Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

I'm not worried about Darcy drafting centers, I'm sure he'll be going for left wingers and a couple of D-men.

Devine and the scouts run who they pick. I think Darcy sits back and let's them do their job.

I will add this: Getting a mid-round (and potentially a lottery-eligible) 1st and a 2nd, and a guy who could fetch a first or perhaps a pair of seconds (a la Regehr?) from a playoff-bound team, is quite a haul for a pending UFA who's all but declared his intentions of playing in Minnesota next year.

Now, if only Regier could be trusted to build a team via the draft.

Devine and the scouts run who Buffalo picks. I believe Darcy lets them do their jobs.

Devine and the scouts run who they pick. I think Darcy sits back and let's them do their job.

Devine and the scouts run who Buffalo picks. I believe Darcy lets them do their jobs.

The who now? Who's job is it to envision, draft, recruit, and sign a team of players that is capable of winning the Cup? Devine's job? No. It's Darcy's job. Devine may be the #2, but Darcy's at the top of the hockey department -- these are his calls.

This just in: DR has traded Tyler Ennis and the entire 2014 draft for picks in 2017, 2018, and 2021.

Great value.

One thing I'd like to say though.. we're really quick to kill Darcy but he BETTER get his props in 5-10 years when our forwards consist of some combination of Hodgson, Foligno, Ennis, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Larsson, Flynn, Armia, Catenacci, Bailey, Compher, Hurley, Baptiste and our defense has Pysyk, Ehrhoff, McCabe, Risto, Nikita, Myers, McNabb

This is before we throw in the ridiculous amount of prospects we're getting the next 2 years and whoever of these guys we trade to bring in pieces that fit the mold of our team during this time, we got a lot to be excited about just not* right now.

You forgot Reinhart and McDavid.

GO SABRES!!!

Yeah, and the answers still still quite weak, and come across as "spin" by those defending Regier. There is no team in the NHL where the imprint of the GM is stronger upon it than the current Sabres.

You know who must be really depressed today? Ryan Miller - for the time being, he's still stuck here on this train wreck of Regier's.

Miller couldn't give two craps, he knows he is out of here soon. There is a reason you have basically seen zero emotion (win or loss) this year from him - he checked out mentally at the end of last season....

Well, if anything, this shows the Sabres have written off this season, and likely next as well. Also, no accountability for Regier for the absolutely dreadful product we're seeing out there right now.

Pegula is completley on board with this rebuild... so No Reiger is not being held accountable for this otherwise Pegula woulf of fired him bvefore the rebuild

This is a sad day in Sabres history. Vanek is one of the most talented Sabres of all-time and to have this team driven so far into the ground where trading a player like Vanek becomes a necessity is frustrating.

The return is OK, A year or two ago if you said Vanek would fetch only two draft picks and a pending UFA likely to be a rental I think fans would go nuts. Where the Sabres are now, you just have to hope that Vanek does not a positive effect on the islanders and those picks have maximum value.

I understand what you are trying to say, it just really doesn't make sense to me. A team that could possibly be looking to acquire picks isn't likely to move "young assets or youngish players in their prime that are capable of stepping in and contributing right away." Teams will do what most do and what the Sabres are doing, move veteran big ticket players in exchange for picks. Teams looking to rebuild usually don't start by selling assets with long range potential.

I'm with you on this. As much as I loved Vanek when he was here I'm not one to cheer for a former player when a Sabres pick is affected. This gives another reason to watch the season, hope the Isles tank to give us another lottery pick. It almost happened with Minny last year (came down to the last day of the season) so hopefully the Isles D/goaltending continues to crumble and we get 2 top 15 picks this year. I'd be less thrilled if this trade was made with the Penguins or Red Wings as I'm still not sure how great the Isles are.

I think this us a great trade for the Sabres. We got the same picks as the Pominville trade but instead of two prospects we got an accomplished NHL 30 goal scorer. If the Sabres feel they cannot resign Moulson they can probably trade him at the deadline for prospects or picks.

