• Slovakia
    • Finland
    • Austria
    • Norway
    • Latvia
    • Slovenia
    • Switzerland

@BobRbrts

Okay, see Bobby Ryan's name way at the bottom of this list? Only Backes lower, and Backes will play role Ryan can't. http://www.extraskat...,133,40,468,383

Yeah, but that stat is only for the 2nd Tuesday of each month when it falls on a full moon and it is an afternoon game. :rolleyes: :angel:

That ESPN article was an incredibly interesting look at the way these teams are selected.

Yeah, it's like he was pencilled in as number one at the start and got hurt before anyone could pass him.

It will be interesting if he or Miller gets the nod come Sochi.

The love for Howard and Johnson despite their play this year and the mistrust of Ryan and Yandle were real eye-openers.

The coaching staff essentially put Oshie on the team and cemented the Yandle decision.

I just don't understand the love for Quick right now, and that's completely independent of injuries. He's been pretty average for two full seasons while playing on a fantastic possession team. I'm glad they didn't take Yandle, guy gets crazy sheltered minutes in Phoenix--their analysis of him was spot on IMO.

@BobRbrts

Okay, see Bobby Ryan's name way at the bottom of this list? Only Backes lower, and Backes will play role Ryan can't. http://www.extraskat...,133,40,468,383

Doesn't meant much to me because the performance deltas at the bottom of that list are infinitesimally small.

I just don't understand the love for Quick right now, and that's completely independent of injuries. He's been pretty average for two full seasons while playing on a fantastic possession team. I'm glad they didn't take Yandle, guy gets crazy sheltered minutes in Phoenix--their analysis of him was spot on IMO.

Doesn't meant much to me because the performance deltas at the bottom of that list are infinitesimally small.

I don't think Quick has been average. But I do think he shouldn't be given the number one spot. Miller is hands down the best American goalie right now.

I love the article....I also am a fan of the makeup of the team....not the most talented, but you would want to trade for almost every one of those guys as a balanced, character guy. Talent, schmalent.....give me guys who "understand" and are willing....

Can you imagine Darcy Regier in those meetings?!!! As it is, Poile is more of an administrator with Burke and Lombardi running the show.

At least Miller has experince of having a poor defense and overmatched centermen in front of him.

I cannot understand how Stepan made the team.

Orpik is the other question. The last think he needs is more ice.

I'd take Erik Johnson (Col) over Orpik. Johnson is a better skater, much better offensively, and is having a really good year. And, if they wanted a big hitter on the back end then why not Byfuglien?

Quick has been bad this year (.905 SV%), and I just watched Howard single-handed lose a game to the Preds the other night. His numbers are bad too. Bishop and Miller are clearly the two best American goaltenders so far this season.

...the must have put a lot of weight of past success and less weight on this year's numbers.

I'd take Erik Johnson (Col) over Orpik. Johnson is a better skater, much better offensively, and is having a really good year. And, if they wanted a big hitter on the back end then why not Byfuglien?

I'd take Jack Johnson over all three of them. Even if Jack is a little off this season.

Plus, Jack can keep the team fed with some delicious Banana Pancakes.

this team will do well to medal.

i agree with ghost's sentiment that at least the decision makers worked to build a team rather than a roster of all star americans.

even so: orpik? that one could really blow up in their faces. the guy's a warrior, yeah -- but he's older and slower now. he and martin could go from shutdown pair to 1 being a healthy scratch.

Edited by That Aud Smell

USA have not taken 2/5 top scorers and 2/4 top goal scorers. It is an interesting tactic at best. Their reasons for not taken Ryan are that he lacks intensity (Burke said he should have picked Jack Johnson in the draft over Burke. Okoposo and Pominville were never remotely considered because their game won't translate to the big ice apparently. Big Buff was considered a defensive liability so not chosen

Behind the scenes in choosing U.S. hockey team

Kevin Allen, USA TODAY Sports

During a Nov. 19 conference call, Team USA general manager David Poile told his selection committee that he had a dream about Jack Johnson not making the Olympic team.

