Vanek Traded to NYI for Matt Moulson, 1st in 2014 (or 2015!), 2nd in 2015; 4 Months Later: Moulson to MN for 2014/2016 2nd Rounders

Robviously

Mark Edwards@MarkEdwardsHP3h

Productive deal for the #Sabres another 1st rounder in good draft this year plus a 2nd in what could be a great draft in 2015. Plus Moulson

This is the opinion of a guy who should be in tune with the draft. If he says it's a good draft then I'd rather take that to the bank then joe blow.

Devine is head of scouting and is in charge of all these picks. This gives the scouts more ammo to do there job. They can't afford to miss on these 1st and 2nd rounders. They really need to load up for the 2015 draft. If they don't land the 1st pick for McDavid that year they have to throw a lot of these extra picks for him.

I truly believe Darcy's plan is to get him no matter what it costs, it's clear Darcy ain't going anywhere anytime soon and I think he convinced Pegula the plan to build a winner needs to go through rough stages in order to reap the benefits like Pittsburgh and Chicago are doing when the had back to back #1 or #2 overall picks and McDavid to me seems as clear as day as these guys were coming out.

Another random thought: I don't think we should ignore the idea of trading Moulson back to the Island. If their scoring is just below where they want it to be, I could see us dealing Moulson back there for a prospect or two.

Moulson & Miller for a few prospects? They still need goaltending help the Isles fans I talked to were pissed they traded their 1st round pick and didn't come away with an answer at goalie

I truly believe Darcy's plan is to get him no matter what it costs, it's clear Darcy ain't going anywhere anytime soon and I think he convinced Pegula the plan to build a winner needs to go through rough stages in order to reap the benefits like Pittsburgh and Chicago are doing when the had back to back #1 or #2 overall picks and McDavid to me seems as clear as day as these guys were coming out.

Problem is they have to win the draft lottery and there is no guarantee that happens.

Yes it's great Darcy is loading up on picks but this is being said this is a weak draft class so all these picks don't mean much. Plus by the time u develop any of these players in 3-4 years. This is going to be a very long rebuild!

No no and no. This draft is "weak" because it doesn't have elite talent at the top. Not because it lacks solid talent throughout. Draft picks, especially early ones, ALWAYS mean something.

And there are players coming in now. There will be players coming in each year for the next 5-6 years. The team will likely start improving in two years. So we'll get the benefit of this patience sooner than 3-4 years.

Moulson & Miller for a few prospects? They still need goaltending help the Isles fans I talked to were pissed they traded their 1st round pick and didn't come away with an answer at goalie

I do think the Islanders were honestly the best spot for both Vanek and Miller. Loads of forward prospects and obvious need for both.

No no and no. This draft is "weak" because it doesn't have elite talent at the top. Not because it lacks solid talent throughout. Draft picks, especially early ones, ALWAYS mean something.

And there are players coming in now. There will be players coming in each year for the next 5-6 years. The team will likely start improving in two years. So we'll get the benefit of this patience sooner than 3-4 years.

I do think the Islanders were honestly the best spot for both Vanek and Miller. Loads of forward prospects and obvious need for both.

U do realize they will suck next year as well! These youngsters still need developing. See Edmonton. 3-4 years at least.

U do realize they will suck next year as well! These youngsters still need developing. See Edmonton. 3-4 years at least.

Yea. I do realize they'll suck next year. Edmonton also ignored defense. We've got talent across the board at all positions. The simple way to look at it is that we don't know their names and they're young so they will all suck. But chances are a few of them really start turning into studs within two years.

The thing about Darcy's comments on Miller is that he contradicted himself. He said he's had no new discussions, but then later he said that he talks about about two thirds of the teams around the league over the course of a week and a lot is discussed and he left it at that. Chances are he's had discussions about Miller. Maybe nothing new. Maybe he's working on a deal, similar to this one, that's been discussed over the course of a few days/weeks/months.

Yea. I do realize they'll suck next year. Edmonton also ignored defense. We've got talent across the board at all positions. The simple way to look at it is that we don't know their names and they're young so they will all suck. But chances are a few of them really start turning into studs within two years.

I still believe this team won't be a playoff team at least 3-5 years maybe more. This team right now is just awful. Losing Vanek will hurt Hodgson in the short term. This is only the beginning. Once Miller, Ott and Moulson gets moved you are like an expansion team with a ton of picks.

