Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/ducks-and-kings-have-what-many-teams-crave/

For all the success St. Louis had for much of the season, the Blues had just one win against the three California squads in nine tries – and it was against a Kings team that didn’t have Jonathan Quick in net. So what was it about the Kings, Ducks and Sharks that gave St. Louis such fits?

“They’re rather large,” said coach Ken Hitchcock with a telling smile.

And this is from a guy with David Backes on his side. But with Anaheim taking Game 3 of its second-round freeway showdown with Los Angeles, it’s pretty obvious both teams have one of the most coveted types of assets in the NHL: The big, dominant No. 1 center.

So small centers and winger don't work? Someone should tell DR stat.

Well Joel has quite a few large centers and wingers.

Yes. And when you have a little pinball like Kane orbiting them, it's a good system. Guys like Briere, Ennis, whomever, they have their place; they just can't be the whole team.

Hitchcock has a few big forwards, but not many, and I'm not sure he used them the right way.

All it means is you need high end offensive skill. Whether that skill is 6'0 or 6'3 is basically irrelevant. Those teams really aren't any bigger than the Blues up front, they're just more talented.

No, they are in fact bigger. Check out their rosters. The Blues have far more guys under 6'1 than the other teams do.

Yes. And when you have a little pinball like Kane orbiting them, it's a good system. Guys like Briere, Ennis, whomever, they have their place; they just can't be the whole team.

Hitchcock has a few big forwards, but not many, and I'm not sure he used them the right way.

I agree. I think Timmy understands this as well. You can have a tyler ennis on your team but you can't have Ennis, Briere, and St Louis. There just isn't enough physical size there even with a ton of skill. I think that is why we have Deslauriers and Fasching in the system now. Something to look at going into this draft as well considering there are several wingers with size but also several sub 6ft guys. Which will Murray chose.

No, they are in fact bigger. Check out their rosters. The Blues have far more guys under 6'1 than the other teams do.

Their top-6s are pretty even, and guys like Thornton/Marleau who have a size advantage play less physical than Oshie does.

I agree. I think Timmy understands this as well. You can have a tyler ennis on your team but you can't have Ennis, Briere, and St Louis. There just isn't enough physical size there even with a ton of skill. I think that is why we have Deslauriers and Fasching in the system now. Something to look at going into this draft as well considering there are several wingers with size but also several sub 6ft guys. Which will Murray chose.

This is one of the most fascinating things for me to watch this year.

I like how all the young'uns Timmy has brought in are big and we need to get bigger.

But the Sabres most pressing need is still high-end skill.

Do we go Reinhart over Draisaitl?

Will we try to move up into the late first to snag a Ho-Sang or a Milano?

Or is a Tuch or a Bleackley more our style?

This is one of the most fascinating things for me to watch this year.

I like how all the young'uns Timmy has brought in are big and we need to get bigger.

But the Sabres most pressing need is still high-end skill.

Do we go Reinhart over Draisaitl?

Will we try to move up into the late first to snag a Ho-Sang or a Milano?

Or is a Tuch or a Bleackley more our style?

Reinhart is superior to Draisaitl in every way except weight. Reinhart is even more physical than Draisaitl IMPO. If they move up into the late 1st round they should target Adrian Kempe and not either of those two you mention. Tuch and Bleackley are good prospects with size. As far as I am concerned the things Murry should be looking for in order, Compete, Skating, Shot, Size. I am sure there are some other attributes to consider but the point is as much as I want to get bigger if there is a 8 on the board at 5'11" and a 7.5 on the board at 6'2" I am not taking the 6'2" but again it will be very interesting to see what Murry does. It will need to be a balance and I hope he aggressively goes for talent with size.

Hockey News weighs in with a mock, including a surprise.

http://www.thehockey...the-2014-draft/

Reinhart has been on the Radar since last year, he is going to slide on these types of posts because everyone is picking his game apart. He isn't the shiny toy anymore. I still favor Bennett slightly more than Reinhart but I would be happy with either. Draisaitl has good edgework and pivots on his skates but he has average speed at best and honestly I am sick of seeing slow skaters because IMPO that drags your team down. Just because he has 2 inches and roughly 20-30lbs on Reinhart/Bennett isn't enough to offset his questionable work ethic and his slower foot speed.

Edited by LGR4GM

Reinhart has been on the Radar since last year, he is going to slide on these types of posts because everyone is picking his game apart. He isn't the shiny toy anymore. I still favor Bennett slightly more than Reinhart but I would be happy with either. Draisaitl has good edgework and pivots on his skates but he has average speed at best and honestly I am sick of seeing slow skaters because IMPO that drags your team down. Just because he has 2 inches and roughly 20-30lbs on Reinhart/Bennett isn't enough to offset his questionable work ethic and his slower foot speed.

Guys can get better at skating. See Tavares, John.

One of the main knocks against him coming out of the draft was his speed.

You don't get expectional status unless your really good. Tavares was a great player in junior even if the knock on him was his speed. I want players that can play and that can skate. I want either one of the Sams plus I wouldn't be against them taking Ekblad. I know they need offense but I'm not sold on Myers.

You don't get expectional status unless your really good. Tavares was a great player in junior even if the knock on him was his speed. I want players that can play and that can skate. I want either one of the Sams plus I wouldn't be against them taking Ekblad. I know they need offense but I'm not sold on Myers.

Well that's almost entirely missing my original point, but OK.

Guys can get better at skating. See Tavares, John.

Your right they can. Guys can also add muscle/weight. 6'1" 200lb Reinhart is IMPO better than 6'2" 210lb Draisaitl. 6' 195lb Sam Bennett is also better. Draisaitl just doesn't have the overall package the other two guys do and when everyone is mature I don't think the inch in height and the 10-15lbs in weight is going to matter because Bennett and Reinhart have skills Draisaitl does not.

Hey i'm with you on the Sams over Draisaitl.

But given what I've seen and heard, I'm just not convinced Murray is.

I hope I'm wrong.

I wouldn't be upset taking a flyer on a boom-or-bust skill guy late in round one/early in round two.

I think given what's in the pipeline already, and the number of picks we have coming it wouldn't be wrong to upgrade our second pick to swing for the fences on a guy with first-line upside.

Watching the IIHF WOrlds as Draisaitl is on Team Germany...

Maybe an advantage for him, that he can show his play against "Men teams" prior to the Draft. Yesterday 1 game germany won 2:1 and he had an assist.

Summary... so strong on the puck and he protects it perfectly... skating needs work but impressive how he always knows where on the ice his teammates are. slick and clear passes and everytime he is on the ice he creates something.

Germany playing against Ted Nolan and Girgensons right now. Germany leads Latvia 1:0

Edited by Peppy22

Watching the IIHF WOrlds as Draisaitl is on Team Germany...

Maybe an advantage for him, that he can show his play against "Men teams" prior to the Draft. Yesterday 1 game germany won 2:1 and he had an assist.

Summary... so strong on the puck and he protects it perfectly... skating needs work but impressive how he always knows where on the ice his teammates are. slick and clear passes and everytime he is on the ice he creates something.

Germany playing against Ted Nolan and Girgensons right now. Germany leads Latvia 1:0

The kid is a beast on the puck.

Reminds me of Foppa.

The kid is a beast on the puck.

Reminds me of Foppa.

I'm finding it a little annoying that some folks above don't recognize the skill level of Draisaitl. Kid had the exact same number of points as Reinhart in the same league (WHL) and had more goals. Statements like "we need skill" implies that Leon isn't highly skilled and that's just plain false.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.