Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

I have never believed the Sabres plan was to "tank" until they realized it was inevitable,

The Draft Lottery was designed in part to counter the perception that teams can lose on purpose and be rewarded. If that is the NHL's intent they should address it fully.

A) have a true Draft Lottery where all 14 non playoff teams have their draft position drawn at random. .

B) have a weighted lottery where a teams chances are based on victories. 1 ball per win.

C) have a tourney to determine the draft order. This is my preference where the 14 non-playoff teams play in a single game elimination tournament to determine the draft order.

Although this is great in theory as it would create some real excitment for the non playoff teams, I think there are several negative unintentional consequences of this idea.

Firstly, what would happen with a team like the Islanders? Say there was no condition and Buffalo has their first this year or they defer and we have it for sure next season and the Isles miss the playoffs? There is a real incentive to not even enter the tourney or just throw the games. So if that's the case, teams won't even trade first round picks and those are usually included in the majority of big trades. Secondly, I think trade deadline day would become a very dull day. If the Sabres still want to win that post season lottery tourney they would be more inclined to hold onto buys like Miller and Ott to try and win the tournament which would prove for a very boring deadline (which is proven time and again that the media and fans love that day). To me, alot of excitment comes from trades and you would kill somewhere in the neighbourhood of 90% of all deals in my opinion if we went to this system. I am strongly in favour of saying no to option C.

Football and baseball don't need a lottery so I'm not sure why the NHL suddenly wants to upgrade theirs. Ok, I do know why they want to, but it is stupid reasoning. Suddenly an elite talent shows up and teams are whining that they have no shot at him. Where were these complaints for John Tavares? The whole thing is pathetic. This system has worked fine since the dawn of man, they shouldn't be messing with it now.

I agree. I don't mind the lottery system but the worst team shouldn't drop more than so many spots. Like I said before most teams don't purposely tank they are just poorly owned and managed plus you add that most veteran players don't want to stay on a losing team or even sign there. I happen to agree with Football has the most parity as far as teams goes. Each year you always have teams that surprise you. There draft has worked just fine but like I said before the teams that are mediocre seem to be poorly run or don't really care about the product they are putting on the field. (Kinda like the Buffalo Bills) how many years of being 6-10 or 8-8 do they have to go through.

It seems to be always the case that Buffalo teams end up on the bad side of league changes. I can see it now..... Sabres end in 30th and then pick 4th or 5th forcing us to endure more miserable seasons. Give us McDavid and I'm positive we make the playoffs in 2016 or 2017

I agree if we land McDavid we make playoffs in no-time.

If we land McDavid, by some miracle, and nothing else changes roster wise we will not be making the playoffs, ever, IMO.

McDavid + Reinhart/Bennett + NYI first rounder + some FA's and prospects developing = a legit Cup contender (see Crosby/Malkin, Kane/Toews, Kopitar/Doughty, etc..)

The league already as a salary cap floor and a draft lottery, this is as anti-tank as they should get. Just 10 years ago there was no lottery and no cap floor.... how fair was that? But I don't recall anybody complaining about it then.

Parity used to be the priority. These proposed adjustments to the lottery are anti-parity. The worst team in the league only getting pick #6? Makes no sense.

The only reason the NHL is considering changing the draft is because of McDavid/Eichel who are considered to be possible generational players. If next years draft class looked like this years, there would be no discussion. Not sure if this is being generated by GMs that think they should get a chance at one of them or generated by the league in order to influence/determine where McDavid/Eichel end up.

It seems that some here think landing McDavid/Eichel and adding FAs, other draft picks is an either or proposition. It really isn't. The ideal way to build a team is to land a "star" player (McDavid/Eichel) and some of the top FAs as well. Either one with out the other puts a rebuild at more risk of failure, will probably take longer to complete and require more churn of players to keep the team at a higher level.

McDavid + Reinhart/Bennett + NYI first rounder + some FA's and prospects developing = a legit Cup contender (see Crosby/Malkin, Kane/Toews, Kopitar/Doughty, etc..)

The league already as a salary cap floor and a draft lottery, this is as anti-tank as they should get. Just 10 years ago there was no lottery and no cap floor.... how fair was that? But I don't recall anybody complaining about it then.

