• Czech Republic
    • Slovakia
    • Finland
    • Austria
    • Norway
    • Latvia
    • Slovenia
    • Switzerland

I think I read it's against the IOC rules to have words on the masks. "USA" might be exempted as it's just the name of the country he's competing for. The Miller family in front of the clock is Miller Time as you suggested.

Edit: (link) http://www.foxnews.c...tion-rendering/

That the clock is at 5:00 must mean Miller's an alcoholic who is going to drink these games away.

yeah, but thats not as much fun as speculating its something even deeper, didn't look hard enough to notice the 5 o'clock part, good catch

Yeah. It's just very... Ed Hardy meets Coney Island dude with a ponytail airbrushing cartoon characters on bedazzled denim jackets circa 1993. I really don't like it. D4rk can tell you, I sit around drooling on goalie masks just about daily. Seeing this last week is actually why I suddenly decided I have to learn how to airbrush- if that guy can make bank, darnit, I might as well try!

I actually don't mind Miller's current mask, of the buffalo... still not sure why there's purple in it, but compared to this, it's a masterpiece.

I think the clock on the back there is a reference to business time with his lady love. See how she's kind of in the middle? He thinks about her round the clock and when he goes from six to twelve, well...

I wonder what Quick and Howard's masks look like. I've seen some sneaks of Howard's, but not enough to really see it.

I like checking out the different masks too. Its funny, for someone who likes painted goalie masks, I have been searching around for a Hasek style mask to use for when I play in it

I like checking out the different masks too. Its funny, for someone who likes painted goalie masks, I have been searching around for a Hasek style mask to use for when I play in it

Nothing wrong with that! I kinda wonder about some of the goalies I play with (in beginner levels) who rock these super expensive painted masks. They're cool looking, but... Simple says a lot.

D4rk has a Hasek style birdcage mask. He wants me to paint it. I'll probably do it in acrylic and then clear coat it. He wants some kind of patriotic thing. Poor guy gets to be my guinea pig.

Yeah. It's just very... Ed Hardy meets Coney Island dude with a ponytail airbrushing cartoon characters on bedazzled denim jackets circa 1993. I really don't like it. D4rk can tell you, I sit around drooling on goalie masks just about daily. Seeing this last week is actually why I suddenly decided I have to learn how to airbrush- if that guy can make bank, darnit, I might as well try!

I actually don't mind Miller's current mask, of the buffalo... still not sure why there's purple in it, but compared to this, it's a masterpiece.

I think the clock on the back there is a reference to business time with his lady love. See how she's kind of in the middle? He thinks about her round the clock and when he goes from six to twelve, well...

I wonder what Quick and Howard's masks look like. I've seen some sneaks of Howard's, but not enough to really see it.

But on her other side from 12 to 6, there's the doggie. Things that make you go hmmm ...

I don't know whether this belongs in the Olympic Thread, the Politics thread or its own thread. But apparently Sochi is a massive f*cking disaster.

http://deadspin.com/..._types=og.likes

Almost every room is missing something: lightbulbs, TVs, lamps, chairs, curtains, wifi, heat, hot water. Shower curtains are a valuable piece of the future black market here. (One American photographer was simply told, "You will not get a shower curtain.")

[...]

In the Ekaterininsky Kvartal hotel, the elevator is broken and the stairway is unlit, with stairs of varying and unpredictable heights.

Outside the Chistya Prudy, there is a bag of concrete in a palm tree, leaking grey down the trunk. Inside, some of the electrical outlets are just plates screwed into drywall.

Sports Illustrated's Brian Cazeneuve had to clamber through a window to get out of his hotel on Tuesday morning, since the doors were all unexpectedly locked. Chris Stevenson of the Ottawa Sun was without electricity for the first day.

:unsure:

oh wow. This sounds like it will be the olympics from hell for the visiting olympian athletes. Hopefully security is better than the contractors :unsure:

I'd be getting the f*ck out of there right now if I were an athlete. A lot of them aren't even bringing their families due to safety concerns.

oh wow. This sounds like it will be the olympics from hell for the visiting olympian athletes. Hopefully security is better than the contractors :unsure:

I'd be genuinely terrified. The threat of someone blowing something up is creepy, but I'd be more worried about someone poisoning my food or the hotel just sliding into the sea or something. Construction "accidents"?

It's gonna be a bumpy ride. Go USA.

I'd be genuinely terrified. The threat of someone blowing something up is creepy, but I'd be more worried about someone poisoning my food or the hotel just sliding into the sea or something. Construction "accidents"?

It's gonna be a bumpy ride. Go USA.

absolutely

I'd be getting the f*ck out of there right now if I were an athlete. A lot of them aren't even bringing their families due to safety concerns.

no doubt. I wouldn't bring my family.

It's a virtual certainty that the Russian athletes will have comfortable, functioning living quarters while their opponents will not.

I've wondered this.

On a side note, I saw on ESPN that the snowboarding freestyle course had to be modified after several complaints from the athletes, and finally one breaking his collarbone (a Finnish athlete I believe that was thought to be a medal contender). brings up the question, why weren't the courses looked at prior to athletes to using the hills. Don;t they have to have inspections or anything like that? I thought the olympics were tightly governed?

absolutely

I've wondered this.

On a side note, I saw on ESPN that the snowboarding freestyle course had to be modified after several complaints from the athletes, and finally one breaking his collarbone (a Finnish athlete I believe that was thought to be a medal contender). brings up the question, why weren't the courses looked at prior to athletes to using the hills. Don;t they have to have inspections or anything like that? I thought the olympics were tightly governed?

The snowboard stuff isnt being modified, they built it larger because there will be melting. People get hurt snowboarding all the time its just if you are unlucky. Shawn White is riding with numerous injuries sustained over the last few months

Henrik Lundqvist is not bringing his family. He hedges around and says it's accommodations and security but you can tell security is his main issue. I can dig up the article if someone wants. It's somewhere up on r/hockey.

That is really unfortunate. I thought they were, too, especially with the IOC. I know there may be a lot of issue with Sochi being a subtropical beach resort town (read: warm temps) holding the winter Olympics, despite being near ski resorts in the mountains... I kinda figured the IOC would at least iron out any actual kinks that may interfere with sports/actual record breaking. I know most of what I've read about the amazing tons of corruption is rumor, but I wonder if there were any palms greased or it's just a case of woefully behind construction. I know Athens was very behind in prep for the Summer Olympics and they had it mostly together by opening day.

absolutely

I've wondered this.

lets not think this is just something new thats going on cause its Russia, remember the last winter games and the luger that died on that track before the games and they blamed it on the track being designed too fast so they had to make last minute changes to it?

lets not think this is just something new thats going on cause its Russia, remember the last winter games and the luger that died on that track before the games and they blamed it on the track being designed too fast so they had to make last minute changes to it?

I had actually forgotten about that.

Asked about the course, he said the takeoffs are built "kind of obnoxiously tall." One theory is they were overbuilt to compensate for melting, which could come if temperatures remain above freezing as they have this week.

I read on the ESPN ticker that they were going to modify the takeoffs, but I haven't seen it anywhere else. The above quote affirms F.J.'s comment though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.