Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Would people be pissed if Florida passes on Ekblad and Buffalo selects him and then trades Myers to Detroit for Mantha?

I'd take Mantha (one of my favorite prospects) for Myers, although we might want another piece in that deal. Then try to swap picks with Edmonton. They take Ekblad and we get our center. I think our top defensive pair will be Zad and Risto in the future, so we don't necessarily have to take Ekblad if he is available - even without Myers. Assuming McCabe and Pysyk pan out, we'd (hopefully) be okay on defense.

Actually 70% of Ehlers scoring came while Drouin was on the bench.

As for Gagner 0.89ppg 0.26g are his even strength numbers but like I said there are obviously other things to consider, such as the fact he was only 5'11". Ehlers subsequently is not on my stats sheet but Fabbri is, 1.02ppg 0.53g which even at 5'10" indicates to me Fabbri should be better in the NHL then Gagner. Would I draft him? No, he is to small for my tastes and the league is trending bigger.

Probably closer than what I tossed out. Myers #31 blues 2015 for Mantha and 15?

I would still make this trade

Would people be pissed if Florida passes on Ekblad and Buffalo selects him and then trades Myers to Detroit for Mantha?

Yes. Mantha doesn't play center. We need centers. Girgensons is maybe a solid #2 center... then we have? Lots of question marks.

Only if I could be guaranteed a top two pick next year.

Ehlers scored 1.4ppg in the roughly 18 games without Drouin, 1.6 total, and 1.7 in the games with Drouin. He's not a bad player, but 1.4 in the Q doesn't make you worth the draft position he'll get. If you swapped Ho Sang and Ehlers this season, I'm sure you would swap where they would be drafted as well

Oh I think Ehlers is overrated. I think he is small and fast and like has been mentioned he didn't always face the top opposition. It was merely a measuring tool for players that are close to one another. It shouldn't be the be all end all. Even strength scoring does correlate to future success, however other factors should be considered.

The fact that an organ-eye-zation like Detroit wants Myers gives me pause. What do they see in him? I'd hate to see the young man leave and (re-)blossom into a top-2 guy with offensive upside.

Again, do not believe he has the Mental ability to process the NHL at game speeds and since other teams now know his physical weaknessess he can not use his brain to counter act and overcome his shortcomings. I like Myers, he is one of my favorite current Sabres, unfortunately he is a 3/4 guy on a team with 4 other top 4 defenders in the pipeline.

If Myers was 6'3" 220lbs we would think of him as a 3/4 guy with decent upside but not that consistent ability to be amazing. Since he is 6'8" he gets compared to chara and all this other bs and he is the player he is.

@BuffaloSabres

"We're ready." -#Sabres GM Tim Murray. He says his team has discussed all the different scenarios for today. pic.twitter.com/2VIbJl7oYC

Trade talk has been quiet lately, Murray says. He anticipates chatter will pick up on the floor tonight. #NHLDraft

Murray says he has been trying to acquire a veteran player via trade who will help with culture on #Sabres.

It may prove to be an outlier, but before his career is over, Myers will have a season where it all comes together and he is in the conversation about the leagues best.

The kid has already played over 300 NHL games yet we continually talk about Big Tyler's "potential." Statistically his scoring is down year-over-year and his penalties are up. Not exactly the trajectory that makes me think he's about to have a "break out" season. Maybe the guy just needs some steroids? :)

Again, do not believe he has the Mental ability to process the NHL at game speeds and since other teams now know his physical weaknessess he can not use his brain to counter act and overcome his shortcomings. I like Myers, he is one of my favorite current Sabres, unfortunately he is a 3/4 guy on a team with 4 other top 4 defenders in the pipeline.

If Myers was 6'3" 220lbs we would think of him as a 3/4 guy with decent upside but not that consistent ability to be amazing. Since he is 6'8" he gets compared to chara and all this other bs and he is the player he is.

Right on! His size, and expectations therein, just doesn't mesh with his style. I flat out don't like Tyler Myers (least favorite Sabre since Phil Housley), so my projection of him is somewhat colored, but I don't understand what folks see as his potential. They say he has a high ceiling, but what is that? Even during his heralded rookie year, he showed indications that his offensive abilities might outweigh his defensive awareness, but people dismissed it because of his age, and "it could only get better". I think Myers will improve on his shortcomings, but never to reach elite status, nor a #1 defenseman. I have no qualms dealing him to another team if it can net us an upgrade at forward. We can't be afraid of that "one good season" he might have if we let him go. Lets face it, the kid isn't that young anymore by NHL standards....you are seeing pretty much what you are going to get aside from slight improvements here and there.

It may prove to be an outlier, but before his career is over, Myers will have a season where it all comes together and he is in the conversation about the leagues best.

He may get traded to another team and become a HOF D-Man. Right now with the Sabres this does not seem like a possibility. If Murray gets an offer for Myers that he believes will improve the team in the longer term, you needs to make the deal.

Right on! His size, and expectations therein, just doesn't mesh with his style. I flat out don't like Tyler Myers (least favorite Sabre since Phil Housley), so my projection of him is somewhat colored, but I don't understand what folks see as his potential. They say he has a high ceiling, but what is that? Even during his heralded rookie year, he showed indications that his offensive abilities might outweigh his defensive awareness, but people dismissed it because of his age, and "it could only get better". I think Myers will improve on his shortcomings, but never to reach elite status, nor a #1 defenseman. I have no qualms dealing him to another team if it can net us an upgrade at forward. We can't be afraid of that "one good season" he might have if we let him go. Lets face it, the kid isn't that young anymore by NHL standards....you are seeing pretty much what you are going to get aside from slight improvements here and there.

You didn't like Housley?

Do you also dislike ice cream? Fireworks? Beautiful women?

You didn't like Housley?

I don't remember what beautiful women are like :cry:

But yea I still advocate EDM and Myers happening. I think Murray has at least one deal in the pipeline for tonight.

You didn't like Housley?

I think the bigger question is, you liked Housley? And strong enough to compare it to ice cream, fireworks and hot women? I would like to see what you consider a beautiful woman then :) Probably Phil Housley.

I think the bigger question is, you liked Housley? And strong enough to compare it to ice cream, fireworks and hot women? I would like to see what you consider a beautiful woman then :) Probably Phil Housley.

I'm w/ you on Whimpley, but I'd've taken him in a heartbeat over friggin' 42. I absolutely hated Jeanneret's catch phrase 'Smehlik clears it .... not out.' :censored:

I'll put this here because it doesn't really fit anywhere else:

https://twitter.com/Hope_Smoke/status/482558109370421249

Anaheim and Vancouver had a deal for Kesler worked out but Kesler's family nixed it. That now explains Anaheim's bizarre behaviour at the deadline by jettisoning a top 6 plaer and not doing anything else

Official Draft order:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=723157

I'll put this here because it doesn't really fit anywhere else:

https://twitter.com/...558109370421249

Anaheim and Vancouver had a deal for Kesler worked out but Kesler's family nixed it. That now explains Anaheim's bizarre behaviour at the deadline by jettisoning a top 6 plaer and not doing anything else

He's going to Anaheim.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.