Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

FC Rankings for May

http://futureconside...2014-nhl-draft/

Leon Draisaitl is outside the top 5 as he very well should be. We have already had players who don't always go at 100% and are average skaters. Lets get a guy who goes at 120% and has both elite skating and shot.

Outside the 5 because Nylander moved in.

Draisitl still appears to be an exceptional talent to me. I'm not sure if Nylander should be there myself.

Draisitl still appears to be an exceptional talent to me. I'm not sure if Nylander should be there myself.

I think Nylander might be the most offensively talented player in the draft...but that frame is a concern. He really is Ennis-sized.

I agree. Assuming Bennett and Ekblad are gone in the first two picks, Edmonton will take Draisaitl at #3. The Edmonton press have been loving on Draisaitl for a while now. He has size and physicality that Reinhart doesn't have.

Sam Reinhart is at the Canadian world championship camp in Zurich. Could be another opportunity to see him before the draft. If he plays well it would probably put him ahead of Bennett.

Well it would lock him in ahead of Bennett on many boards and then help him jump him on the others.

Well it would lock him in ahead of Bennett on many boards and then help him jump him on the others.

I would jump him ahead of Bennett in my own personal board if he should well. I like Reinhart, I just like Bennett a little better at this point. Still defer to TImmy.

This is going to be an interesting draft because people keep saying Florida needs defense but that doesn't mean Florida takes Ekblad or even keeps the pick. I don't see the Islanders giving us their pick this year as they already started to try to fix one of their issues. Plus who knows if the Islanders are willing to move up and take Reinhart that way they have 2 of the brothers on the same team. Edmonton could really use Ekblad but would have to move up to secure him. The Sabres lack offensive firepower in the worst possible way. Plus throw in St Louis on what to do with Miller and u have a ton of question marks. This draft isn't the greatest anyways and I would be pissed if we selected a german with just average skating ability. The focus should be on getting guys who can skate, have a high hockey IQ, have skill and a strong work ethic. It's going to be very interesting this year for Buffalo maybe one of the most important offseasons in franchise history.

This is going to be an interesting draft because people keep saying Florida needs defense but that doesn't mean Florida takes Ekblad or even keeps the pick. I don't see the Islanders giving us their pick this year as they already started to try to fix one of their issues. Plus who knows if the Islanders are willing to move up and take Reinhart that way they have 2 of the brothers on the same team. Edmonton could really use Ekblad but would have to move up to secure him. The Sabres lack offensive firepower in the worst possible way. Plus throw in St Louis on what to do with Miller and u have a ton of question marks. This draft isn't the greatest anyways and I would be pissed if we selected a german with just average skating ability. The focus should be on getting guys who can skate, have a high hockey IQ, have skill and a strong work ethic. It's going to be very interesting this year for Buffalo maybe one of the most important offseasons in franchise history.

I still have a feeling the panthers would take Bennett, and I hope that's not the case because I'd prefer him although reinhart is a close second so I wouldn't be devastated. I just hope Timmy gets the guy he wants. But hopefully it's one of the sams

Just because Florida appears to need help on defense doesn't necessarily mean they will automatically go Ekblad, look at last year when the Avs appeared to need defense and have a surplus of forwards. They chose a forward and it worked out pretty well for them.

Just because Florida appears to need help on defense doesn't necessarily mean they will automatically go Ekblad, look at last year when the Avs appeared to need defense and have a surplus of forwards. They chose a forward and it worked out pretty well for them.

Top centers (forwards in general, really) are a way better bet at the top of the draft. This year there's not really a forward that blows anybody away so I could see Ekblad going 1, but it's still not likely.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/Nathan+MacKinnon+joins+Canada+world+championship/9805806/story.html

Sam Reinhart of the Kootenay Ice is with the team in Zurich for training camp and Canada's upcoming exhibition game. He's the third ranked North American skater on NHL Central Scouting's list for next month's draft.

Now this article makes me question whether or not Sam will play but again if he shows well it will only help his draft stock.

Top centers (forwards in general, really) are a way better bet at the top of the draft. This year there's not really a forward that blows anybody away so I could see Ekblad going 1, but it's still not likely.

I agree but if Ekblad is there at two I hope Timmy talks to EDM and trades out of #2. We simply can not afford to waste a pick on a defender when #1 centers are worth much more than them. We desperately need offense and it is much harder to acquire, they must select a forward at 2 or trade out of the spot.

I agree but if Ekblad is there at two I hope Timmy talks to EDM and trades out of #2. We simply can not afford to waste a pick on a defender when #1 centers are worth much more than them. We desperately need offense and it is much harder to acquire, they must select a forward at 2 or trade out of the spot.

The only way Edmonton trades with up with us is if they feel that the Isles or Flames are a serious threat to take our spot via trade and snag Ekblad. I don't see the Flames with Burke moving anywhere, and I'd bet Murray isn't too keen on moving all the way down to the Isle's spot unless it's for something real nice, which I can't see the Islanders giving up.

I'd be interested in seeing what offers he could get, but at the end of the day I think we stay at number 2

OHL scout for TheHockeyGuys site sits downs and discusses the OHL draft eligible prospects including Ekblad and Bennett. Talks about Ekblad and how NHL defenders need roughly 200 games before they are at the NHL level. Talks about Bennett's speed and good two-way game.

http://flamesnation.ca/2014/5/5/nhl-draft-scout-series-ohl

WHL scout for Future Considerations talks Reinhart and Draisaitl. Speaks highly of Reinhart and his ability to raise his game but also says Draisaitl worked hard this year to try and push for top in the WHL.

http://flamesnation.ca/2014/4/30/nhl-draft-scout-series-whl

So is Devine definitely going to end up being the/the only AGM for the team? I know there were rumors about GMTM hiring his own assistant, but there haven't been any talks about that for a while.

I remember reading Murray wants to bring one of Ottawa's Scouts Rob Murphy in as an AGM. Ottawa probably will not let him go until after the draft.

Edited by BRAWNDO

Wondered across this stat of Sam Bennett's while looking at mock drafts: Even strength scoring 57 games played, 25g-34a-59pts. Just something of note

http://bleacherrepor...playoffs/page/3

Also going to toss this out there for Round 2 players with potential:

Justin Kirkland: 6'3" 190lbs, LW/RW with an August b-day. He has only played 1 full season in the WHL posting 17g, 31a, 48pts in 68gp. He is roughly projected to go late 2nd early 3rd.

-Kelowna power forward Justin Kirkland justified Red Line's faith in him as one of the draft's real up-and-comers with his performance in a tough six-game first-round series against Tri-City. He was a two-way force, posting 2-2-4 totals while never getting outhustled or beaten to loose pucks.

Kirkland showed great hands around the net, hit everything in sight, and logged important minutes on both special teams units. He's a coach's dream who leaves everything on the ice each shift.

Edited by LGR4GM

Effortless and cerebral. Color me impressed. ;)

I like that he's not just looking to pass. He knows exactly when he should shoot and he knows exactly when he should pass.

Also, he find patches of open ice that most prospects just don't see.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.