• Czech Republic
    • Slovakia
    • Finland
    • Austria
    • Norway
    • Latvia
    • Slovenia
    • Switzerland

I just want to go on record that Luongo as #1 for Canada if thats the case scares the shite out of me. Much rather Miller defects to Canada to take that role. :P

I just can't get the image of Luongo doing the breast stroke in his crease out of my mind. I have no confidence in him.

Luongo is brutal. They'd be better off starting Brodeur.

Oh, now he's motivated?

Maybe motivated to prove Burke wrong. I don't know. I thought Ryan was a pretty good player.

Burke has a way of putting his foot in his mouth.

This situation between Ryan and Burke is similar to the arbitration process where the team says you're crap and lists all your faults in an attempt to pay you less. Feelings get hurt but after signing the shiny new contract the player sucks it up and moves on. I'm sure Ryan will do the same. He's probably pissed the comments went public.

Maybe motivated to prove Burke wrong. I don't know. I thought Ryan was a pretty good player.

Burke has a way of putting his foot in his mouth.

This situation between Ryan and Burke is similar to the arbitration process where the team says you're crap and lists all your faults in an attempt to pay you less. Feelings get hurt but after signing the shiny new contract the player sucks it up and moves on. I'm sure Ryan will do the same. He's probably pissed the comments went public.

I'm sure that is what Team USA is really apologizing for. That commentary obviously wasn't meant for public consumption. We won't see that sort of access ever again.

The worst part about this whole thing is that apparently USA hockey isn't going to give reporters this kind of access again. Makes me sad that one tiny portion of it has ruined this for the future, because it was truly fantastic to read.

This is true and sad indeed. Just the kind of censorship world we live in today. We hear what they want us to hear. I thought Scott Burnside did a terrific job and I think it did more positive for the sport among the general public then negative.

This is true and sad indeed. Just the kind of censorship world we live in today. We hear what they want us to hear. I thought Scott Burnside did a terrific job and I think it did more positive for the sport among the general public then negative.

A little self-censorship goes a long way towards retaining a source and keeping avenues of communication open. We are all openly critical of Bucky Gleason and his lack of any reals news to report. There is a pretty good reason for his lack of real info. He has burned his bridges inside the organization. Burnside and the other guy (I forget his name) have effectively done the same here. They could have left out the most critical commentary on Ryan, Byfhoweveritspelledein, and Yandle and still would have had a compelling story to tell. And they may have gotten invited back in to do it again in the future. Now that likely won't happen. I love the frankness of that article, but it was obviously too revealing.

I would imagine that there is a fine balance between telling a compelling story and not revealing so much that the parties involved are embarrassed. USA Hockey may not have wanted Ryan on the team but I doubt they wanted him publicly shamed. I expect they want him open to the idea of playing for them in the future.

Analysis: Style over stats with Olympic goalies

VANCOUVER -- As roster deadlines for the 2014 Sochi Olympics approach, the spotlight often shines brightest on the potential goalies.

In a tournament with little margin for error, every goal, questionable or not, allowed by the candidates is replayed and critiqued, every losing streak broken down and analyzed.

But what about how each goaltender plays? Should that be as important as the results he posts as the Jan. 7 deadline for rosters to be submitted approaches?

Perhaps yes.

With the 2014 Sochi Olympics being contested on the larger international ice surface, the style a goaltender plays may affect his ability to adjust to the different angles and reads on short notice.

Simply put, goaltenders who play aggressively outside the top of the crease will have to make up more distance to recover if they are off with their reads. Goalies who play farther back inside the blue paint can correct mistakes with shorter, quicker movements and adjustments.

So when considering the depth charts for each country, it may also be worth taking a closer look at each goalie's depth in the crease.

A little self-censorship goes a long way towards retaining a source and keeping avenues of communication open. We are all openly critical of Bucky Gleason and his lack of any reals news to report. There is a pretty good reason for his lack of real info. He has burned his bridges inside the organization. Burnside and the other guy (I forget his name) have effectively done the same here. They could have left out the most critical commentary on Ryan, Byfhoweveritspelledein, and Yandle and still would have had a compelling story to tell. And they may have gotten invited back in to do it again in the future. Now that likely won't happen. I love the frankness of that article, but it was obviously too revealing.

