• Czech Republic
    • Slovakia
    • Finland
    • Austria
    • Norway
    • Latvia
    • Slovenia
    • Switzerland

"Intent to blow the whistle" is a horrible CYA rule so the officials can save face. Basically the officials could waive off any goal scored from a crease scrum because they could declare they 'intended' to blow the whistle - that's ridiculous. Makes me angry just thinking about it. It's a disgraceful rule.

Edited by Jsixspd

eteran Swedish defenceman Niklas Kronwall of the Detroit Red Wings believes that both teams can benefit from North American officials.

"We are used to having referees from USA and Canada in the NHL," said Kronwall. "We know their standards so I think it's easier for us too if the referees are from there."

Former Norris Trophy winner and Ottawa Senators standout Erik Karlsson agreed with his fellow blueliner.

"I think most referees over there [in the National Hockey League] are Canadian, too," said Karlsson. "They probably support Montreal or Toronto, but they don't make any difference there. I couldn't care less about what the referees do. As you saw yesterday, we had two power plays, Finland had a lot, and we still won the game. It's nothing we can control and neither can Canada.

the referee's where chosen by their experience and skill level not nationality. Was a time international hockey did otherwise and the game was adversely effected. These are professional referees, who would not be able to live down the same of doing nothing less than the best job they can possibly do. The comments otherwise flat out nonsense.

They couldn't find two Canadian refs for the bronze medal game (which, just as stupidly, had an American ref) and two non-Canadian ones for the gold medal game?

It's not about impropriety; it's about appearance.

They couldn't find two Canadian refs for the bronze medal game (which, just as stupidly, had an American ref) and two non-Canadian ones for the gold medal game?

There is no way a Euro ref doesn't call Crosby for playing that puck without his helmet on. It was 1-0 at that point. Wouldn't have mattered in the long run most likely, but it's about appearance.

"Intent to blow the whistle" is a horrible CYA rule so the officials can save face. Basically the officials could waive off any goal scored from a crease scrum because they could declare they 'intended' to blow the whistle - that's ridiculous. Makes me angry just thinking about it. It's a disgraceful rule.

I mean the refs have the whistles up to their mouths, so it takes what, microseconds to blow it... It's disgraceful.... The Nhl could be so much better than it is.... Maybe they'll figure it out one day.

There is no way a Euro ref doesn't call Crosby for playing that puck without his helmet on. It was 1-0 at that point. Wouldn't have mattered in the long run most likely, but it's about appearance.

you know maybe that is the point what European refs call and what North American ones call. If North American refs call Womens hockey game, just maybe the crap penalties on both sides that altered the game would not have been called. You want to talk appearance, look at the womens game, refs constantly in huddles trying to decide what to do badgered by both teams. Total incompetence. This is why when NHL players participate part of agreement is competent referees do the games. History of European - North American hockey littered with outrageous examples of officiating at is most biased, worst. Want to get along here, but you folks at times make it tough.

Edited by millbank

you know maybe that is the point what European refs call and what North American ones call. If North American refs call Womens hockey game, just maybe the crap penalties on both sides that altered the game would not have been called. You want to talk appearance, look at the womens game, refs constantly in huddles trying to decide what to do badgered by both teams. Total incompetence. This is why when NHL players participate part of agreement is competent referees do the games. History of European - North American hockey littered with outrageous examples of officiating at is most biased, worst. Want to get along here, but you folks at times make it tough.

There is no reason to be so upset. People were jumping on Forsberg for his comments and it would appear that they had some merit. That's a bad job by the Olympic committee, not on the Canadians.

But, for all the talk about whiny Americans, I'm pretty sure that not a single person here is going to complain about this women's gold medal game in twelve years.

[/gasoline on the fire]

Edited by SwampD

Even though it was a horrible call, the American women lost that game when they started sitting on their heels in the last 5 of regulation, and then gave up 2 goals in 2 minutes, allowing the Canadian team to suddenly control the game and the momentum. That same control and momentum carried into the overtime for the Canadians. That had zero to do with officiating.

Edited by Jsixspd

Even though it was a horrible call, the American women lost that game when they started sitting on their heels in the last 5 of regulation, and then gave up 2 goals in 2 minutes, allowing the Canadian team to suddenly control the game and the momentum. That same control and momentum carried into the overtime for the Canadians. That had zero to do with officiating.

This.

I don't know what they need to do to overcome this, I think the USA Womens is the more talented team but they are prone to choking and playing a different game near the end.

That's on the coaching too, you need to freeze the puck somewhere near the end and take a timeout and slow things down for them, reenforce the concept of trusting eachother and everyone doing their roles and playing hard and pinning it deep in the Canadian zone. It's not easy, but the best coaches know how to keep their heads and not get as caught up in the moment as their teams. Lord knows I've coached youngsters in several sports and even at that level I suck at staying calm and thinking clearly in tight matches.

This was my line of thinking. Why would you even want people talking about this in such a big tournament? It puts all the focus on the officials instead of on the game.

Oh oh.

Another possible Latvian hockey player may have doped. Could lead to team disqualification.

http://www.theglobea...rticle17164169/

Well that really sukcs. From a feel good story to this ? I feel bad for T.N. in all of this because this really had become the little train that could in my books. Giant killers are always held in high regard and now they get knocked back a notch.

Well that really sukcs. From a feel good story to this ? I feel bad for T.N. in all of this because this really had become the little train that could in my books. Giant killers are always held in high regard and now they get knocked back a notch.

What national program worth its salt can't mask a little drug test. Latvia is still learning.

Edited by X. Benedict

Reality is....it will be 4 years before the next process. For all I know, in 4 years Latvia, Belarus, Slovakia, the Czecs, and Russkies will all be on the same team. I'm glad they went with the story, and pretty sure we are in such a "reality" world that it won't matter come then.

Sorry...I meant 4 weeks.....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.