for it. I enjoy watching good defense being played (skating, body checking, stick checking, more skating). what I can't stand is the poor skating behemoths where the only role they play is to skate their little area and take up space. It was one of the reasons I was so high on Myers potential.

if bigger ice gets rid of the Chara/Gill type of defense in the NHL I am all for it. I enjoy watching good defense being played (skating, body checking, stick checking, more skating). what I can't stand is the poor skating behemoths where the only role they play is to skate their little area and take up space. It was one of the reasons I was so high on Myers potential.

While I'm not sure it's directly related to the bigger ice, Chara has been a complete non-factor so far.

The American women's hockey team is impressive - I watched the 3rd period of their game against Sweden tonight. They skate and pass better than the Sabres do, and they are focused on getting the puck down into the other team's zone. I'll bet their D could knock even Ville Leino himself off the puck

I bet *you* could knock the Tank commander off the puck :w00t:

Chara does not belong in this sentence. Comparing him to Hal Gill is like comparing Mark Messier to Andrew Peters.

Let's go Slovakia today! I know it was a 1-1 tie early in the second when the US played them, but the Americans went on to blow them out. In my opinion, the Czech Republic is better than Slovakia. Having a late round rematch for Canada and the US would be awesome. And you never know, if the US were to win, they could end up playing Russia in the Gold Medal game. That'd be a Hollywood script. I'm sure NBC would love that. I know I would.

Watching the Russia - Norway game.

My god, the Russians are an uninspired bunch.

Their PP for instance, consists of Ovechkin and Kovalchuk standing completely still waiting for a one-timer, while the three remaining Russians pass the puck around slower than the Sabres, only to be broken up by the inevitable Max-like pass attempt through the Norweigan box.

Read this from www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Halak-Bottom/6/58038 near the bottom is this description of Girgs.

"Buffalo Sabres 19 year-old rookie Zemgus Girgensons, who scored his first Olympic goal against King Hank Lundqvist in Saturday’s loss to Sweden, is capable of throwing his team on his back and fighting like a “Braveheart”. Zemgus will give the Swiss cold sweats because he never stops competing inside a shift. He fore checks like a hostile, hungry rottweiler chasing a mail man off his front porch."

So we got

Winner of Solvenia - Austria facing Sweden

Winner of Czech Republic - Slovakia facing the USA

Winner of Switzerland - Latvia facing Canada

and Winner of Russia - Norway facing Finland.

Ok, so we've got Sweden vs Slovenia

and Russia vs Finland in the quarters.

The important game for the US is coming up at 12 pm, to see whom we play tomorrow.

I bet *you* could knock the Tank commander off the puck :w00t:

:lol: I'd probably end up with a game misconduct too to end my exceedingly brief NHL career.

Still, the USA Women's Team impressed the heck out of me yesterday. I thought it would be like watching Women's pro basketball, which I avoid at any and all costs, but it was a very pleasant surprise.

Edited by Jsixspd

Watching the Russia - Norway game.

My god, the Russians are an uninspired bunch.

Their PP for instance, consists of Ovechkin and Kovalchuk standing completely still waiting for a one-timer, while the three remaining Russians pass the puck around slower than the Sabres, only to be broken up by the inevitable Max-like pass attempt through the Norweigan box.

They better be careful or they will all leave for the KHL.

Ok, so we've got Sweden vs Slovenia

and Russia vs Finland in the quarters.

The important game for the US is coming up at 12 pm, to see whom we play tomorrow.

:lol: I'd probably end up with a game misconduct too to end my exceedingly brief NHL career.

Still, the USA Women's Team impressed the heck out of me yesterday. I thought it would be like watching Women's pro basketball, which I avoid at any and all costs, but it was a very pleasant surprise.

From the looks of the stats, it almost sounds like the game was similar to a Globetrotters/Generals game. The US Goalie made 8 saves on 9 shots? Total?

From the looks of the stats, it almost sounds like the game was similar to a Globetrotters/Generals game. The US Goalie made 8 saves on 9 shots? Total?

Globetrotters / Generals is an apt analogy.

The goalie will clearly choke next game because she couldn't concentrate for a full 60 and gave up a screened, possibly tipped goal off the far pipe on the 9th shot of the game in the final few minutes. :rolleyes:

Globetrotters / Generals is an apt analogy.

The goalie will clearly choke next game because she couldn't concentrate for a full 60 and gave up a screened, possibly tipped goal off the far pipe on the 9th shot of the game in the final few minutes. :rolleyes:

But her GAA is 1.0 for the game!

Read this from www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTHS-CORNER/Halak-Bottom/6/58038 near the bottom is this description of Girgs.

"Buffalo Sabres 19 year-old rookie Zemgus Girgensons, who scored his first Olympic goal against King Hank Lundqvist in Saturday’s loss to Sweden, is capable of throwing his team on his back and fighting like a “Braveheart”. Zemgus will give the Swiss cold sweats because he never stops competing inside a shift. He fore checks like a hostile, hungry rottweiler chasing a mail man off his front porch."

So Garth on hockeybuzz is actually Roby? Who woulda thought...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.