"I'm announcing the roster and there is no Jack Johnson on the team and I'm thinking there must be a mistake," the Nashville Predators general manager said.

Poile's dream became Johnson's reality because the Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman was indeed not chosen for the team, announced at Wednesday's Winter Classic.

Excluding the 10-time U.S. national team member was one of a handful of agonizing decisions made by Poile and his selection committee, which included seven other NHL executives, four coaches and a USA Hockey official. USA TODAY Sports was allowed unprecedented access to the selection process, given the opportunity to view the constantly changing player rankings and hear player evaluations from August until the list was finalized last weekend.

Ryan Miller (if Yahoo fantasy hockey is correct) has the 6th highest sv% in the entire NHL for GT who have played 1,000minutes or more. Note Ben Scrivens will hit 1,000 minutes very soon dropping Miller to 7th.

1a) Ben Scrivens (946mins) .936%

1) Ben Bishop (1774mins) .935%

2) Josh Harding (1667mins) .933%

3) Tuukka Rask (1869mins) .932%

4) Jonathan Bernier (1650mins) .931%

5) Carey Price (1898mins) .930%

6) Ryan Miller (1674mins) .927%

The only American on that list higher is Ben Bishop I believe.

USA have not taken 2/5 top scorers and 2/4 top goal scorers. It is an interesting tactic at best. Their reasons for not taken Ryan are that he lacks intensity (Burke said he should have picked Jack Johnson in the draft over Burke. Okoposo and Pominville were never remotely considered because their game won't translate to the big ice apparently. Big Buff was considered a defensive liability so not chosen

Poor decisions. The US will not win a medal.

Canada

Russia

Sweden

USA will play Quick and Howard ...

Jimmy Howard only plays (1) if there are catastrophic injuries or (2) if the US is involved in a blowout, and the coach wants to give him the experience of playing the third period.

They didnt like his skating..... same as pommers. If anyone has played on Olympic ice you know just how much more room there is and the importance of mobility.

Pominville is faster than he looks (he's smooth, so he doesn't look like he's busting ass even when he's moving as fast as someone who isn't as smooth), and I suspect the same of Ryan, too.

Pominville is faster than he looks (he's smooth, so he doesn't look like he's busting ass even when he's moving as fast as someone who isn't as smooth), and I suspect the same of Ryan, too.

I would think Pominville would do well on big ice.

But I guess I wouldn't pick him for the team either.

I still don't think Miller deserves to be the third goalie. Howard shouldn't even be on the team.

I would think Pominville would do well on big ice.

But I guess I wouldn't pick him for the team either.

I still don't think Miller deserves to be the third goalie. Howard shouldn't even be on the team.

The goalies IMPO would be Miller, Quick, Bishop. It gives you the opportunity to bring Bishop to the show and if he can continue to play well he can be your guy in another 4 years and have some experience.

Well if the argument against Ryan is he "lacks intensity" then the same argument clearly applies to Pommer. He's not exactly going to go flying into the corners with reckless abandon... he's not the kind of guy who ends a game with a tooth missing or a black eye...

I can see that I'm clearly in the minority on this board in that I just don't think Pommer is nearly as good as others around here think he is. He puts up scoring numbers, yes. But IMHO he is the equivalent of an NBA spot up shooter. He doesn't create his own opportunities and without time and space he isn't very effective. And, if you want to play a hard forechecking game and want fowards who consistently win puck battles in the corners... that... ain't... Pommer.

The goalies IMPO would be Miller, Quick, Bishop. It gives you the opportunity to bring Bishop to the show and if he can continue to play well he can be your guy in another 4 years and have some experience.

Agreed. And I'm a Johnny Quick fan boy if there ever was one. I just don't think he's the guy this year. Goalies are always up and down, and right now he's down.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.