Parity used to be the priority. These proposed adjustments to the lottery are anti-parity. The worst team in the league only getting pick #6? Makes no sense.

I totally agree with this. Other GM's wanting to get a chance at 2 franchise type players wanting to change the system is BS.

The only reason the NHL is considering changing the draft is because of McDavid/Eichel who are considered to be possible generational players. If next years draft class looked like this years, there would be no discussion. Not sure if this is being generated by GMs that think they should get a chance at one of them or generated by the league in order to influence/determine where McDavid/Eichel end up.

It seems that some here think landing McDavid/Eichel and adding FAs, other draft picks is an either or proposition. It really isn't. The ideal way to build a team is to land a "star" player (McDavid/Eichel) and some of the top FAs as well. Either one with out the other puts a rebuild at more risk of failure, will probably take longer to complete and require more churn of players to keep the team at a higher level.

Disagree. I think this talk is being generated because of teams like Buffalo outwardly tanking. Of course, they are tanking because of the talent coming available. But if teams weren't so obvious in their desire to lose this season and next talks re: lottery changes wouldn't be happening.

Disagree. I think this talk is being generated because of teams like Buffalo outwardly tanking. Of course, they are tanking because of the talent coming available. But if teams weren't so obvious in their desire to lose this season and next talks re: lottery changes wouldn't be happening.

Buffalo had 3 different guys acting as GM this season. Although if TM puts a similar roster out next season then that's out the window.

Quite honestly, I saw let a team tank if they want to. Edmonton is the only team right now that should be a worry. They're in a long stretch of suck, but I don't think that can be blamed on anything but incompetence, constantly ignoring defense and goaltending.

So a team isn't allowed to sell off their failed veteran core in an effort to maximize assets and rebuild with a younger more talented core? What were the Sabres supposed to do? Hover at 8-12th for another 5-7 years and hope they get lucky?

To me it is obvious that the Sabres are tanking because they recognized they couldn't win a cup with the vets they had and their best chance of doing it was getting and developing good young talent.

So a team isn't allowed to sell off their failed veteran core in an effort to maximize assets and rebuild with a younger more talented core? What were the Sabres supposed to do? Hover at 8-12th for another 5-7 years and hope they get lucky?

To me it is obvious that the Sabres are tanking because they recognized they couldn't win a cup with the vets they had and their best chance of doing it was getting and developing good young talent.

Those vets brought them close to the final though :D

Quite honestly, I saw let a team tank if they want to. Edmonton is the only team right now that should be a worry. They're in a long stretch of suck, but I don't think that can be blamed on anything but incompetence, constantly ignoring defense and goaltending.

I agree with this. Bad Management and some bad drafting has led to this long stretch for Edmonton

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Time to look at prospects ranked 20 to 40 as there is a good possiblity 3 of them will be drafted by the Sabres: (St.Louis #1, Buffalo #2 and Winnipeg #2)

21 Nikita Scherbak LW – Saskatoon - WHL (6'2 - 174lbs) , Born Dec 1995

Regular Season Stats - 65GP, 28G, 50A - Lead Team in Goals and Assists -

Blades miss play-offs. Season Over

22 Nikolay Goldobin LW – Sania – OHL (6'0 - 185lbs), Born Oct 1995

Regular Season Stats - 67GP, 38G, 56A - Lead team in goals, tied for lead in assists -

Sting miss play-offs Season Over

23 Jakub Vrana – Linkoping – Swe (5'11, 185lbs) Born Feb 1996

Regular Season Stats - 24GP, 2G, 1A - represented CZE at 13/14 World Juionrs - 5GP, 1G, 1A

Has 1 Goal and 1 assist through two Play off games vs Frölunda HC

24 Kevin Fiala – Centre - HV71 – SWE (5'11, 194lbs) Born July 1996

Regular Season Stats - 17GP, 3G, 8A - represented SUI at 13/14 WJC 5GP, 1G 1A

1 assist through 2 play off games Vs Skellefteå AIK

25. Nick Schamltz- Centre – Green Bay – USHL (5'11, 160lbs) Born Feb 1996

Regular Season Stats - 48GP, 13G, 40A

I never said a tank shouldn't be allowed. I was merely responding to the idea that changes to the lottery are because McDavid will be available. And my opinion is that McDavid isn't the reason for the proposed changes, Buffalo's overt admission of tanking is why changes are being proposed.