I would imagine that there is a fine balance between telling a compelling story and not revealing so much that the parties involved are embarrassed. USA Hockey may not have wanted Ryan on the team but I doubt they wanted him publicly shamed. I expect they want him open to the idea of playing for them in the future.

I'm happy that the story was told. For all the debate here and namecalling over the years about grit vs. talent....some of the best execs and coaches in the game just showed you how they build a team. The frankness in describing some of these players is nothing that doesn't go around the league. Pominville wasn't even a consideration, and top scorers got stuffed down the ranks by guys who just play with some jam. While the Olympics aren't as much of a bloodbath as the NHL playoffs, the intensity level is 100%, with many international guys taking playing for their country much more seriously than an NHL team.

I think this is pretty spot on, but I still think USA Hockey is going to far by nixing any and all future reporters. They simply could demand some minimal editorial control in exchange for access.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I'm happy that the story was told. For all the debate here and namecalling over the years about grit vs. talent....some of the best execs and coaches in the game just showed you how they build a team. The frankness in describing some of these players is nothing that doesn't go around the league. Pominville wasn't even a consideration, and top scorers got stuffed down the ranks by guys who just play with some jam. While the Olympics aren't as much of a bloodbath as the NHL playoffs, the intensity level is 100%, with many international guys taking playing for their country much more seriously than an NHL team.

To be fair, you are happy with the story because it fits the opinion you held. Admittedly, I hold a similar opinion about how I want a team built.

Enjoy the story. It's frankness means you'll never read one like it again. A middle ground would have given us the story with enough detail to get the idea but not so much detail that we are shut out of the process next time.

To be fair, you are happy with the story because it fits the opinion you held. Admittedly, I hold a similar opinion about how I want a team built.

Enjoy the story. It's frankness means you'll never read one like it again. A middle ground would have given us the story with enough detail to get the idea but not so much detail that we are shut out of the process next time.

Reality is....it will be 4 years before the next process. For all I know, in 4 years Latvia, Belarus, Slovakia, the Czecs, and Russkies will all be on the same team. I'm glad they went with the story, and pretty sure we are in such a "reality" world that it won't matter come then.

Quick's save percentage stats for the past two seasons have been .909 and .902 respectively. and is injured. Not worthy of starting goal for USA IMO. Miller's stats for these past two seasons have been .927 and .915 respectively. Just judging by the numbers who do you think should get the starting job? Add in that Quick has been on one of the best defensive teams and Ryan Miller is on the worst team PERIOD.

This is exactly what Vogl wrote in today's News.

Gold - USA (Miller steals the show)

Silver - Russia (home turf is home turf)

Bronze - Sweden (Always a good showing from the Swede's)

Canada gets bounced this tourney!

This is not the world juniors, where Canada's best players are unavailable to them. This is the Olympics, saying Canada doesn't get gold is a leap, saying they miss the podium makes me question your sanity! Miller stole the show last year and that's why USA won silver

I haven't seen anywhere that said Howard was anything but the third

I believe it was on Monday, when they made the announcement that the US team would be named at the end of the Winter Classic game, there was a leak that said Howard was named as the 3rd, and it was already known that Miller and Quick were the top 2

I would say they are definitly the favorites going in, but their weakness is in net and it can cost them. Luo is looking like the starter, and even he didn't play great playing on his home ice the last time out in the olympics. Other Canadian goalies look like Price, Brodeur again, and Bernier. I say just for the nostalgia, bring Brodeur to be the #3 so he can have one more olympics before retiring

Wrong on so many levels my friend. First of all Loungo international record is 13-2-2 with a. 930sv%. Next up bernier is not a top 10 Canadian goalie and does have not a snowballs chance in hell of making this team, his not even a candidate. Loungo, price and mike smith will be Canada's goalies! While price has no International experience(excluding world juniors) we all know what he's capable of. Mike smith is 4-2 with a 940sv%. Maybe not the best goalies but certainly not the joke you made them out to be

I know that he played for the US, but he has dual citizenship and chose to play for them at the time. Was that a "once you decide you are committed for life" kinda thing?

Yes, once you play for a team at IIHF that's the team you have to play for all the time. Even if pominville could play for Canada he would not make the team

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.