Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

Seriously. And some crossword puzzles or a book or something. I went in 1991; it was boring and that draft had Eric Lindros and a team making its first ever draft selection.

I went to the one where we picked Kalinin, which must have been the year Lecavalier went #1. We (my brother and I) didn't even make it until the Sabres pick and instead caught it on the radio on the ride home. The only fun stuff was outside, anything inside the arena was a complete waste of time.

I went to the one where we picked Kalinin, which must have been the year Lecavalier went #1. We (my brother and I) didn't even make it until the Sabres pick and instead caught it on the radio on the ride home. The only fun stuff was outside, anything inside the arena was a complete waste of time.

Yeah but how often does one get a chance to throw an egg at Bettman in person?

Yeah but how often does one get a chance to throw an egg at Bettman in person?

Sitting up in the nosebleeds, that's going to be one hell of a throw. With our luck, the egg would land in front of Reinhart, he'd slip and fall, and wind up paralyzed.

Leon Draisaitl finished the World Championships with

7GP 1G 3A 4Pts -3

pretty good tournament for him

/sarcasm?

I could be wrong, but my guess is that's pretty good for an 18 year old in a terrible team.

Not too bad. Not mind-blowing either.

Corey Pronman@coreypronman 9m

Draisaitl's 4 points at the WC as an 18 YO ties him with Malkin, Tomas Jonsson, MacKinnon, Evander Kane, Kirk Muller, and Hawerchuk.

I still wouldn't take him over either Sam, but that's pretty damn good company.

The Calgary Flames Exec Craig Conroy

"There's probably three guys that everyone else would say, 'these are the three guys', but we really feel there's a group of six players. There's a group of six guys that if we got one of those six guys we'd be extremely happy. So at four, it's a perfect situation. I think everyone's been talking about three guys, but I think there's probably three more guys that can be in the conversation for sure."

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2014/5/21/flames-have-specific-target-with-no-4-draft-pick

Also if I had to guess... Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Nylander, Dal Colle are their 6

The Calgary Flames Exec Craig Conroy

"There's probably three guys that everyone else would say, 'these are the three guys', but we really feel there's a group of six players. There's a group of six guys that if we got one of those six guys we'd be extremely happy. So at four, it's a perfect situation. I think everyone's been talking about three guys, but I think there's probably three more guys that can be in the conversation for sure."

http://www.nicholsonhockey.com/worthreading/2014/5/21/flames-have-specific-target-with-no-4-draft-pick

Also if I had to guess... Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl, Nylander, Dal Colle are their 6

To me this is total scout-speak so they can claim they got the guy they wanted all along and have it seem slightly greater than 0% credible. And by slightly greater, I mean <1% credibility rather than absolute zero.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

To me this is total scout-speak so they can claim they got the guy they wanted all along and have it seem slightly greater than 0% credible. And by slightly greater, I mean <1% credibility rather than absolute zero.

It sounds like somebody who's coping with being in the second tier of prospects, like us the last 4 years.

It sounds like somebody who's coping with being in the second tier of prospects, like us the last 4 years.

Agreed. I also wonder if the 3 teams in front of them have either refused to move down or have set the price at unreasonable heights. I personally disagree with them and think there is a break @3 but it isn't a significant one until 5.

That's exactly what it is. "We really like the top 6 guys in this draft, and hey, we pick 4th!" The funny this is that since they probably won't see their players for two years, the fans will have already forgotten about these rankings by the time that player is a Flame.

Sam Bennett -

He's incredibly shifty one on one and does a great job at using his skating ability (his agility and ability to turn is exceptional) in conjunction with his terrific puck skill, to create lanes for him to shoot. His acceleration is very deceptive and he's able to beat defenders down the wing to the net, or explode off the wall to create scoring chances. As previously mentioned, Bennett is also a fantastic playmaker as he does a great job of spotting open teammates, especially off the rush and through the cycle.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2014/05/my-final-top-50-ohl-players-for-2014_22.html

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.