Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I'm finding it a little annoying that some folks above don't recognize the skill level of Draisaitl. Kid had the exact same number of points as Reinhart in the same league (WHL) and had more goals. Statements like "we need skill" implies that Leon isn't highly skilled and that's just plain false.

I recognize his skill just fine. I also recognize that Reinhart and Bennett are better.

Draisaitl is not going to be Gretzky like. He is mostlikely not going to be going MacKinnon or Crosby or Toews or whatever like.

You never know how a player developes. Even Reinhart or Bennett or Ekblad could be busts.

You can just say where they are now. And there was an article on the IIHF website comparing his efforts at the IIHF with what Kopitar did back then prior to his draft

Comparing players at the same stages is possible but to say this player will be like..... is crap...

http://www.iihfworld...isaitl-feature/

Here is the article

Edited by Peppy22

Kopitar is what I see as his upside.

Draisaitl won't be a superstar, but he could easily be the big first-line centre Darcy could never give us.

I'm a Reinhart guy because I love his intelligence, but I don't think Draisaitl gets enough respect around here.

This kid will be a player.

Kopitar is what I see as his upside.

Draisaitl won't be a superstar, but he could easily be the big first-line centre Darcy could never give us.

I'm a Reinhart guy because I love his intelligence, but I don't think Draisaitl gets enough respect around here.

This kid will be a player.

Haven't seen enough of Draisaitl to judge his abilities and don't know what kind of team player he is so other than liking his size, I don't have a sense. I do like Reinhart because of his leadership and hockey sense and Bennett second because of his effort, grit and ability to score. Sabres could use one each of these guys, which is why they will need to wait till 2015 to get another. They have so little depth at center it is a frustrating thing to debate these three guys. Thanks Darcy...

So with the Wild being eliminated I believe their second round pick is now determined to be 49th overall. If Miller does not resign with the Blues before the draft I believe the Sabres then retain Minni's 49th pick. Assuming Miller doesn't sign we know the picks through the first two rounds are:

2. Buffalo's 1st

5. NY Isles 1st (If Isles don't defer)

31. Buffalo's 2nd

39. Jets 2nd

49. Wild 2nd

Someone please correct me if I'm off.

Sam Reinhart:

I liked this video better than the last one. Shows more of his willingness to shoot the puck.

Pros: Slick with the puck, damn good hands, good hand eye, good vision.

Cons: Slapshot looks akward, and he seems hesitant to take one timers. Doesn't have blazing speed.

I wouldn't have a problem if they drafted either Sam. Pretty sure either one will be our best player by the time they can legally drink.

From The Hockey News Draft Preview Issue:

"DRAFT PREVIEW 14

In our annual Draft Preview edition, the top 100 prospects ranked and profiled by our panel of scouts. Included in the group is a quartet of can't-miss youngsters who make up this year's Fantastic Four. Also in the issue: A breakdown of each team’s short- and long-term needs, how Mats Sundin changed the draft forever 25 years ago and why the Buffalo Sabres will be a powerhouse by 2020."

The issue is available for purchase in stores or online as a digital download.

From The Hockey News Draft Preview Issue:

"DRAFT PREVIEW 14

In our annual Draft Preview edition, the top 100 prospects ranked and profiled by our panel of scouts. Included in the group is a quartet of can't-miss youngsters who make up this year's Fantastic Four. Also in the issue: A breakdown of each team’s short- and long-term needs, how Mats Sundin changed the draft forever 25 years ago and why the Buffalo Sabres will be a powerhouse by 2020."

The issue is available for purchase in stores or online as a digital download.

So, does anyone have this? :flirt:

Did you think today's 18 year olds were going to play like 24 year olds tomorrow?

But if we wait that long season ticket prices will go up by 6(.4%)=.24%!

Can anyone really imagine the insanity this forum would have if it took 6 years for us to be consistently a playoff threat?? I kind of want it to happen just to see what it would be like.

Edited by WildCard

could the sabs trade out this yr too get a first next yr or would u rather get sum1 at 2??

Could they? Yes they could. Will they? Absolutely not. Would I personally rather get a player at 2 or a random 2015 first, I would rather take a player at 2, the value there is just far too high.

If you trade out of #2 you are giving a team a very good player who most likely will have a positive impact on the team next season. For instance say we trade Edmonton our #2 for their 2015 first and 2015 second. They draft Bennett for instance who immediately joins their team and gives them a defensive forward with skill. Instead of finishing in the bottom five they finish in the 10-14 slot. Now some people will try and argue that next years draft is this or that but the truth is Bennett/Ekblad/Reinhart and maybe Leon would be in the mix for the top 10 next year and maybe the top 5 depending on how things will shake out. Not saying McDavid or Eichel level but they are very good players. So we would get a player next year with Edmonton's pick that is close to or even equivalent.

However that player is still a year behind and that does not include the risk of Edmonton suddenly having stable GT and squeaking into the playoffs. Now you are drafting 15th as opposed to 2nd and Bennet/Eklbad/Reinhart are much better than the #15 player in 2015 hands down. The risk of making a trade like that are simply to high for the Sabres unless more than just picks are being transferred. Either way I would prefer to draft 2nd this year than trade out.

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.