Time to look at prospects ranked 20 to 40 as there is a good possiblity 3 of them will be drafted by the Sabres: (St.Louis #1, Buffalo #2 and Winnipeg #2)

21 Nikita Scherbak LW – Saskatoon - WHL (6'2 - 174lbs) , Born Dec 1995

Regular Season Stats - 65GP, 28G, 50A - Lead Team in Goals and Assists -

Blades miss play-offs. Season Over

22 Nikolay Goldobin LW – Sania – OHL (6'0 - 185lbs), Born Oct 1995

Regular Season Stats - 67GP, 38G, 56A - Lead team in goals, tied for lead in assists -

Sting miss play-offs Season Over

23 Jakub Vrana – Linkoping – Swe (5'11, 185lbs) Born Feb 1996

Regular Season Stats - 24GP, 2G, 1A - represented CZE at 13/14 World Juionrs - 5GP, 1G, 1A

Has 1 Goal and 1 assist through two Play off games vs Frölunda HC

24 Kevin Fiala – Centre - HV71 – SWE (5'11, 194lbs) Born July 1996

Regular Season Stats - 17GP, 3G, 8A - represented SUI at 13/14 WJC 5GP, 1G 1A

1 assist through 2 play off games Vs Skellefteå AIK

25. Nick Schamltz- Centre – Green Bay – USHL (5'11, 160lbs) Born Feb 1996

Regular Season Stats - 48GP, 13G, 40A

Where are these rankings from?

I never said a tank shouldn't be allowed. I was merely responding to the idea that changes to the lottery are because McDavid will be available. And my opinion is that McDavid isn't the reason for the proposed changes, Buffalo's overt admission of tanking is why changes are being proposed.

I think teams who can't do the type of rebuild the Sabres are, are creating noise because they want in on the party. It is more about McDavid than it is the Sabres.

This is what kills me about this whole proposed changes. Most teams know that you will probably get a great player drafting 1-3. It's not our fault this is the way Buffalo wants to go. Selling off a failed core and other vets to load up on prospects and future picks. So be it. If other teams want to go this route then so be it. It's been $hitty watching this crap team underachieve over and over again and always hovering between 8-13.

This

This is what kills me about this whole proposed changes. Most teams know that you will probably get a great player drafting 1-3. It's not our fault this is the way Buffalo wants to go. Selling off a failed core and other vets to load up on prospects and future picks. So be it. If other teams want to go this route then so be it. It's been $hitty watching this crap team underachieve over and over again and always hovering between 8-13.

You are only looking at it from a fans point of view. Look at it from the league's point of view. Having a member of your league purposely ice a team that is not intended to win is not in any way good for the league.

As a fan I am Ok with what the Sabres are doing this season. But I can definitely understand why the league wouldn't want it to occur and try to take steps to prevent it in the future.

You are only looking at it from a fans point of view. Look at it from the league's point of view. Having a member of your league purposely ice a team that is not intended to win is not in any way good for the league.

As a fan I am Ok with what the Sabres are doing this season. But I can definitely understand why the league wouldn't want it to occur and try to take steps to prevent it in the future.

Then the league is full of idiots who don't understand how to build a team. Almost every cup winner with the exception of Detroit since the 05 lockout has bottomed out in the decade prior to winning a cup.

Then the league is full of idiots who don't understand how to build a team. Almost every cup winner with the exception of Detroit since the 05 lockout has bottomed out in the decade prior to winning a cup.

The difference is none of those teams went out and rubbed the rest of the league's nose in it by publicly declaring that they are going to lose come hell or high water.

The difference is none of those teams went out and rubbed the rest of the league's nose in it by publicly declaring that they are going to lose come hell or high water.

I don't remember seeing that stated publicly anywhere. There is a difference between accepting the results of a roster turnover and intentionally attempting to lose games. The former has been SOP since expansion beyond the original 6.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.