I still believe this team won't be a playoff team at least 3-5 years maybe more. This team right now is just awful. Losing Vanek will hurt Hodgson in the short term. This is only the beginning. Once Miller, Ott and Moulson gets moved you are like an expansion team with a ton of picks.

I think they'll be a playoff team in 4-5 years. I stand by my earlier statement that if they don't botch this rebuild, they'll win a cup within eight years.

Chances are we trade for some NHL-ready prospects with at least two of those guys instead of just picks.

Edited by DStebb

I'm just in shock that a move was made so early in the season..... And a move that makes Darcy look just a tad less incompetent (just a tad).... It'd exciting to wonder what the next deal will be and when.... Until then our goals per game are gonna be atrocious

The move had to be made but it still doesn't change my feeling for Darcy! He still needs to be Shitcanned when all these unrestricted players are gone.

I'm just in shock that a move was made so early in the season..... And a move that makes Darcy look just a tad less incompetent (just a tad).... It'd exciting to wonder what the next deal will be and when.... Until then our goals per game are gonna be atrocious

If I were a betting man I would bet against Buffalo every game this season. They have shown me nothing up front besides Hodgson. Which now says Stafford is your big gun. Wow that's scary!

I'm curious to see what Vanek does now with a true #1center. I think Vanek is one of the best pure scorers in the game and now he gets to play with someone that has some serious skill. Should be interesting.

On the matter of waiting until now to make this trade.....

Assuming that Vanek and Moulson weren't involved.....would you trade Zadorov and Compher to the Islanders for their 2014 1st round draft pick and 2015 2nd round draft pick?

They need to give that scout that wanted Zadorov a raise. It seemed like they were set on Ristolainen when Zadorov might actually be the better player. This is exactly the things the scouts can't miss on with all these future picks. They have the next few years to scout all these youngsters big time, they should all be eat, sleep, drink all these junior games finding the right players. Nothing but time on their hands these scouts have.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

They need to give that scout that wanted Zadorov a raise. It seemed like they were set on Ristolainen when Zadorov might actually be the better player. This is exactly the things the scouts can't miss on with all these future picks. They have the next few years to scout all these youngsters big time, they should all be eat, sleep, drink all these junior games finding the right players. Nothing but time on their hands these scouts have.

The point being....Zadorov was a mid 1st round pick in the same area that NY will most likely draft. By waiting so long to make these trades, you give up time to get these young guys in the system for a few years. They have been easing into this rebuild for a few years instead of moving everything before the draft.

Put it this way....if the Sabres get another 2nd in 2014 for Moulson....and say a 2nd in 2014 and a 2nd in 2015 for Miller....Those 1st rounder in 2014, 2nd rounders in 2014, and 2 2nd rounders in 2015 could have been 3 1st rounders in 2013 give or take. You increase the amount of time it will take to have enough able bodies here to compete at a high enough level to contend.

Why they do this? I don't know. Does Darcy want the headlines of the nominal number of a round? Does Darcy want to collect quantity over quality so that he has a big enough pool of picks to at least hit on a few of them so he can say.."See Terry! I drafted these guys!"?

Personally, I would have moved these guys as soon as possible.

I think many picks within this collection of picks will be moved for young assets or youngish players in their prime that are capable of stepping in and contributing right away. The rebuild may not take as long as some have projected.

Edited by bunomatic

The other unspoken part of this rebuild is the cap space being created.

It's going to take at least a year or two before they will capitalize, but the Sabres are going to be in a position to take advantage of other team's cap issues moving forward - they'll have the room, the will and the prospects to offer.

They may have to overpay for a few free agents next summer just to reach the floor.

I'll miss Vanek but I see Moulson as a far more moveable asset to many of those more cap strapped teams at the deadline. Plus we have now 2 1st rounders in the upcoming draft plus 3 2nd rounders along with 1 1st rounder and 3 2nd rounders in 2015 thus far. We're certainly stacking the draft.

Indeed, Yakupov + 1st + prospect for miller and moulson

Also this is a very good time for hodgson to proove his "worth" without thomas vanek. Same goes for moulson without Tavares i guess.

The trade worked out well for both teams. Just the same way that I feel like the Vanek-Moulson trade will end up working out. Moulson is a Mississauga boy and a former Cornell University grad. He knows the Buffalo area well. His sister played college hockey at Niagara University. Moulson will be more apt to want to re-sign a long term deal to stay in Buffalo as he'll be closer to family in Toronto. Just ask Steve Ott, Cody Hodgson and some of the other Sabres what it means to ahev family and friends at every home game.
Edited by Heimdall

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.