I think this trade sends several messages too. To the players, increase the effort you can be replaced and to the rest of the league, we are ready to deal.

This just in: DR has traded Tyler Ennis and the entire 2014 draft for picks in 2017, 2018, and 2021.

All part of Darcy's 25 year Master Plan.

Dipshit move. Tell the guy it's too soon to take the fan favorite's #. Give him #62 until he gets dealt at the deadline.

meh. There's no crying in baseball.

One thing I'd like to say though.. we're really quick to kill Darcy but he BETTER get his props in 5-10 years when our forwards consist of some combination of Hodgson, Foligno, Ennis, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Larsson, Flynn, Armia, Catenacci, Bailey, Compher, Hurley, Baptiste and our defense has Pysyk, Ehrhoff, McCabe, Risto, Nikita, Myers, McNabb

This is before we throw in the ridiculous amount of prospects we're getting the next 2 years and whoever of these guys we trade to bring in pieces that fit the mold of our team during this time, we got a lot to be excited about just not* right now.

Good Lord. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Terrible trade. And here is why:

Ok the Sabres now have:

2 First Round Picks and 3 Second Round Picks in the 2014 NHL Draft

1 First Round Pick and 3 Second Round Picks in the 2015 NHL Draft

That is great and all, but even the odds of 2nd rounders really making it in the NHL are not all that good.

Also consider this: When is the last time a team like the Red Wings needed all these picks to find gems in the draft?

This trade just ensures that Darcy Regier WILL be here a lot longer then a lot of us are going to want.

Do any of us truly trust that Darcy is going to make the right selections to build the franchise the way it should be?

Pegula has made the Buffalo Sabres the biggest joke in the NHL. Well done Terrence.

Edited by (E5)

You forgot Reinhart and McDavid.

GO SABRES!!!

Just didn't include them because we don't have them YET haha

Good Lord. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Yeah I think it's closer to 5 but the product you'll see starting with the 2015-2016 season will be so much fun to watch I'm laughing at all the people hating because people will want on this bandwagon in a few years and you gotta cope with the bad to get the best

This is a sad day in Sabres history. Vanek is one of the most talented Sabres of all-time and to have this team driven so far into the ground where trading a player like Vanek becomes a necessity is frustrating.

The return is OK, A year or two ago if you said Vanek would fetch only two draft picks and a pending UFA likely to be a rental I think fans would go nuts. Where the Sabres are now, you just have to hope that Vanek does not a positive effect on the islanders and those picks have maximum value.

I didn't even think about Vanek playing well lessening the value of the draft pick. I'll still root for him, but damn. The bolded is misleading because Vanek is himself a pending UFA that could very well become a rental (EDIT:That may have been your point. Fans will go nuts that the team is in this state). Looking at their stats last three years they are comparable, with the obvious edge going to Vanek who played with much worse centers and is more talented by far. I agree that the return is just okay because the draft picks are nice, and the picks we'll get from Moulson will be nice, but I don't trust Darcy to trade these picks for the right, good young players. I have the sinking feeling that he's more likely to hold onto them until the draft.

Dipshit move. Tell the guy it's too soon to take the fan favorite's #. Give him #62 until he gets dealt at the deadline.

I know :cry: :angry: Might as well keep the C on it.

I didn't realize that Moulson played at Cornell. He's been playing hockey in New York for a while. At least he get's to come back to the beautiful part of New York.

Edited by qwksndmonster

"I don’t love where we are. I love what we’re doing and I believe in the direction we’re going."

Darcy Regier... 10/27/13 ...

Where we are, Darcy, is right where you put us. Where we're going is right where we are presently plus about five to ten more years of suffering. Or til Darcy's pension kicks in. Whichever comes first.

the odds of 2nd rounders really making it in the NHL are not all that good.

i feel like those odds are out there, somewhere. i'd be interested in seeing them.

between pominville, leopold, regehr, and now vanek, darcy's all fired up about being loaded with second rounders. again, what are the odds that 1 or more of them "hit"?

p.s. pominville was a 2nd rounder, yeah?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.